Speculation: MacKinnon: “Barrie is getting at least $9M”

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He's still a free agent ....lol and you have to pay Muzzin (he's gone), Barrie, Marner and brace yourself for the Rielly raise. Not to mention the other kids that are needing contracts in 2 years (Kap and Andreas.) Why is that so hard to understand?

Kapanen signed for 3 years, Johnsson for 4. Try again. Rielly imo is the most likely choice as next captsin and potentially takes a small discount to make it work (perhaps not). There is likely only enough in budget for one of barrie or muzzin but dubas has proven creative thusfar. Sandin and liligren also on the doorstep as cheap elc to pair w the high priced toys.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I think it depends on the year he has. If he gets 60 points then yeah hed probably get that on the open market.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
if you listen to chiclets regularly you'd know that biz and whittney will always say a guys is worth 10 million/9 million just because they like seeing their friends getting paid. whats Mack suppose to say >? "Yeah anything over 8 million would forsure be a mistake for any team."
Unfortunately true, Biz wanted Simmonds to get a 6 x 5 lol.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
It's funny though, they always say players should get their money (and they should as their earnings period in their life in hockey is like 10 years), but on a recent podcast they were saying how greedy these new guys are (all the RFA holdouts) and they are asking for way too much even though these guys are the ones who are worth it and not the over the hill old free agents.

Mac was saying Barrie should get $9 mil 'cause he is good friends with him and thinks he is really good. In reality I can't see anyone paying Barrie $9mil a year. That'd be what, the 4th highest paid D-man in the league? LOL
Mack was just reiterating what Biz said. They joke around about Barrie getting $ 9 mil.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
this is why i could never understand why so many people (non-leaf fans included) thought that toronto won this deal.

if barrie doesn't re-sign for 8M or under, he'll be overpaid or leaves for nothing as a free agent.

kadri is obviously way better than kerfoot. so 1 year of barrie better be worth it because i feel like benning is going to give barrie 10M if that's what it takes.

if the leafs get to round 2 then this trade will probably be worth it regardless of whether barrie re-signs.
Trade was made to benefit both teams although I was surprised Toronto wanted a Barrie type Dman instead of a more defensively responsible one.

The Avs have Kadri for 3 more years instead of Barrie walking and Toronto 1 year before Barrie walks. I don't see Toronto resigning him.
We will see how it all plays out but I get the feeling Babs is gonna pull his hair out watching Barrie in the defensive zone.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Good luck to the team dumb enough to give Barrie that much money.

Man got double shifted on a PP unit with MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog. He's good, but he ain't that good.
Avs fan here and I agree. Barrie is great at anticipating when to jump into the play and has a good wrist shot and can snipe but his skating is average, his passing is ok but nothing special and he's airheaded at times in the defensive zone and poor defensively

On the pp he could never seem to pass the puck to Mack for a 1 timer, it was always in MacKinnon's feet so they'd try back and forth until Barrie could get it in the right spot. Unfortunately he just couldn't.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If he puts up 70 points, and has a deep run in the playoffs...maybe.

Otherwise, it's just too much. I am a big fan of players getting paid and it would be interesting to see how things shake out with Toronto's cap, but I would be pissed if Lou paid that unless we see him jump into that elite tier.

It could be a Subban-esque storyline...9 million sounds good now, but in 3-4 years, if he loses even a single step, it gets ugly.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Question:

Are fans of other teams jealous that TOR acquired Tyson Barrie?
Avs fan here and some of us jumped for joy and celebrated him being traded.

Take that for what it's worth, 59 points playing with the big dogs and a -3.

Fortunately he's gone and don't have to keep his trade value up

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's not even worth 9 mill on a short term deal. 8 mill would be the absolute max, and it would have to be on a 4 year deal. If he wants 7 or 8 years, 7 mill is the cap and I would not even pay that much.

Otherwise he can hit UFA and we will watch a team regret signing him as much as the Rangers regretted signing Shattenkirk. Offensive defensemen are never worth that kind of money.

I can see Dubas staying strong on 4 years/30 mill and walking otherwise. He may decide to turn to re-signing Muzzin instead at that point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MacKinnon is auditioning for McKenzie's job as hockey's top insider.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Avs fan here and some of us jumped for joy and celebrated him being traded.

Take that for what it's worth, 59 points playing with the big dogs and a -3.

Fortunately he's gone and don't have to keep his trade value up

Well in an alternate universe there were leaf fans ecstatic that the Avs took Kadri. Agitate him a little in the post season and he will likely try to cheap shot someone.

Sorry I said "likely" in that last paragraph. I should have said "most certainly" instead.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Well in an alternate universe there were leaf fans ecstatic that the Avs took Kadri. Agitate him a little in the post season and he will likely try to cheap shot someone.

Sorry I said "likely" in that last paragraph. I should have said "most certainly" instead.
Meh he's on a good deal and at least he shows spunk and care. Barrie will have that bewildered silly smirk on his face on the bench when he screws up in his own end and is responsible for the goal against

Sounds like a good reason the trade happened apparently, both teams wanted to move on

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This thread is literally based off an ongoing joke the pod has. LOL @ labelling this "Speculation"
They have a good eye for what players will receive on contracts. They're pretty involved. If Nate says it then I probably am inclined to believe it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think it depends on the year he has. If he gets 60 points then yeah hed probably get that on the open market.

That would be a pretty large overpayment in itself. 9 mill would be over 10%, and he'd need PPG numbers to justify anyone giving him that type of money without regretting it.

He's not getting PPG numbers with us.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He's still a free agent ....lol and you have to pay Muzzin (he's gone), Barrie, Marner and brace yourself for the Rielly raise. Not to mention the other kids that are needing contracts in 2 years (Kap and Andreas.) Why is that so hard to understand?

"You guys have a lot of really good players, haha. Sucks to be you"

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Meh he's on a good deal and at least he shows spunk and care. Barrie will have that bewildered silly smirk on his face on the bench when he screws up in his own end and is responsible for the goal against

Sounds like a good reason the trade happened apparently, both teams wanted to move on

Hi 5

Reactions: Foxtail

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Wait till Kadri inevitably does something stupid at the worst time. I won't miss Kadri one bit.
Then it looks like a good deal for both sides. Wait until negotiating a contract with Barrie and Newport. My guess is this is a 1 and done for the Leafs anyhow and they already know this.

With Sandin and Liligren coming I doubt they are even considering re signing Barrie

Reactions: Curufinwe

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Then it looks like a good deal for both sides. Wait until negotiating a contract with Barrie and Newport. My guess is this is a 1 and done for the Leafs anyhow and they already know this.

With Sandin and Liligren coming I doubt they are even considering re signing Barrie

Yeah I'd imagine it's a pretty hard line from Dubas. It's probably an offer like 4 x 7.5-8 mill (which is comparable to Shattenkirk) or you can leave. We also have Muzzin as a re-signing option, and he's far more likely to take a discount for us.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Yeah I'd imagine it's a pretty hard line from Dubas. It's probably an offer like 4 x 7.5-8 mill (which is comparable to Shattenkirk) or you can leave. We also have Muzzin as a re-signing option, and he's far more likely to take a discount for us.
I doubt either is signed really. 2 young players coming and going to need icetime. I agree though perhaps Muzzin for depth and experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad