Mackenzie Blackwood - Will he end up a top-10 goaltender (not all-time)?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Reactions: Auto Pilot

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Get back to me when Blackwood proves himself to be a winner.

Well, he does have a winning record of 35-24-9 on an awful team, so there's that.

Blackwood also has a career 2.67 GAA and .918 SV%, which are both better than Carter Hart's numbers despite playing on a much better team.

Meanwhile, the rest of the goalies that played for NJ since Blackwood's 2017-2018 rookie season have put up a 29-49-15 record with a 3.33 GAA and 0.893 SV%.

Are you really trying to ding him for not leading a franchise in the complete midst of a rebuild to the playoffs in his 1 1/2 seasons of play?

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Will I win the lottery in the future? Will Blackwood become a top 10 goalie? Could be. Could not be.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Not necessarily, depends on what kind of lottery you are trying to win I guess.

Ok then. Let's say I play a lottery that is about ten times harder to win than the average lottery around the globe. We're still no where closer to find out if some f***er named Blackwood is going to be a top 10 goalie or not.

Lifes mysteries right?

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Carter Hart is why we are 8-2-3. Carter Hart has kept us in, games we didn't deserve to win. The playoffs are fair game NJD made the 2018 playoffs like us so, You can't make excuses for Blackwood.

You understand that Blackwood wasn't even on the roster at that time, yes?

Like are you even trying here, come on man.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Ok then. Let's say I play a lottery that is about ten times harder to win than the average lottery around the globe. We're still no where closer to find out if some f***er named Blackwood is going to be a top 10 goalie or not.

Lifes mysteries right?

Nobody can predict the future or we wouldn't have a worldwide pandemic right now. A lot of threads in HF Boards are about predicting the likelihood of certain players career developement. While I would argue that luck is an underrated factor in career progression, it is certainly possible to make an educated guess on how the career of a player of Blackwoods age and accomplishments will turn out. Your line of argument basically implies that its no easier to predict if Blackwood becomes a top 10 NHL goaltender or if a f***er named Nail Yakupov comes back to the NHL and goes on to win a few cups and the Frank J. Selke Throphy, because life is full of mysteries right?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
sorry for bumping an august reply. I’ll say I feel the same way about this today as I did in august.

Kuemper, Andersen, Binnington, Hart are definitely not locked to top 10.

I have my doubts on Bishop but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. His teams greatest success has been without him. Both in Tampa and Dallas actually. He played behind some solid teams.

A huge part of being a great goalie is a great system. The other goalies you mentioned are indeed elite athletes near the top every year. Not just a few seasons here and there. Hart and Blackwood may join this one day.

Nailed it, the difference between good and great goaltenders is consistency over many seasons.

Reactions: Leafs87 and Tripod

TonyDeAngelo

Aug 31, 2019
South Jersey
Uh is this still about Blackwood? He hadn't made the NHL the last time we made the playoffs.
I could ask your side, the same thing your side said, Mackenzie is better than Carter Hart, Who is a box-office player, his jersey sells out his ceiling is Martin Brodeur, and Hart has more hardware than Mackenzie.

Carter Hart Had A Phenomenal Season For The Flyers, It Was So Good It Was Comparable To A Goaltending Legend In Martin Brodeur In His First Full Season In The NHL

/www.seattletimes.com/sports/everetts-carter-hart-might-be-the-best-goaltender-in-western-hockey-league-history/#:~:text=EVERETT%20%E2%80%94%20Carter%20Hart%2C%20who%20many%20believe%20is,playoff%20run%20to%20serve%2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad