Rumor: Mackenzie Weegar available?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'm surprised they turned down Johnsson for Weeger

Dermott isn't a just a throw in so there is that.

I am not sure if the Leaf's-Panthers have the right combination of assets to make a deal. With Johnsson already traded, the Leafs only have Kerfoot at $3.5 million or Holl at $2 million to go the other way in a potential trade. Obviously with additions.

I am not sure if the Leafs can trade Kerfoot without having a 3rd line center to replace him which really just leaves Holl with a +. I cannot imagine that would get Florida excited unless the + was something like Lily which I am not sure the Leafs would be prepared to do right now.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado would be the team to beat. What you offering?
Eliotte Friedman speculated last week that a Jost/Weegar trade was discussed.

On that basis, how about Weegar for Jost ($874k x 1 year) and Cole with $1.25m retained ($1.75m salary and $3m caphit)?

That way you get a young forward and a cheap replacement for Weegar for 1 year (short term deals seem to be important to Floria based on their previous moves).

Feel free to suggest a counter proposal if that's not enough. I suspect that you may want more but based on Friedman's tweet it seems that Jost is rated higher by GM's than by Hfboards.

Reactions: Patagonia

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Eliotte Friedman speculated last week that a Jost/Weegar trade was discussed.

On that basis, how about Weegar for Jost ($874k x 1 year) and Cole with $1.25m retained ($1.75m salary and $3m caphit)?

That way you get a young forward and a cheap replacement for Weegar for 1 year (short term deals seem to be important to Floria based on their previous moves).

Feel free to suggest a counter proposal if that's not enough. I suspect that you may want more but based on Friedman's tweet it seems that Jost is rated higher by GM's than by Hfboards.

jost just took his own qualifying offer.

jost is valued less by himself than hf boards

Reactions: Gurglesons

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
AVs don’t have enough cap space to extend Weegar. FL wants Newhook expect lots of trash without retention to make this work.

+ Newhook
+ Cole
+ Donskoi
+ Compher

Approx $14M can be cleared
I don’t think Newhook was serious: I think Florida wants to maintain long term flexibility as Tallon gave large contracts that limit our flexibility in 2021.

I think the Jost+Cole+draft pick for Weegar could actually work with Cole’s expiring status but I don’t think we’d agree on the draft pick hha

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don’t think Newhook was serious: I think Florida wants to maintain long term flexibility as Tallon gave large contracts that limit our flexibility in 2021.

I think the Jost+Cole+draft pick for Weegar could actually work with Cole’s expiring status but I don’t think we’d agree on the draft pick hha

Agree with your suggestion Jost + Cole + Pick is a framework that would work.

AVs never trade their 1st and 2nds have been moved, so maybe a 3rd?

Reactions: Richard88

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Some COL fans wanted a 1st for Graves and Weegar is very comparable to him.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Agree with your suggestion Jost + Cole + Pick is a framework that would work.

AVs never trade their 1st and 2nds have been moved, so maybe a 3rd?
That’s the problem: I think a 2nd is closest in value. I’d argue Toews is similar to Weegar where Florida doesn’t have the incentive to trade necessarily. Jost is an interesting piece but, given his stagnant development the past years, I don’t view him as a first round value. Ian Cole is mainly a cap dump.

I need to think if there is a decent 2nd round value prospect you have that fits with our timeline; Timmons is frequently mentioned but we have three other D prospects equal to him in value (Stillman, Keeper and Priskie) are similar development stages

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Some COL fans wanted a 1st for Graves and Weegar is very comparable to him.

I don’t know any AVs fans expected a 1st for Graves. Common response is a 2nd + 3rd.

Weegar should return a slightly higher value comparable to Toews 2 + 2nds. Without a cap dump, there is no chance he could be added.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Dubas turned down Weegar for Dermott and Joey Anderson? Interesting.
Handedness, and competition makes it worth while IMO.

If you can trade Dermott + 2nd for Weegar and get him on a 2.25-2.5m x 3 deal, Id do it.

Move Holl +Engvall to Detroit for Vegas 4th in 2022, Biega, Lashoff and Pickard. Three AHLers combining to make 1.95m in cash next year. All can be fully put in the AHL with no cap hits.
Detroit gets a RHD who will be in their top 4, and a cheap W who looks like he will be on their 3rd line. They take on 3.125m in cap.

You end up with 4 solid LD and RD, and plenty of room to sign Mikheyev.
Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Weegar
Lehtonen - Bogosian
Sandin - Liljgren

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t know any AVs fans expected a 1st for Graves. Common response is a 2nd + 3rd.

Weegar should return a slightly higher value comparable to Toews 2 + 2nds. Without a cap dump, there is no chance he could be added.

I swear to have seen some COL fans ask for a 1st but probably the minority.
Ya I wouldn't be happy with trading Weegar and think both sides are just playing hardball.
If it's somewhat similar to Toews value then that's fine, we can always look to cap strapped teams and trade for another top 4 D this year/next off-season for a 2nd+prospect.

Handedness, and competition makes it worth while IMO.

If you can trade Dermott + 2nd for Weegar and get him on a 2.25-2.5m x 3 deal, Id do it.

Move Holl +Engvall to Detroit for Vegas 4th in 2022, Biega, Lashoff and Pickard. Three AHLers combining to make 1.95m in cash next year. All can be fully put in the AHL with no cap hits.
Detroit gets a RHD who will be in their top 4, and a cheap W who looks like he will be on their 3rd line. They take on 3.125m in cap.

You end up with 4 solid LD and RD, and plenty of room to sign Mikheyev.
Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Weegar
Lehtonen - Bogosian
Sandin - Liljgren

Weegar isn't gonna sign a 3 year deal at $2.5 million, otherwise he would have been re-signed in FLA already.
You're looking at something comparable to Grz in BOS if around 3-4 years.

1 year x $3 million
2 years x $3.25 million
3 years x $3.45 million
4 years x $3.65 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad