Speculation: MacKinnon: “Barrie is getting at least $9M”

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
if he gets a nickel over 7.25 at 7 years it'll be tragic.
If a guy like Kevin Hayes can get 7.14M$ while getting outproduced by a dman in Barrie in every season minus one. I don't think it is that tragic to think Barrie can make more. If the Avs didn't have Makar I would've been more than happy to sign him around 7.5-8M$.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
They have a good eye for what players will receive on contracts. They're pretty involved. If Nate says it then I probably am inclined to believe it.
Thats the joke.... they say it about every player....

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
In other news... Barrie hires MacKinnon as his new agent.

But in all seriousness... Barrie has the potential to put up big numbers with that offense. He could do himself quite the favor this year

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Highly, highly doubt he gets $9mil, but the fact that a team with an abundance of cap space traded him because he was asking too much should be a red flag.

I think he gets $8mil x 7

Reactions: Foxtail

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This upcoming UFA dman groups main guys are Petro, Barrie, Josi.. Damn rights a team will be offering up 9ish for his services. No brainer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
More interesting is, that when Barrie will be 9M defenceman, Morgan Rielly is quite equal with his production.

Prepare for +10M Rielly after his cheap 3 seasons.

Time will tell. Barrie could also take Rielly's spot on the 1st unit PP and get the better offensive opportunities at 5on5; thereby suppressing Rielly's output moving forward, leaving this past season as his highwater mark heading into those negotiations :dunno:

Rielly's the better blueliner all-around, but it's no stretch to suggest that Barrie is the more offensively talented of the two. Rielly being the better outlet passer but Tyson holding the advantage as a puckrusher & being themore dangerous of the two in the offensive zone.

Tyson drove offense for us regardless of who we put in front of him & has had to carry some truly dreadful partners over the years...with the inconsistent russian giant having been Barrie's best regulay partner while an Av, by a mile. Getting to see what he can do with multiple dangerous lines in front of him & the kind of partners we dreamed of seeing him paired with for years, in a big market, will be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Highly, highly doubt he gets $9mil, but the fact that a team with an abundance of cap space traded him because he was asking too much should be a red flag.

That red flag being significantly muted when you remember that this same team also traded ROR away "because he was asking too much"...and I doubt STL is mad at having to "overpay" him.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
That red flag being significantly muted when you remember that this same team also traded ROR away "because he was asking too much"...and I doubt STL is made at having to "overpay" him.

$7.5mil was absolutely an overpayment at the time. Maybe not by a whole lot, but it was. 10.24% of the cap at that time, which would amount to paying your 2nd line centre $8.4mil x 8 years right now. We also have no evidence to suggest that he would've even taken $7.5mil in COL.

Now, it's very convenient that you mention this after the guy wins the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. Obviously Sakic didn't predict this. Maybe if Barrie leads his team to a Stanley Cup final, then we can justify a $9mil price tag...

Reactions: milehigh11

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

We traded him because of Cale Makar. If we’d won the ‘17 lottery and picked Hischier, we would’ve paid Barrie.

Reactions: milehigh11

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
if he gets a nickel over 7.25 at 7 years it'll be tragic.

For Leaf fans, not the rest of us :D

That would be a hefty deal. I would need to see him put up 65 pts first. He's not very good defensively.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
$7.5mil was absolutely an overpayment at the time. Maybe not by a whole lot, but it was. 10.24% of the cap at that time, which would amount to paying your 2nd line centre $8.4mil x 8 years right now. We also have no evidence to suggest that he would've even taken $7.5mil in COL.

Now, it's very convenient that you mention this after the guy wins the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. Obviously Sakic didn't predict this. Maybe if Barrie leads his team to a Stanley Cup final, then we can justify a $9mil price tag...

Feels like you're missing my point entirely...

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Feels like you're missing my point entirely...

Just seems silly to knock a franchise because of something that happened 4 years ago, in Joe Sakic's very first year as GM. Avs fans are hanging onto the Ryan O'Reilly trade like it was an absolutely detrimental move, and I just don't see it like that.

Joe Sakic has my confidence, not sure about you...

Reactions: Patagonia

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We traded him because of Cale Makar. If we’d won the ‘17 lottery and picked Hischier, we would’ve paid Barrie.

That would be even worse than trading him because we were too cheap or couldn't solve the 2C hole any other way because we had waited so long to get started on it...

The amazing thing about adding Cale was having him & Barrie tilting the ice for us over 42-minutes a night and being able to minimize the damage done by the Cole-EJ pairing getting pinned in its own zone for shifts a time. Cale's presence justified trading EJ, not the guy who was playing over 24 minutes a night for us when our blueline became an advantage for the first time since the top 3 was being locked down by Bourque, Blake & Footer.

But this is badly OT; why we traded him really doesn't matter. Ultimately our FO thought the team was better off with the return than with our package and the Leafs brought him in to help elevate their blueline alongside Rielly, Dermott & Muzzin. Our reasons for the trade don't change the impact he'll have on that team or how much he'll be worth :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: Treebeard

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just seems silly to knock a franchise because of something that happened 4 years ago, in Joe Sakic's very first year as GM. Avs fans are hanging onto the Ryan O'Reilly trade like it was an absolutely detrimental move, and I just don't see it like that.

Joe Sakic has my confidence, not sure about you...

You certainly have a vivid imagination if you are trying to imply that I said anything of the sort...you brought up something irrelevant to this topic and introduced the question of this organization's history of letting "secondary core" guys go, often for salary reasons, only for them to flourish with other organizations.

And thus far Sakic has not shown that that trait is entirely in this organization's history with ROR & now Barrie having joined the Drury's of our past under his watch. This isn't a question of confidence or blind-faith, but of how our organization has operated...and we're only discussing it because you decided to bring the trade into this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad