Post-Game Talk: MAFight Night in Pittsburgh, Penguins-5, Canadiens - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Was 29 aware of Budaj’s martial arts training? “No I wasn’t. I’d have kept my helmet(laughs)…does he really? Maybe that’s a good thing then†@penguins

for some reason this made me think of that wide mouth frog joke :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
haha wtf. you're so random ;)

As for the rest, it doesn't even need to be someone "good" at this point. Just someone who doesn't end offensive possessions.

If someone can name a shift he contributed offensively while on the Sid/Kunitz line, I'd love to hear it.

Does that Megna kid with his picture on my milk carton count?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it's kind of ridiculous to criticize JJ in terms of consistency when you got Sutter who seldom shows up on the score sheet. I don't see Sutter getting criticized. And frankly he's deserving of it far more than Jokinen who's having a very nice season for himself.

Well said. Others will come in and say his line-mates haven't been steady and that would be a valid argument. In the end he still needs to be better regardless.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's kind of ridiculous to criticize JJ in terms of consistency when you got Sutter who seldom shows up on the score sheet. I don't see Sutter getting criticized. And frankly he's deserving of it far more than Jokinen who's having a very nice season for himself.

Actually, there's been quite the Sutter debate here. Some think he's a victim of linemates. Me . . . I'm in the camp that says but for his last name and the circumstances according to which he was acquired, there's little to distinguish him from someone like Max Talbot as a 3C, and actually Talbot does bring intangibles that have made a difference for teams in the playoffs.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I'm not asking for Sharpe and Hossa, but at least give Sid and Geno enough that, if they go God against a team like Boston, they'll be forces and, even if they don't go God, they've got enough help to make positive impacts.

I think a solid RW and a guy or two that can have an impact on the bottom six will solidify the roster. I'm kinda liking how Pyatt has been playing and contributing. If Bennett can come back and stay healthy, I wouldn't mind giving Pyatt-Sutter-Bennett a look. Really, for all the complaining that goes on around here, they aren't too far off in terms of personnel. That's not to say Bylsma won't completely jack it up. I'm more than content with the second line staying as is. In fact, like I said earlier, I think it's a better line than Iginla-Malkin-Neal.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
haha wtf. you're so random ;)

As for the rest, it doesn't even need to be someone "good" at this point. Just someone who doesn't end offensive possessions.

If someone can name a shift he contributed offensively while on the Sid/Kunitz line, I'd love to hear it.

You mean for the Pens, right?

The issue with Kobasew is that he has no asset to bring to the line or any line. Ignoring talent.

Zolnierczyk - speed, nuisance, effort
Gibbons - speed, effort
Megna - speed, effort
Vitale - speed, effort
Engelland - physicality, effort
Sill - physicality, nuisance, effort
Pyatt - size, effort (he's found more than the triplets of suck)

They're not all talented, they mostly wouldn't do anything for KC, but they bring more than Kobasew. He's similar to Gladams like that, he's just there and that's it. He offers nothing and he's ****ing lazy.

Effort is kind of a joke, but Kobasew is god damn lazy to boot.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think a solid RW and a guy or two that can have an impact on the bottom six will solidify the roster. I'm kinda liking how Pyatt has been playing and contributing. If Bennett can come back and stay healthy, I wouldn't mind giving Pyatt-Sutter-Bennett a look. Really, for all the complaining that goes on around here, they aren't too far off in terms of personnel. That's not to say Bylsma won't completely jack it up. I'm more than content with the second line staying as is. In fact, like I said earlier, I think it's a better line than Iginla-Malkin-Neal.

Well, even I like the current 2nd line better than Iginla-Malkin-Neal, because Iginla's inability to handle an outlet pass on the left side was a killer.

BUT, what ailed that line-- and ailed Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora-- is going to rear its head in the playoffs. Line needs a puck retriever. If you want to stack a Kunitz-Sid-Neal line and keep Jokinen with Malkin and a guy who can get the puck, fine.

BTW, Pyatt isn't a guy who sniffs third line duty if this team really has cup aspirations.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Since I haven't said anything nice about him in two years, I'll note that Adams made a nice read on the Penalty Kill that probably saved a goal.

Subban was wide open for a bomb (not sure who was supposed to be covering him, but whoever it was gave him too much space) and Adams read that and picked off the pass, even though it wasn't, strictly speaking, going through his lane.

Fire Shero*

JJ plays with Neal and Geno

Sutter has played with Glass and Pyatt as of late.

Huge difference. I'm neutral when it comes to either, particularly Sutter. He's a decent player, but you aren't going to see him put up good numbers because of who he plays with.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Really liking Maatta's game.

Geno was in beast mode. Surprised he didn't bury another one really.

Pens seemed in control most of the game and I'm okay with that.

Had mixed feelings about MAF fighting. Really wanted to see what happened if the two mixed, but didn't want a stupid injury to occur. Last live goalie fight I saw was Johnson v. DiPietro and well, wouldn't want to be on the loosing end of one for sure.

Michael8771*

JJ plays with Neal and Geno

Sutter has played with Glass and Pyatt as of late.

Huge difference. I'm neutral when it comes to either, particularly Sutter. He's a decent player, but you aren't going to see him put up good numbers because of who he plays with.
And why is he afforded the opportunity to play with them? Because his offensive acumen far exceeds a guy like Sutter. No one can say that JJ hasn't taken the opportunity and ran with it. He's been solid on that line all season long.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
And why is he afforded the opportunity to play with them? Because his offensive acumen far exceeds a guy like Sutter.

Well he's also a winger and Sutter isn't. That might have something to do with why Jokinen is "afforded the opportunity to play with them"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Really liking Maatta's game.

Geno was in beast mode. Surprised he didn't bury another one really.

Pens seemed in control most of the game and I'm okay with that.

Had mixed feelings about MAF fighting. Really wanted to see what happened if the two mixed, but didn't want a stupid injury to occur. Last live goalie fight I saw was Johnson v. DiPietro and well, wouldn't want to be on the loosing end of one for sure.

Really liking the mental toughness, not just bouncing back from a bad play or even a bad game like we've seen before, but now showing that he's bouncing back from a bad stretch of games.

Only worry with him is with him and Nisky not being very physical back there. Caught Geno clearing a guy who got behind both of them on a shift, caught it also (not sure if Geno or someone else) last game.

Michael8771*

Well he's also a winger and Sutter isn't. That might have something to do with why Jokinen is "afforded the opportunity to play with them"
Jokinen plays center at times himself. Regardless, Sutter isn't the offensive player Jokinen is. AINEC!

turd

Feb 1, 2013
BUT, what ailed that line-- and ailed Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora-- is going to rear its head in the playoffs. Line needs a puck retriever. If you want to stack a Kunitz-Sid-Neal line and keep Jokinen with Malkin and a guy who can get the puck, fine.

I'm still not buying it. A lot of that line's offense comes off of rushes instead of dump-and-chase. They tend to have little trouble entering the zone and creating chances. And there's more than enough talent on that line to finish their chances. What that line needs, specifically Geno and Neal, is to play more levelheaded in the post-season and not go ape ****.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Seeing MAF skating toward Budaj with that silly grin reminded me of DePietro's silly grin in anticipation of a fight. Probably would have ended the same way too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Really liking the mental toughness, not just bouncing back from a bad play or even a bad game like we've seen before, but now showing that he's bouncing back from a bad stretch of games.

Only worry with him is with him and Nisky not being very physical back there. Caught Geno clearing a guy who got behind both of them on a shift, caught it also (not sure if Geno or someone else) last game.

I wish Maatta was a bit faster

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm still not buying it. A lot of that line's offense comes off of rushes instead of dump-and-chase. They tend to have little trouble entering the zone and creating chances. And there's more than enough talent on that line to finish their chances. What that line needs, specifically Geno and Neal, is to play more levelheaded in the post-season and not go ape ****.

Rushes against whom? Winnipeg. An out of it Montreal team. I'm not worried about JJ-Malkin-Neal putting up points against guys like that on balance.

Look, if you can assure me that the Pens, like 2009, will face the conference's three weakest defensive teams and then meet a team in the finals where the one guy they've got to shut down Geno has a broken ankle, then I'm fine with the line, no changes.

But, against a tough defensive team, the Pens will pay the price for asking Geno to do the dirty work for Jokinen.

Agree to disagree.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
And why is he afforded the opportunity to play with them? Because his offensive acumen far exceeds a guy like Sutter. No one can say that JJ hasn't taken the opportunity and ran with it. He's been solid on that line all season long.

So solid that there was in fact a thread celebrating his awesomeness :sarcasm:

Give it a few more games ... Jokinen will start the downward part of his cycle.

As for Sutter, as has already been mentioned, he is a center who has had a revolving cast of wingers that has included such juggernauts as Glass and a couple of guys who were waived. Not to mention Sutter's role on the team is completely different.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wish Maatta was a bit faster

I wish he were a little fatter and more annoying, but to each his own.

Seriously, him and Nisky both being pickle stabbers is a worry if we face Boston or one of the bullies from the West if we're lucky to avoid the tough defensive team and a hot goalie (;)) in the conference.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

The physicality is something I worry about with Maatta and Niskanen, there's not even any faux physicality. It's something that could be really bad in the playoffs, and it's where you run into lesser players bringing something very important. Maatta's first playoffs and he's in a soft pairing. It will be remedied when Bylsma sits Maatta for Engelland-Niskanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad