Confirmed with Link: MAF to Hawks

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Says he wants to play but that's all. No welcome message or that he's excited to play as per usual today. And it took him days to figure out whether to retire or not. Again, I called all of this. The rest we'll find out over the season. I'm sceptical. I've been right about what went down after the trade so I'm probably right about the rest, too. I'd be surprised if he's at his best but we'll find out. Certainly no reason for excitement right now.

Also, I laughed reading that nbc article, sounding like Bowman was generous and such a nice bloke giving Fleury time. As if he ever had a chance. Fleury could have screwed Bowman to a point where it could have cost him his job if he wanted to. Had Fleury delayed his decision until preseason, I'm not sure Bowman could have done anything about it. Fleury had him by his balls.
You sure about that?

I posted weeks if not months ago that Fleury would probably retire or sit on his ass and shit the bed if he's moved. Did Bowman really think he'd be motivated to play for the Blackhawks? After all of those comments about not wanting to go anywhere?
Bold statement for such a pale guy.

If I'm Fleury, I'm not helping the Blackhawks by making a decision soon. Why should he? So the Blackhawks can free up cap space for Free Agency?:laugh:
That's Stanley's problem, not Fleury's.
We'll we appreciate it that you're not.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I think just having Fleury on the team will benefit Lankinen greatly. I'm sure he's going to be a great mentor for Kevin.

I mean, he might even be able to show him how to make some of the ridiculous acrobatic saves that he's made over the span of his career. I doubt it, but you never know :laugh:. We might see the birth of Kevin Lankinen 2.0.

I hope he doesn't teach him how to screw up at inopportune times though. Boy, MAF has let in some dandies over the years. I still remember him crumbling against the US in the World Juniors :skeptic:.

That being said, I'm excited for the season to start.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Say what you will, but it's pretty clear the Hawks run a top notch organization. Players 100% still want to be here.

Stan's absolute biggest strength is how he is with the players imo. So patient and never pushes the wrong buttons.

Only sad about the Crow situation. Have to imagine he feels a little bad about going with a same age vet just one season after he was shown the door.

Last season's results obviously changed a lot, but still.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Stan's absolute biggest strength is how he is with the players imo. So patient and never pushes the wrong buttons.

Only sad about the Crow situation. Have to imagine he feels a little bad about going with a same age vet just one season after he was shown the door.

Crow's age wasn't the thing that stopped him from being re-signed, it was his concussion history. If he was healthy, the team would've likely tried to arrange the cap last season to make it work.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

The Crow situation was sad, but the guy just couldn't stay healthy. It was really for his own benefit that the Hawks moved on. He retired as a result, which was probably the best thing for his health.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How would you have spent the money?
The thing people forget especially with goalies is how hard that 2nd full season in the league really is.

Just look at Carter Hart and his struggles.

Getting MAF here was absolutely huge if only to help take pressure/weight of Lanks again. They can do a 50-50 split for all I care, but from ALL accounts, MAF is a tremendous teammate and mentor- his presence here alone will help Lanks out long term. There is no better way we could have spent that money to fill the net IMO. Especially with it being a 1 year deal....with maybe an extension depending how well he does...who knows.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The thing people forget especially with goalies is how hard that 2nd full season in the league really is.

Just look at Carter Hart and his struggles.

Getting MAF here was absolutely huge if only to help take pressure/weight of Lanks again. They can do a 50-50 split for all I care, but from ALL accounts, MAF is a tremendous teammate and mentor- his presence here alone will help Lanks out long term. There is no better way we could have spent that money to fill the net IMO. Especially with it being a 1 year deal....with maybe an extension depending how well he does...who knows.

Bingo. Even if you believe Lankinen can be your #1 going forward, it's imperative to have a veteran goalie here to help him.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
  • How is this team significantly better than the team with Crawford/Lehner?
  • Aside from Fluery, when did Chicago weaponize their cap space?
  • They FINALLY had a break from a ton of bad contracts. It lasted five minutes.
  • Chicago mortgaged a significant part of their future to spend 9.5 million on Seth Jones.
  • The biggest issue I have is instead of acquiring under valued assets this past year (Ned from Carolina, Bennett from Calgary) Chicago is overpaying for EVERYTHING.
  • Chicago lost assets - like Suter - for nothing. That is NOT maximizing assets.
  • I don't think this is the path to sustained success; this is a path to save your butt. And that road never works out for the team.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
  • Chicago mortgaged a significant part of their future to spend 9.5 million on Seth Jones.
  • The biggest issue I have is instead of acquiring under valued assets this past year (Ned from Carolina, Bennett from Calgary) Chicago is overpaying for EVERYTHING.
  • Chicago lost assets - like Suter - for nothing. That is NOT maximizing assets.
  • I don't think this is the path to sustained success; this is a path to save your butt. And that road never works out for the team.

Look outside. The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.

Reactions: Bubba88

UncleElroy

Can Stan
Jun 22, 2021

Also the reason he’s never won a contract negotiation

Reactions: Pertti

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I wanted Jonathan Quick to mentor Lanks, this is a great compromise:sarcasm:. I cannot f***ing wait to see him play.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Lehner is a mental midget, he is not as good of a goalie lots seem to think,
next Vegas season will show you that, when he needs to do everything alone, by himself, he can't.

As much i like Crow, his career was done for, his body was done for,
Lankinen/Fleury is a top 3 goalie duo in the NHL

Seth Jones is 26 year old franchise d-man, his prime is still coming...'nuff said

Overpaying??? how so???

Lost assets??? you gotta give to receive, its one of the oldest truth's in the world,
its business, it sucks, but its just is. Besides its not like Hawks lost anything super major
and what came back...way better what was lost, well in Jones anyway, Suter > Johnson.

This is still a young team, even with Fleury & Johnson additions,
there are plenty of rising stars, future superstars to build on,
with these additions however, Hawks became a play-offs team
and lit bit of luck, who knows how far can Hawks go.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
And to add,.. for example....its not like PKane is old or anything, dude is only 32 for crying out loud!!.
and Toews is only 33, in todays NHL, 30-33 are still at their prime, the age is going up,
more and more 35-40+ players in the NHL, 40+ players can still play well, 30-33? really well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad