Mackenzie Blackwood - Will he end up a top-10 goaltender (not all-time)?

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
the younger goalie plays on a better team and yet can’t put up better numbers than the guy he’s supposedly better than.
But he has won playoff games, can Blackwood? If your going to use that argument then every single goalie could be scrutinized for that. Would Rask be Rask on the devils? He’d be good but elite as he is now? You can only go off of performance in a way, I’ll take that tiny margin Blackwood has over Hart for regular season games knowing he can absolutely set up for the playoffs and is younger.

Last edited:

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Cool. So then you agree that Filip Chytil (younger and by a wider margin than Blackwood/Hart) is a better player with a better future than Oskar Lindblom too right?
I mean the dude has already put up over a PPG over 150 games, he’s absolutely better at this point.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I don't have a problem with Hart over Blackwood.

I think the issue arises when you have a huge gap between the two. They're certainly closer to eachother than further apart like many of the lists from other HF threads suggest. That doesn't even imply they're in the same tier.. but I find it hard to understand the argument that Hart is a top 5 goalie while Blackwood isn't even in the top 10-15.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Only on HF can someone call 50 points in 146 games a point per game player.
Yeah I know I realized I was wrong to late haha, outside of that I honestly can't speak on if he will be better or not I honestly dont watch him enough. I think Lindblom is good but idk that his ceiling is necessarily that high.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
But he has won playoff games, can Blackwood? If your going to use that argument then every single goalie could be scrutinized for that. Would Rask be Rask on the devils? He’d be good but elite as he is now? You can only go off of performance in a way, I’ll take that tiny margin Blackwood has over Hart for regular season games knowing he can absolutely set up for the playoffs and is younger.
I feel like this a misdirected debate from both sides and that Devils and Flyers fans should find common ground in pointing out how inferior other teams’ goalies are. I mean, have you seen Jarry?

Maybe I’m just a dreamer.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He has the potential to be. It depends on how NJ coaches him. He makes some structural mistakes at times that is typical of young goalies. If he can be the John Gibson type that goes out and loses constantly but posts really good numbers doing So....then he could be great. NJ isn't a juggernaut right now and it has the potential to really hurt a goalies mind if the right goalie coach and system aren't there to support him

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016

I think the issue arises when you have a huge gap between the two. They're certainly closer to eachother than further apart like many of the lists from other HF threads suggest. That doesn't even imply they're in the same tier.. but I find it hard to understand the argument that Hart is a top 5 goalie while Blackwood isn't even in the top 10-15.
This i agree with....am I being biased as a flyer fan yes but I truly don't think the taste of playoff success that Hart has had should automatically rank him a little higher. Im not even saying the guy isn't or won't be great im just saying I am more impressed with Hart especially after stealing at least 2 games from the Isles

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I feel like this a misdirected debate from both sides and that Devils and Flyers fans should find common ground in pointing out how inferior other teams’ goalies are. I mean, have you seen Jarry?

Maybe I’m just a dreamer.
As far as goalies go its been very hard as a flyers fan haha. I've been watching them consistently for probably 20 years now and not once did we have that guy that you knew was it and knew would play well most of his starts. Its a defensive thing for me I know haha, I can debate forward and D more fairly for sure

varano

Jun 27, 2013

People seem to forget that the difference statistically between good goalies and great goalies is about one goal against per three games.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Since the beginning of last season, 24 goaltenders have appeared in at least 40 games. Blackwood sits 2/24 in 5v5 save percentage – behind only Tuukka Rask – and 1/24 in high-danger save percentage. - Todd Cordell

Food for thought.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
He’s an absolute monster, and his contract is hilarious for how good he’s becoming.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly all this Hart mania is going to hit Philly right in the pocket book next off-season. Let’s see if Hart’s bridge deal is as team friendly as the 3 years/2.8m Blackwood got this off-season.

Reactions: HBK27 and Colin226

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Top 10 for a single season or even a few seasons? Sure. Consistently top 10? I wouldn't bet on it.
He’s already there, especially if you put carter hart there. He was amazing last year post hynes. So far this year I don’t even know how to describe him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad