Speculation: MacKinnon: “Barrie is getting at least $9M”

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
There is a lot of context that is missing in this quote. MacKinnon was referring to Biz saying Barrie would get $9M from a previous interview, more quoting him than saying it himself. This interview also took place before Barrie was traded.

But lets turn this into a thing instead I guess. Do you HF.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If Barrie puts up his usual numbers, $9M in free agency isn't a crazy figure.

Unless he completely bombs this season, Toronto will be hard-pressed to re-sign him.

Neither of these statements are controversial.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
John Carlson got just over 10% of the cap over 8 years. Barrie is, on his best day, equal to Carlson, but doesn’t have the Stanley Cup pedigree that Carlson did when he signed. I don’t think Barrie should or will get $9M.

Reactions: Magic Man

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Barrie 9 million IMO is very possible, Rielly is going to be 11+ million easy by the time his contract is done. Leafs play a offensive brand of hockey, both Rielly & Barrie enjoy & excel in that style.....both will get big deals when their contracts expire regardless who they play for.

Jan 21, 2018
this is why i could never understand why so many people (non-leaf fans included) thought that toronto won this deal.

if barrie doesn't re-sign for 8M or under, he'll be overpaid or leaves for nothing as a free agent.

kadri is obviously way better than kerfoot. so 1 year of barrie better be worth it because i feel like benning is going to give barrie 10M if that's what it takes.

if the leafs get to round 2 then this trade will probably be worth it regardless of whether barrie re-signs.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Leafs are going to look so bad on the trade should Barrie leave.
every team needs cap space
every team will go thru what the leafs are experiencing if your younger players are any good
if your lottery picks are lousy u can afford them
leafs have 3 lottery picks that all produced

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
if you listen to chiclets regularly you'd know that biz and whittney will always say a guys is worth 10 million/9 million just because they like seeing their friends getting paid. whats Mack suppose to say >? "Yeah anything over 8 million would forsure be a mistake for any team."

It's funny though, they always say players should get their money (and they should as their earnings period in their life in hockey is like 10 years), but on a recent podcast they were saying how greedy these new guys are (all the RFA holdouts) and they are asking for way too much even though these guys are the ones who are worth it and not the over the hill old free agents.

Mac was saying Barrie should get $9 mil 'cause he is good friends with him and thinks he is really good. In reality I can't see anyone paying Barrie $9mil a year. That'd be what, the 4th highest paid D-man in the league? LOL

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He wont get that type of money from a contender, thats for sure. Sakic knew that he couldnt resign him.

Reactions: deflowd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad