Rumor: Mackenzie Weegar available?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I swear to have seen some COL fans ask for a 1st but probably the minority.
Ya I wouldn't be happy with trading Weegar and think both sides are just playing hardball.
If it's somewhat similar to Toews value then that's fine, we can always look to cap strapped teams and trade for another top 4 D this year/next off-season for a 2nd+prospect.

Weegar isn't gonna sign a 3 year deal at $2.5 million, otherwise he would have been re-signed in FLA already.
You're looking at something comparable to Grz in BOS if around 3-4 years.

1 year x $3 million
2 years x $3.25 million
3 years x $3.45 million
4 years x $3.65 million

About right. I’m looking at the Graves being the comparable deal of approx $3.2M @ 3 years.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Dubas turned down Weegar for Dermott and Joey Anderson? Interesting.
They did need all of Johnsson's cap hit to disappear to fit in Brodie who they just signed on day #1. If they pulled the trigger on that move, they would have had to have found a taker for Kerfoot. In the current climate the current interest in him may not have been high enough to free up the entire cap hit and deliver positive value. If it weren't for cap restraints they may have moved on that trade.

I imagine they moved Johnsson to shed that cap and are countering Florida now with Kerfoot + Holl. But, may be willing to do Kerfoot and Dermott if it seals the trade. I would think if Florida liked Kerfoot enough to make that trade it would have already happened. They may circle back to it, but he might not move the needle for them.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Ya I wouldn't be happy with trading Weegar and think both sides are just playing hardball.
If it's somewhat similar to Toews value then that's fine, we can always look to cap strapped teams and trade for another top 4 D this year/next off-season for a 2nd+prospect.

Weegar isn't gonna sign a 3 year deal at $2.5 million, otherwise he would have been re-signed in FLA already.

1 year x $3 million
2 years x $3.25 million
3 years x $3.45 million
4 years x $3.65 million

If he had been offered 3.25x2 I think this would be over by now, and he would be signed.
His team is leaking they are diapointed, meaning they are probably being given a very low 1 or 2 year offer.
My assumptiion is he is traded and signs for marginally above what Flordia is trying to get him at a 'bargain' price

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That’s the problem: I think a 2nd is closest in value. I’d argue Toews is similar to Weegar where Florida doesn’t have the incentive to trade necessarily. Jost is an interesting piece but, given his stagnant development the past years, I don’t view him as a first round value. Ian Cole is mainly a cap dump.

I need to think if there is a decent 2nd round value prospect you have that fits with our timeline; Timmons is frequently mentioned but we have three other D prospects equal to him in value (Stillman, Keeper and Priskie) are similar development stages
Maybe a prospect would work instead of a 2nd?

For example, if we're acquiring Weegar (a RHD) then perhaps Helleson (drafted 47th overall in 2019) would be expendable and carries value equivalent to a 2nd (at least as far as his draft position is concerned).

Alternatively Ranta and Beaucage were both drafted 78th overall and have had good seasons since the draft.

1 year x $3 million
2 years x $3.25 million
3 years x $3.45 million
4 years x $3.65 million
I was one of the Avs fans who claimed that Graves' value was a 1st... a late 1st around 25th overall to be exact. That was before the flat cap really kicked in though, and also before he had a poor showing in the Dallas series. His value now is probably around 2 2nd's or 2nd + 3rd, but I don't think Sakic would trade him for that as we're not under any pressure to move him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That’s the problem: I think a 2nd is closest in value. I’d argue Toews is similar to Weegar where Florida doesn’t have the incentive to trade necessarily. Jost is an interesting piece but, given his stagnant development the past years, I don’t view him as a first round value. Ian Cole is mainly a cap dump.

I need to think if there is a decent 2nd round value prospect you have that fits with our timeline; Timmons is frequently mentioned but we have three other D prospects equal to him in value (Stillman, Keeper and Priskie) are similar development stages

FL seems deeper with RHD and Forward prospects. Timmins is an excellent prospect, but risky. Health concerns is the reason for the AVs interest in Weegar. He likely would be your top DMan prospect if healthy. AVs wouldn't consider his availability if they don't have concerns and would be exempt from the XDraft.

AVs are unlikely to offer much more due to the Expansion Draft could result in being exposed.

Reactions: violaswallet

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If you get Butcher for pennies on the dollar he is a decently valuable asset in a flat cap world, especially if his offense bounces back. Florida will likely pass or ask for a better prospect, as I mentioned in this thread.
They tried to make a more complete D man in Will and its not working. Zone starts are far closer to 50/50 last two years and he game shows it. His good year they were like 65/35. At a min. make him valuable and put him back where he can succeed and bring more back!

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he had been offered 3.25x2 I think this would be over by now, and he would be signed.
His team is leaking they are diapointed, meaning they are probably being given a very low 1 or 2 year offer.
My assumptiion is he is traded and signs for marginally above what Flordia is trying to get him at a 'bargain' price

Well FLA likely hasn't offered him $3.25 million per.

Weegar is probably asking for something around $4.25 million and FLA is offering $2.75 million.
That's a difference of $1.5 million so they will meet somewhere in the middle no?
He wouldn't be the first player to have his agent say they're disappointed with the teams offer, it's negotiating tactics.
Most arbitration cases don't get to their hearings, they are settled days before.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Maybe a prospect would work instead of a 2nd?

For example, if we're acquiring Weegar (a RHD) then perhaps Helleson (drafted 47th overall in 2019) would be expendable and carries value equivalent to a 2nd (at least as far as his draft position is concerned).

Alternatively Ranta and Beaucage were both drafted 78th overall and have had good seasons since the draft.

I was one of the Avs fans who claimed that Graves' value was a 1st... a late 1st around 25th overall to be exact. That was before the flat cap really kicked in though, and also before he had a poor showing in the Dallas series. His value now is probably around 2 2nd's or 2nd + 3rd, but I don't think Sakic would trade him for that as we're not under any pressure to move him.
The offer as a drafted 2nd could work: id let Zito pick the prospect; I don’t follow enough ;)

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->