Affiliates IX: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Tickets purchased for Friday's Game 4. My buddy and I have talked about going to a game in Cleveland for years and are finally doing it (as if it's some major undertaking). Anyway, looking forward to it!

Staying at the Westin. Assuming everything's walkable. Suggestions for food? I see Masthead is close by but I'm maybe more inclined to Noble Beast? Any/all suggestions welcome.
Glad you are making the trip. Don't really eat downtown too much, last time was awhile ago (February 2023?) when we went to playhouse square for a show. Ate at a place called Republic. It was good, but probably not close enough.

Quick look at google maps and Il Venetian looks good, but pricey. A few blocks away from the Westin. There was an Urban Farmer attached to the Westin I believe, but I see it is permanently closed.

Sometimes before an Indians game we would stop at Hairy Buffalo, but places lkke that are everywhere.

Anyway, hope its a good trip and you see a series clinching game. Don't want to have to play Sunday, as I can't make that game.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Glad you are making the trip. Don't really eat downtown too much, last time was awhile ago (February 2023?) when we went to playhouse square for a show. Ate at a place called Republic. It was good, but probably not close enough.

Quick look at google maps and Il Venetian looks good, but pricey. A few blocks away from the Westin. There was an Urban Farmer attached to the Westin I believe, but I see it is permanently closed.

Sometimes before an Indians game we would stop at Hairy Buffalo, but places lkke that are everywhere.

Anyway, hope its a good trip and you see a series clinching game. Don't want to have to play Sunday, as I can't make that game.
Thanks for the ideas.

I was going to mention the potential series-clinching thing but as it stands right now, before tonight's game, we may not want it to be series-clinching.

Reactions: Monstershockey

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I had a great time when we went up for a game during the Cup winning season, the arena experience isn't "minor league" at all and put Nationwide to shame IMO (I understand the primary teneat are the Cavs)
I haven't been since before the pandemic, but I enjoyed it a lot. Only real downsides were that I didn't really love that there were cheerleaders because that just feels very silly for hockey, and the Q's sightlines are just slightly off for hockey since the building was built primarily for basketball.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I haven't been since before the pandemic, but I enjoyed it a lot. Only real downsides were that I didn't really love that there were cheerleaders because that just feels very silly for hockey, and the Q's sightlines are just slightly off for hockey since the building was built primarily for basketball.
The cheerleaders have been gone since covid. They brought the mullet brothers back a little this year, as they were popular. Also, now when they slingshot people across the ice, they actually make it to the pins to knock them over. the people that took that over never could get any speed for the people to make it across the ice.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
2-1 Monsters after 1. Game has settled down after a fast start. Pyyhtia and Jiricek with the goals. TFW is knocking some guys around, hit a guy early that had a little trouble getting back up, still woozy after he finally did.

Reactions: CBJx614

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tony Brown does a credible job as the PBP guy. He’d probably be even better if paired with a different color analyst. That guy does nothing for me.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Here we go, overtime again. We looked better in the 3rd than 2nd. Hope we can pull it off. TFW is due.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Taking in the whole game last night I felt Cleveland is way better coached in their forcheck, and system of constantly being in the right place to keep puck possession when the other team was trying to get the puck out of our zone than Columbus is … Also , their puck movement , especially on the powerplay , was much better as well . From listening to Bobby Mac .. many in our org feel they have a YOUNG Jared Bednar behind the bench in Cleveland right now …

Last edited:

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Taking in the whole game last night I felt Cleveland is way better coached in their forcheck, and system of constantly being in the right place to keep puck possession when the other team was trying to get the puck out of our zone than Columbus is … Also , their puck movement , especially on the powerplay , was much better as well . From listening to Bobby Mac .. many in our org feel they have a YOUNG Jared Bednar behind the bench in Cleveland right now …
Not saying it the right or wrong choice to promote Vogelhuber, but if Vincent is let go and they hire someone else who fails while Vogelhuber gets hired away and is even half successful as a Bednar, I may just give in to the whole cursed franchise talk.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
We are literally right now better than the Avalanche team Bednar joined.
Ok? The comment was about Bednar's success which was ultimately a Cup. Which he did with MacKinnon, Rantanan, Landeskog, Makar, Toews,etc. So yeah, a team half as good as that

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Ok? The comment was about Bednar's success which was ultimately a Cup. Which he did with MacKinnon, Rantanan, Landeskog, Makar, Toews,etc. So yeah, a team half as good as that
And he was hired and the Avalanche then set a modern record for futility in his first season. If you don't remember, do a search on this very website to see how many people were questioning Sakic's sanity and job, let alone Bednar's (I wasn't on hf, but I was on reddit and twitter and I remember it very clearly). This was also prime Duchene trade request fiasco time for them, where he was literally changing in a separate room from the rest of the team because the relationship was that fractured. It was VERY dark days for the Avs then.

The point is the Avalanche, likely Cup winners this season, hired him when they did not in fact have a team for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad