Post-Game Talk: MAFight Night in Pittsburgh, Penguins-5, Canadiens - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I was kinda hoping you guys would score a couple more when it was 5-1. You know, so we can get rid of this idiot.

k8kc.gif

Correspondant

Jan 4, 2014
Finland/U.S.
I´m so happy for JJ. Despite all criticism here on boards, he´s proved once again he knows what he is doing :yo:

Admire also Malkin, so vigorous and pro, and Maatta, smart and talented.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Really liking Maatta's game.

Geno was in beast mode. Surprised he didn't bury another one really.

Pens seemed in control most of the game and I'm okay with that.

Had mixed feelings about MAF fighting. Really wanted to see what happened if the two mixed, but didn't want a stupid injury to occur. Last live goalie fight I saw was Johnson v. DiPietro and well, wouldn't want to be on the loosing end of one for sure.

That's the difference beetween Sid and Geno: if Sid had played like Geno tonight, you can be sure he would have had at least 4-5 pts but when it's Geno, for some reason, it only results on 2 pts.....probably one of the explanations why one has a 1.41 career ppg and the other 1.23...

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I´m so happy for JJ. Despite all criticism here on boards, he´s proved once again he knows what he is doing :yo:

Admire also Malkin, so vigorous and pro, and Maatta, smart and talented.
The problem is now Neal isn't down low. If the Pens are going to go with an F3 system, they need to put Jokinen and Neal on different lines IMO.

Both of them, and Kunitz too, are at their best when down low in the offensive zone. The thing about Kunitz is that he can play pretty much any way you want it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Another thing to mention tonight. I swear I'm not harping on DB, but I didn't see much change in the system. In the beginning we came up with speed then went right back into our stretches. We also did pretty much the same exact **** as always on the powerplay. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Our skill took over tonight. I was hoping to see some system changes.

One moment really pissed me off w/ Letang. I think it was 3-1 and we were on the PP. Letang PINCHES on a 60/40 puck. That would have left a 2 on 1 or at best a 2 on 2 against two offensive players. Tangers needs to realize that when we are up 2 goals, the focus is on defending the lead. He was so focused on offense and it pissed me off. It didn't bite us in the ass, but it was close. It's those mental decisions that can be the difference between winning and losing.

But nonetheless - you cannot deny this team's skill when it's on. Geno was unstoppable and I'm glad we responded with a 5-1 win.

The not stopping/starting and crazy loops. At least I didn't see the absurd amount of east/west passing. I guess I'll wait and see what he does after the olympics. I just really cannot believe i'm watching #87 conserve energy. It just feels strange.

Not being a dick, but: why would you expect change?

Bylsma never admitted anything, other than effort, was wrong. He didn't change anything, but instead asked them to execute better.

Or, to put it a different way:

he wanted them to get to their game.

Penguinzilla*

Megna looked great for the few shifts he had. Great puck control and patient. He definitely earned himself a trip to the AHL with that kind of performance.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
+ Refs: for stopping the goalie fight. Fleury would have gotten destroyed.
+ JJ: he is shooting at 17.9% since becoming a Penguin (13.5% career) at almost exactly 2 shots/game. They need to find ways to get him more shots.
+ Megna: every time I see him on the ice it gives me hope.

- Glass: 12:12 of EV ice time and just nothing to show for it. Nothing.
- Adams: the Subway sandwich of the game hits an all-time low. Might be a good time to invest in Quiznos?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Megna looked great for the few shifts he had. Great puck control and patient. He definitely earned himself a trip to the AHL with that kind of performance.

He played very well, had great shifts but in the first period unfortunately had to play on the 4th line and had to set up Adams of all players that wide open net which he fanned on of course :shakehead

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
- Adams: the Subway sandwich of the game hits an all-time low. Might be a good time to invest in Quiznos?

The funniest **** I have ever seen or read. Why can't this guy ever get hurt? He's like the Wolverine, but without his cool razor claws.

That check looked like some move out of Tekken 2, AND he missed his guy.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The funniest **** I have ever seen or read. Why can't this guy ever get hurt? He's like the Wolverine, but without his cool razor claws.

That check looked like some move out of Tekken 2, AND he missed his guy.

hard to get hurt chasing the play. Don't even think he skates hard enough to pull something.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's the difference beetween Sid and Geno: if Sid had played like Geno tonight, you can be sure he would have had at least 4-5 pts but when it's Geno, for some reason, it only results on 2 pts.....probably one of the explanations why one has a 1.41 career ppg and the other 1.23...

:laugh:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ JMN Another great game for that line, its the first time i can remember a team putting there top def pair against the Malkin line this year.

+Martin/Orpik Just like a great center can make his wingers better, a great def can make his partner better, really good game out of the pens top def pairing.

- Sid 5 on 5, he hasn't done much without Dupuis or Neal, i know Kobasew is terrible, but Sid's been able to still produce with bad line mates in the past, i expect more from the best player in the world.

I thought it was unusual for DB to start playing some new PK players the past couple games, it doesn't seem like something he would try considering the pens have the best PK in the league.

I wonder if Shero is thinking about trading some of the PK players, maybe DB wants to see how some other players play on the PK.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure Adams is or was hurt at some point. During the most recent In the Room episode, it looked like he had some type of cast on his hand. It seems as though a broken finger or two isn't enough to keep him out of the lineup however.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The problem is now Neal isn't down low. If the Pens are going to go with an F3 system, they need to put Jokinen and Neal on different lines IMO.

Both of them, and Kunitz too, are at their best when down low in the offensive zone. The thing about Kunitz is that he can play pretty much any way you want it.

How is Jokinen at his best when he's down low? I agree with Errey on this one. Jokinen is a great positional players so F3 is perfect for him. He will be in good defensive position and "lurks in the weeds" and then slides into an open position for a scoring chance. I don't remember many of his goals coming from working the cycle or battling down low in the offensive zone. Most of his scoring chances come out of nowhere and sneaking into scoring position.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm pretty sure Adams is or was hurt at some point. During the most recent In the Room episode, it looked like he had some type of cast on his hand. It seems as though a broken finger or two isn't enough to keep him out of the lineup however.

Not like he ever had good hands to begin with.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought it was unusual for DB to start playing some new PK players the past couple games, it doesn't seem like something he would try considering the pens have the best PK in the league.

I wonder if Shero is thinking about trading some of the PK players, maybe DB wants to see how some other players play on the PK.

Who was new? Crosby, Kunitz, and Kobe played here and there. That has more to do with Sill sitting and Vitale and Dupuis being injured than any possible trades. Last night, we only dressed 3 regular PK forwards. Other guys had to play there.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Fleury's an idiot. No reason to entertain a backup like Budaj.

I thought that was pretty stupid also, but then most goalie fights are stupid / pointless. If he goes out there and breaks a couple fingers, we're ****ed. Zatkoff has been solid as a backup but a starting NHL goalie he ain't.

Meantime Bob Errey earned his annual 3rd of 4-5 plusses this season, with this gem:

(paraphrasing) "That would be awesome, Steigy! Auction to come down here with me... we can watch Fleury skating by... you get to touch the players. It would be like a Penguins petting zoo... just don't pet the animals when they're angry. That's dangerous!"

WTF :laugh:

There is no way I'm auctioning to have my kid stand in the box with Bob Errey. No telling how many stories about 5 holes and big sticks might be told when off-air. That Errey... he's got a little creeper in him I think. Errey the Cornball Creeper.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Who was new? Crosby, Kunitz, and Kobe played here and there. That has more to do with Sill sitting and Vitale and Dupuis being injured than any possible trades. Last night, we only dressed 3 regular PK forwards. Other guys had to play there.

Your right, good point, didn't realize only 3 of the regular PK forwards played.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Still love watching Geno's goal and how he just strolls into the Habs zone and right to their net. Glad hes playing great, just hope he can stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad