Post-Game Talk: MAFight Night in Pittsburgh, Penguins-5, Canadiens - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The physicality is something I worry about with Maatta and Niskanen, there's not even any faux physicality. It's something that could be really bad in the playoffs, and it's where you run into lesser players bringing something very important. Maatta's first playoffs and he's in a soft pairing. It will be remedied when Bylsma sits Maatta for Engelland-Niskanen.

Well, it's not as if I haven't predicted this happening. It's almost as if Bylsma is setting it up to happen. Honestly, if I didn't know any better . . .

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In person view of the game:

+ Geno: I noticed it from some of his first strides.... he was in the zone and a beast. He put on one hell of a show. Well worth the price of admission.

+ Pyatt: Man.. he serves more of a purpose on the 4th line than Glass, Adams, & Koby. He actually skates decently. Not fast.. but strong. He's really good on the board. He isn't a great hockey player, but definitely has purpose to play on the 4th line. He's even better than Engo on the 4th.

+ Maatta's vision: The confidence is almost all the way back. He's making rookie mistakes, but that fake-slapper pass was beautiful. He has so much skill I can't help but love watching him play. Even with the rookie mistakes, you can just see the talent.

+ Fleury: Solid game.

+ Refs: Good job stopping that fight. I know it's not a fan favorite... but stopping that stops some of the **** that is unnecessary in the game. Trust me.... it was for the better.

+ Megna: GOD I love his game live! You have to see him battle in front of the net and see his speed. This guy deserves to be in the line up. His speed is insane and he actually has better vision than you expect. But I'm telling you... he's one of the few guys we have (Pyatt another) who goes to the front and sets up shop. He wants to be there. He owns it. I love it. Megnatron needs to stay and Sutter DESPERATELY needs help on that 3rd line w/ skill.

- Crosby: Yes.. he had 2 amazing plays (catching the puck off his skate and splitting the defense & his tip-in). I think that was amazing. But his effort (live) is pathetic. BIG loops and lazy lethargic skating. Pathetic skating in terms of what Sid does. He was just looping around in the d-zone while Briere (his man) was right on our door step wide open. Luckily it didn't hurt us. Sid looks like he's mailing it in and conserving energy for the Olympics.

I do not mean to be hard on him, but watching him live multiple times and knowing his game... I was disappointed. You could see he is just conserving energy. Maybe that is a good thing?

- Adams/Glass: I swear on my life I'm not just speaking to HFers and saying this for your good. Jaded/Jiggy (can't remember which one) is 100% right about Adams. Live... he is the slowest player in the NHL. He does nothing out there. However, he actually means more than Glass. Tanner Glass is ****ing PATHETIC. I have never seen a guy more pathetic. He seriously does nothing out there. These two guys need let go/cut/whatever. They are so ****ing bad.

- Sutter: He needs help and help quick. Dear lord give him some skill. Give him anything.

Please get rid of Koby, Adams, and Glass.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

+ Geno: I noticed it from some of his first strides.... he was in the zone and a beast. He put on one hell of a show. Well worth the price of admission.

+ Pyatt: Man.. he serves more of a purpose on the 4th line than Glass, Adams, & Koby. He actually skates decently. Not fast.. but strong. He's really good on the board. He isn't a great hockey player, but definitely has purpose to play on the 4th line. He's even better than Engo on the 4th.

+ Maatta's vision: The confidence is almost all the way back. He's making rookie mistakes, but that fake-slapper pass was beautiful. He has so much skill I can't help but love watching him play. Even with the rookie mistakes, you can just see the talent.

+ Refs: Good job stopping that fight. I know it's not a fan favorite... but stopping that stops some of the **** that is unnecessary in the game. Trust me.... it was for the better.

+ Megna: GOD I love his game live! You have to see him battle in front of the net and see his speed. This guy deserves to be in the line up. His speed is insane and he actually has better vision than you expect. But I'm telling you... he's one of the few guys we have (Pyatt another) who goes to the front and sets up shop. He wants to be there. He owns it. I love it. Megnatron needs to stay and Sutter DESPERATELY needs help on that 3rd line w/ skill.

- Crosby: Yes.. he had 2 amazing plays (catching the puck off his skate and splitting the defense & his tip-in). I think that was amazing. But his effort (live) is pathetic. BIG loops and lazy lethargic skating. Pathetic skating in terms of what Sid does. He was just looping around in the d-zone while Briere (his man) was right on our door step wide open. Luckily it didn't hurt us. Sid looks like he's mailing it in and conserving energy for the Olympics.

I do not mean to be hard on him, but watching him live multiple times and knowing his game... I was disappointed. You could see he is just conserving energy. Maybe that is a good thing?

- Adams/Glass: I swear on my life I'm not just speaking to HFers and saying this for your good. Jaded/Jiggy (can't remember which one) is 100% right about Adams. Live... he is the slowest player in the NHL. He does nothing out there. However, he actually means more than Glass. Tanner Glass is ****ing PATHETIC. I have never seen a guy more pathetic. He seriously does nothing out there. These two guys need let go/cut/whatever. They are so ****ing bad.

- Sutter: He needs help and help quick. Dear lord give him some skill. Give him anything.

Thanks for the feedback.

Question, since you watched live and I know you've been focusing on Maatta among other things . . .

The Maatta-Nisky pairing dealing with Boston or one of the big teams from the West . . . how much of a worry?

Michael8771*

So solid that there was in fact a thread celebrating his awesomeness :sarcasm:

Give it a few more games ... Jokinen will start the downward part of his cycle.

As for Sutter, as has already been mentioned, he is a center who has had a revolving cast of wingers that has included such juggernauts as Glass and a couple of guys who were waived. Not to mention Sutter's role on the team is completely different.
I'm well aware of Sutters role but he still needs to contribute at a higher pace than he has. The guy isn't very good offensively. Keep in mind He still gets secondary minutes on the PP. I don't expect him to put up 60 points a season, but 45 would be nice, he likely won't hit 30. As far as JJ is concerned, sure he's streaky, Kunitz is streaky as well. But JJ is contributing to the tune of .72 points per game. Not bad at all.

87CROSBYBEST87

Jan 20, 2014
Fleury:defined by the proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.

Tonight was a perfect example of Contenders vs pretenders; and another reason why Canadian hockey fans have fear of price and subban as starters at Sochi - God help us all.

What a goal by Geno - 5 Stars
goalie-fight-marc-andre-fleury-peter-budaj

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Jokinen plays center at times himself. Regardless, Sutter isn't the offensive player Jokinen is. AINEC!

But Jokinen is a winger. Comparing their situations doesnt really make sense, but since you ended your post with "AINEC" there's probably no reason to continue the discussion.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So solid that there was in fact a thread celebrating his awesomeness :sarcasm:

Give it a few more games ... Jokinen will start the downward part of his cycle.

As for Sutter, as has already been mentioned, he is a center who has had a revolving cast of wingers that has included such juggernauts as Glass and a couple of guys who were waived. Not to mention Sutter's role on the team is completely different.

I'm beginning to think everyone goes through a period where they slightly hate Sutter.

He's grown on me over the course of his AHL trip, he's handled a really brutal situation well. I'm not sure that Bylsma actually knows what to do with Sutter at this point, but it's all supposed to happen with a revolving door of AHL wingers or Gladams. I've never been able to figure out what the hell Sutter's line is built for, remember when its identity was midget wingers?

Jokinen knows what his role is, he's effective in his role. I want him on Sutter's wing... I still miss Cooke.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But Jokinen is a winger. Comparing their situations doesnt really make sense, but since you ended your post with "AINEC" there's probably no reason to continue the discussion.

That is true, but his larger point about how integral Sutter is holds IMO. Throw out his last name and the circumstances according to which he was acquired. For the money (and the money he's going to get), would you rather Sutter or Talbot as your 3C? That's not a knock per se, but I'm in the camp that doesn't see him as vital to anything. If he and a defensive prospect get me a winger for Sid, then I'm o'k with Jussi centering L3 for a cup run or renting Ott on the grounds that the risk is well worth the reward.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Quick Nisky note: He is really coming into his own but once again... he should have tied his guy up in front of the net on the only MTL goal. I love how #2 is playing... but he needs to sure up his d-game.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would rather have Brandon Sutter than Max Talbot as my 3C. I don't see how there's a debate there despite how much I like Talbot as a person.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Nice to see the pens destroy a team.

-refs preventing fleury from fighting
+juicy
+Malkin
+fleury
+Crosby

So are we just going to ride out this whole Kobasew debacle until the deadline???

I'd call that a big + given Budaj's martial arts background.

Michael8771*

I would rather have Brandon Sutter than Max Talbot as my 3C. I don't see how there's a debate there despite how much I like Talbot as a person.
In that scenario I'd pick Sutter myself, though that in and of itself isn't really saying much. Now, if Sutters salary goes up to say three million per, then I'd rather have Talbot and his salary. If his last name wasn't ''Sutter'', I don't think he'd be as high in some peoples thoughts as he is.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
In that scenario I'd pick Sutter myself, though that in and of itself isn't really saying much. Now, if Sutters salary goes up yo say thee million per, then I'd rather have Talbot and his salary.

I honestly can't fathom how anyone would make that choice. 3M is average salary for a third line center. If Sutter was able to produce offensively with AHL scrubs, his next contract would be something we couldn't afford.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In that scenario I'd pick Sutter myself, though that in and of itself isn't really saying much. Now, if Sutters salary goes up yo say thee million per, then I'd rather have Talbot and his salary.

That was my point, precisely (it wasn't to say Sutter < Talbot in some bubble). Glad someone caught it.

The other point is that Sutter shouldn't be untouchable. Even if you like him, think the deck has been stacked against him, whatever . . . there's nothing about his game that says you don't trade him with a defensive prospect to get Sid a winger.

Obviously, his last name, the circumstances by which he was acquired, and risk aversion will prevent it from happening in the real Shero world.

Michael8771*

I honestly can't fathom how anyone would make that choice. 3M is average salary for a third line center. If Sutter was able to produce offensively with AHL scrubs, his next contract would be something we couldn't afford.
Tell me exactly what he does that is so much better than any other capable 3c? What is he so proficient at that sets him apart from others? He's very ordinary an can easily be replaced.

Michael8771*

That was my point, precisely (it wasn't to say Sutter < Talbot in some bubble). Glad someone caught it.

The other point is that Sutter shouldn't be untouchable. Even if you like him, think the deck has been stacked against him, whatever . . . there's nothing about his game that says you don't trade him with a defensive prospect to get Sid a winger.

Obviously, his last name, the circumstances by which he was acquired, and risk aversion will prevent it from happening in the real Shero world.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Whichever line Glass is on gets hemmed in their own zone constantly. He's the common denominator when that happens.

It'll continue to fascinate me how he and Adams continue to be looked at as bottom six fixtures. It's embarrassing how shortsighted the FO is as well as the coaching staff.

It's even worse how the media doesn't say anything about it either, including that lard ass Madden who continues to think he knows everything about everything.

The most frustrating part about all if it is that they actually have the tools already in place to fix the bottom six, making only a single or at most, 2 trades necessary to fix the team instead of several.

The crazy part is, even if Shero goes out and gets some real bottom sixers, the guys they should ideally replacing aren't going to go anywhere.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Cole:

Crosby did have more than just 2 very good plays.. He hit that post (with Megna helping), he also skated like the wind through the 3 players in the neutral zone (3rd period) and had 3 another good chances (6 great chances overall). Could´ve had a hatty at least, if not more.

I can see the point, though. Sid is floating more than usual these days. Sochi definitely might be the reason why. Same with Kunitz, who´s almost invisible as of now.

That said, they can still produce something when not playing with Kobasew. (that´s a pretty big "when", though)

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Maybe Sid taking it easy in anticipation of tough game tomorrow night + knowing 71 in beast mode. The latter seems to happen with some frequency. It seems a little early to mail it in for the Olympics.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
In that scenario I'd pick Sutter myself, though that in and of itself isn't really saying much. Now, if Sutters salary goes up to say three million per, then I'd rather have Talbot and his salary. If his last name wasn't ''Sutter'', I don't think he'd be as high in some peoples thoughts as he is.

Which is funny, because if Staal's last name wasn't Staal, he certainly wouldn't have been as high in some people's thoughts as he is/was.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
And another point:

The game was ****ing over, done, after the 2nd period. Add that to the fact that they had the division locked up at Christmas, there was no reason not to play Megna the rest of the way. He's not TK, there is SOMETHING there, a diamond in the rough, and these ****ing morons are going to dismiss him into obscurity. I can't stand it.

Michael8771*

Which is funny, because if Staal's last name wasn't Staal, he certainly wouldn't have been as high in some people's thoughts as he is/was.
Oh I couldn't agree with you more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+I actually saw Crosby score a goal!

+Geno can dangle. He was flying all night. A few of his vintage Geno highlight reel plays tonight.

+Jokinen scoring two goals.

+Niskanen continues to put up the points. I think he'd be a better option at the moment on the top unit ahead of Letang. At least Niskanen gets his shots on net.

+Subban for being useless tonight.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Give Sutter Gibbons, Megna, JJ, Bennett, or Vitale and watch him produce some secondary scoring. He's not ever going to be the most offensively explosive guy, but he has been severely hampered by players that this board complains about daily.

He also adds defensive and PK abilities. Crosby took a shift on the PK tonight because the Pens only had 3 forwards in the line-up who had any significant PK time (Adams, Glass & Sutter). Kobasew took the subsequent shifts but has had minimal time on PK duty. Give Sutter some more effective wingers, and the Pens actually might have a shut down line that's not Crosby-Kunitz-??

Out of curiousity, if they do move Sutter, who plays 3C? Who kills penalties? Who offers the defensive capabilities with offensive upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad