Speculation: MacKinnon: “Barrie is getting at least $9M”

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Nathan MacKinnon was recently on the Spittin Chiclets podcast and around the 28 minute mark he mentioned that Tyson Barrie is getting at least $9M on his next contract. Barrie and MacK are really close friends which provides MacK with more inside info on Barrie’s thinking than most. Take from that what you will.

Barstool Sports

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Shocking :sarcasm:

...sound about right for a UFA deal. The dream scenario for us was to lock him up early around 8.75M a year, but that ship sailed when we trade him. But at this point, I can't imagine he won't just wait unless Toronto gives him that UFA money now, before the pricetag goes up again.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s an ongoing joke. Barrie and Biz are great friends and each podcast Biz says Barrie deserves more and more and jokes that he’s his agent.

Barrie very well may earn 9M if he has another great season but Nate’s context in this interview was to run with the ongoing joke of Biz getting Barrie paid.

P.S. Biz says it’s 10M now.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
GMs:
giphy.gif

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
It’s an ongoing joke. Barrie and Biz are great friends and each podcast Biz says Barrie deserves more and more and jokes that he’s his agent.

Barrie very well may earn 9M if he has another great season but Nate’s context in this interview was to run with the ongoing joke of Biz getting Barrie paid.

P.S. Biz says it’s 10M now.

no one is talking about bissonette's opinion on this. People are here because Mackinnon, who is one of Barrie's best friends said it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matthews should do an interview today and tell people Ranta is much better than he is - and he should command at least 13M$.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
no one is talking about bissonette's opinion on this. People are here because Mackinnon, who is one of Barrie's best friends said it.
What’s he supposed to say? Biz says Barrie’s worth 9M. Should Nate respond and say “nah man I think he should only get 6”.

Obviously he’s going to agree with it in the public eye. He’s not going to bash his teammate/best friend. The interview was in June.

Mackinnon never brought it up. He didn’t out of the blue say a dollar figure that Tyson Barrie deserves. Biz said Barrie should get 9M on his next contract and Nate agreed with him.

Christ, people will search for anything in August.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
that's why he gave context of the joke and said mack was going along with the joke so people would understand what he was talking about but apparently that wasn't clear enough.

the context being that no one should take anything said on this podcast seriously anyways, i get that. its mostly jokes. I just thought it was relevant to note that it is in fact about mackinnon and not bisonnette

What’s he supposed to say? Biz says Barrie’s worth 9M. Should Nate respond and say “nah man I think he should only get 6”.

Obviously he’s going to agree with it in the public eye. He’s not going to bash his teammate/best friend. The interview was in June.

Mackinnon never brought it up. He didn’t out of the blue say a dollar figure that Tyson Barrie deserves. Biz said Barrie should get 9M on his next contract and Nate agreed with him.

Christ, people will search for anything in August.

youre acting like is the first time a player has been asked about another players salary.

Russel Westbrook comes to mind. He was asked if James Harden was a "max player." He simply said that James harden is a great player for their team and thats what he's focused about.

but all of this is besides the point. I dont care what mackinnon said and i dont even think he's wrong i just wanted everyone to know that although it may be a running joke with biz, the thread is about mackinnon saying something

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
EvolvingWild was projecting ~7M for Barrie, if he would have been UFA this summer.

Probably realistic to project some high Toronto-scoring for Barrie and then go cashing even higher.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
the context being that no one should take anything said on this podcast seriously anyways, i get that. its mostly jokes. I just thought it was relevant to note that it is in fact about mackinnon and not bisonnette

youre acting like is the first time a player has been asked about another players salary.

Russel Westbrook comes to mind. He was asked if James Harden was a "max player." He simply said that James harden is a great player for their team and thats what he's focused about.

but all of this is besides the point. I dont care what mackinnon said and i dont even think he's wrong i just wanted everyone to know that although it may be a running joke with biz, the thread is about mackinnon saying something
It’s not though. Mackinnon didn’t create the topic. It was a response to Paul’s joke. He didn’t even say a number. He said “he deserves it” in response to Bissonette’s joke.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
if you listen to chiclets regularly you'd know that biz and whittney will always say a guys is worth 10 million/9 million just because they like seeing their friends getting paid. whats Mack suppose to say >? "Yeah anything over 8 million would forsure be a mistake for any team."

Yup. The Barrie thing has been an ongoing thing for a year now. Biz is tight with him as they are fellow Vancouver boys. Biz was even with him when he got traded.

Him and Whitdawwwg in general "stroke off" all the players, but especially the ones they are close with like Hayes, Yandle, Barrie, etc.

They'd been talking about Hayes getting $8 million also all year long.

Reactions: exporta and lauraP

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
if you listen to chiclets regularly you'd know that biz and whittney will always say a guys is worth 10 million/9 million just because they like seeing their friends getting paid. whats Mack suppose to say >? "Yeah anything over 8 million would forsure be a mistake for any team."
Are you Laura love you long time?

Reactions: Tweed and lauraP

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
While we are at it, how about we create a thread for that ridiculous rumor that Biz talked about later that same episode that the Islanders were about to sign Marner to a 5 year/$13 million per offer sheet?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad