Rumor: Mackenzie Weegar available?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Considering they promptly dumped Johnsson, either this is bogus or they value Dermott a LOT higher than I thought they did.

well according to CJ the leafs love Anderson. They think he is a player. They had multiple options and chose that one.

right or wrong. We will see

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Have not gone thru the thread, what exactly are FLA needs? Wouldn't make sense to trade a D man for another Dman like Dermott or Holl, especially when Weegar would be better then both.

Draft picks or a top 9 F?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Breaking news - Toronto linked to EVERY player that is arbitration eligible, not getting a QO, RFA/UFA status and unhappy on their current team.

aaaaaaaaaand today is different than every other day how ?

nicely posted Beastie

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Weegar is pretty solid and I imagine he's only available due to a Panthers internal budget.

He's a no frills 2nd pairing guy with room to grow, helped Ekblad's game by being steady and giving him a secondary outlet to move the puck without being a D liability like Yandle.

I'd be all over this guy. You rarely have a righty available who can play left.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Friedman says panthers wanted johnsson and dermott for weegar. Leafs turned it down

Via 31 thoughts podcast

Here's the quote:

Considering they promptly dumped Johnsson, either this is bogus or they value Dermott a LOT higher than I thought they did.

Dubas values Dermott very highly. This is a rough quote of what he said about Dermott the other day during UFA presser:

At this time we project to see Travis Dermott playing on his off-side (RD). He's done that going back to Erie, he's done it with the Marlies, he's done it with the Maple Leafs. He seems to be very comfortable there and we would like to see grow there and continue to challenge up the depth chart with the intention being that in 4 years from now after TJ Brodie's deal has come and gone successfully that Travis has sort of ascended up our depth chart. We want him to challenge for those minutes and push the guys above him.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I know. I've looked at his WOWYs. Even matching him with Barkov and Huberdeau. His results make him look really good. My question is Why?
He’s a competent two way defenseman who is willing to take the body and has a deceptively good shot. like I’ve never seen Weegar make a major mistake and he tends to think the game well

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Are you trying to gatekeep me based on how many posts I’ve made on this board? Super sus.
It was literally the first time that package came up ...in this thread.

But you are bringing it back to packages that were created well before 2019...you know when Ryder and Halak were on the habs.

Last edited:

cakeschmammert

Jun 28, 2019
St. Louis, MO
It was literally the first time that package came up ...in this thread.

But you are trying it back to packages that were created well before 2019...you know when Ryder and Halal were on the habs.

I see it all over capfriendly ACGM and elsewhere. Every proposal starts with Kerfoot and Dermott. That’s what the Ryder reference was, yes.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Feels like the noise around this player has died down. Maybe Florida has made it clear they are going to go to arb with him and go on from there.

1-2 amazing
2-3.5 good, but getting close to the danger zone
3.5-4.5 eeesh a little overpaid
4.5+ anchor contract

fair assessment of his next deal?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Feels like the noise around this player has died down. Maybe Florida has made it clear they are going to go to arb with him and go on from there.

1-2 amazing
2-3.5 good, but getting close to the danger zone
3.5-4.5 eeesh a little overpaid
4.5+ anchor contract

fair assessment of his next deal?
Depends on injury history.

for a one year I hope it is less than 3.3. For medium term 4s seem reasonable if it wasn’t for injuries: his even strength numbers are great and he pairs well with Ekblad.

As a Florida fan, I don’t have a good sense of the trade rumors: Friedman speculated a return but it was speculation; the most reasonable story I see is that we tried to move a D to get Schmidt and Weegar was the only possible option

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Have not gone thru the thread, what exactly are FLA needs? Wouldn't make sense to trade a D man for another Dman like Dermott or Holl, especially when Weegar would be better then both.

Draft picks or a top 9 F?

Dermott might be of interest to them if they want to add a LHD. A forward would also make sense.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Yes, Dubas does like Dermott quite a bit. He's approx the same size as Weegar, (same height, weighs more) same number of hits last year... doesn't fight as much though, and saw his game grow quite a bit near the end of the year, when given greater responsibilities.

Dermott is 23 right now, and has 157 NHL games under his belt. At 26, Weegar has 172 games.

Dermott will be cheaper, offense isn't too different so far.... Is Weegar better today? Yes, absolutely, but he's three years older, and more developed, and it takes D time to develop.

While Dermott has 157 NHL games, Weegar at the same stage had 3 NHL games. At the same age, Dermott is well ahead of where Weegar was. (Note for those counting years after Draft, Weegar didn't get drafted in his first year available)

Now please don't take that to mean that I am making a case that Dermott is better, as that's not my intent. Most should know, you don't give up on young D men, showing progress, and that progress isn't going to be linear.

This isn't to belittle Weegar at all, he's a very good D man, and I'd love him on the Leafs. His story of getting to where he is now, is absolutely a fantastic one. This is just an explanation, as to why Dubas likes Dermott, and might be proven right in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Weegar is pretty solid and I imagine he's only available due to a Panthers internal budget.

He's a no frills 2nd pairing guy with room to grow, helped Ekblad's game by being steady and giving him a secondary outlet to move the puck without being a D liability like Yandle.

I'd be all over this guy. You rarely have a righty available who can play left.
Internal budget lmao. We don’t have one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad