Prospect Info: Magua's 2018 NHL Pseudo Draft Guide

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I was literally about to make a post, but thank you kindly, Striiker.

c261a3f5dbb4793502919d9dea16b7c752ccbab0.gif
LMFAO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I forget where I saw it but I randomly came across this article that was from some girl who caught her boyfriend trolling on reddit. He left his iPad with his account open & that’s how she caught him. It was a seriously article but I read like two paragraphs & couldn’t stop laughing thinking about that South Park episode. :laugh:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Tks for the great read OP (i'm only down to the H's), those are some in depth write-ups :).

I don't want to be the guy who just points out negatives/disagreements, but how you came to the conclusion that Hughes has a better shot than Boqvist is really questionable to me.

I had to go back to the write up on Boqvist- his shot is "arm flinging" ? I see Boqvist's shot as being more stick whippy- than arm flingy. It's a great wrist shot- reminds me a little of Pettersson's wrist shot. I do question how that's going to work at the nhl level from the defence position though. I'd say the same for Hughes, who's wrister goals always seem to be within 15 feet of the net.

I will consider I may have been severely under-rating Hughes' shot. No question on Hughes looking like a guaranteed #1 PP qb. The idea of him feeding the puck to Boeser and Pettersson in a couple/few years would give me great hope should the Canucks draft him. Much more so than a d-man with a great shot.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Would we trade #14 + #19 + #50 to move up to 7 to grab Dobson if he was still available?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I would rather take swings at 2 defensemen between 14, 19, and 50 than trade up for one (not including Dahlin of course).

The flyers don't need top 6 wingers badly . I would rather add a good rhd prospect. Their are incredibly valuable trade chips and very valuable to the team.

I think with Allison, lacynzki vorobyov, rubtsov, etc . The flyers have plenty of good bottom 6 forwards prospects. They also have some good top 6 prospects like frost and ratcliffe. I think they emphasis should be on getting one good D then adding 3 or 4 more prospects to an already very deep prospect pool. If dobson is available I would try to trade up to grab him.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The flyers don't need top 6 wingers badly . I would rather add a good rhd prospect. Their are incredibly valuable trade chips and very valuable to the team.

I think with Allison, lacynzki vorobyov, rubtsov, etc . The flyers have plenty of good bottom 6 forwards prospects. They also have some good top 6 prospects like frost and ratcliffe. I think they emphasis should be on getting one good D then adding 3 or 4 more prospects to an already very deep prospect pool. If dobson is available I would try to trade up to grab him.

We dont have a single Elite winger prospect in the system and our 2 best wingers are around 30 years old. Drafting 1 or 2 as their eventual replacements and to support TK and Oskar is pretty important.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I don't get what you are trying to say. They have good young defensemen too and they can add to that this weekend.

I don't believe in top 6 prospects and bottom 6 prospects either (and I would disagree with some of your classifications).

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Defensemen isn’t like centers. It’s not nearly uncommon to land a top pairing caliber one outside of the top 5-10 range.

True but it's becoming more unusual. Usually smaller d can be gotten in the second round but big d that can skate and have offensive sense will always go top 10. I'm trust the flyers scouts but I would rather go for quality over quantity; and D over a winger.

I think giroux will be elite winger for the next 4 years; same with voracek who for some reason does not get enough respect; konen is elite for the next 10 years. We have some unheralded winger prospects who can become top 6 like strome . I would rather take the D then try to add a potential 50 or 60 point winger .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get what you are trying to say. They have good young defensemen too and they can add to that this weekend.

I don't believe in top 6 prospects and bottom 6 prospects either (and I would disagree with some of your classifications).

Yeah you need 3 good lines with 6 good wingers nowadays.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't want to be the guy who just points out negatives/disagreements, but how you came to the conclusion that Hughes has a better shot than Boqvist is really questionable to me.

I had to go back to the write up on Boqvist- his shot is "arm flinging" ? I see Boqvist's shot as being more stick whippy- than arm flingy. It's a great wrist shot- reminds me a little of Pettersson's wrist shot. I do question how that's going to work at the nhl level from the defence position though. I'd say the same for Hughes, who's wrister goals always seem to be within 15 feet of the net.

I will consider I may have been severely under-rating Hughes' shot. No question on Hughes looking like a guaranteed #1 PP qb. The idea of him feeding the puck to Boeser and Pettersson in a couple/few years would give me great hope should the Canucks draft him. Much more so than a d-man with a great shot.

(@Superlative Soup too)

I maybe could've worded it better. I think Boqvist has a good wrist shot of course (similar level to Hughes). He POSITIONS himself well too to shoot close, which is very important. I think Quinn has a better slap shot (and is adept at taking slap shots moving laterally w/ the puck) and one timer; I don't think Boqvist is as strong there. Quinn's release on all his shots is so fast. And he's also good at positioning himself in tight and wiring it. Boqvist doesn't always "fling" his shot, but he can have a habit of taking really off balance shots that are too much arm flinging, instead of using momentum and lower body and wrists and stuff. Sometimes not at great times either, like he could work the cycle more. I just feel Quinn is a bit more intuitive. It's more a critique of how he uses his shot than his actual form when set up.

Reactions: Superlative Soup

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
True but it's becoming more unusual. Usually smaller d can be gotten in the second round but big d that can skate and have offensive sense will always go top 10. I'm trust the flyers scouts but I would rather go for quality over quantity; and D over a winger.

Not really. The recent drafts haven’t played out enough to make that conclusion just yet. There’s going to be defensemen who overshoot their projections just like there will be ones that undershoot it. Defensemen are still more volatile than forwards.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We dont have a single Elite winger prospect in the system and our 2 best wingers are around 30 years old. Drafting 1 or 2 as their eventual replacements and to support TK and Oskar is pretty important.
But one is signed for 6 years, the other for 4 and people likely will want him re-signed.

But it is true, we are now starting to draft guys to possibly replace top guys in 4 years. Maybe a Dman in case we lose one in expansion or Ghost before his contract ends. A winger for maybe Giroux or Jake. A C for maybe Couts.

We are actually finally in a spot where we are ok depth wise everywhere. But we do need to hopefully add elite or higher end guys everywhere. Even on D, Myers is the last piece really and adding a D with top pairing upside to develop for 2-3 years is going to be needed. I guess that happens when guys start to graduate.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But one is signed for 6 years, the other for 4 and people likely will want him re-signed.

But it is true, we are now starting to draft guys to possibly replace top guys in 4 years. Maybe a Dman in case we lose one in expansion or Ghost before his contract ends. A winger for maybe Giroux or Jake. A C for maybe Couts.

We are actually finally in a spot where we are ok depth wise everywhere. But we do need to hopefully add elite or higher end guys everywhere. Even on D, Myers is the last piece really and adding a D with top pairing upside to develop for 2-3 years is going to be needed. I guess that happens when guys start to graduate.

A guy like Farabee or Kravstov are probably 2 years away at least and then they can start off at the bottom of the lineup and work their way up as Giroux and Voracek age. Its a good situation.

I think back to Giroux being drafted in 2006, making the team halfway through the 08-09 season, then taking over as 1C in 2011.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A guy like Farabee or Kravstov are probably 2 years away at least and then they can start off at the bottom of the lineup and work their way up as Giroux and Voracek age. Its a good situation.

I think back to Giroux being drafted in 2006, making the team halfway through the 08-09 season, then taking over as 1C in 2011.
Well yeah because in realty, Ratcliffe and Allison "should" be ahead of whoever we take really as having the inside track on the 3rd line. Or even 2nd line should Lindblom falter.

We have a ton of other forwards too that still have that mid 6 upside. But as we both have said, we can use the high end/elite guys on the wings for prospects. And I add that we need one on D too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad