Mackenzie Blackwood - Will he end up a top-10 goaltender (not all-time)?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Hellebuyck
Rask
Vasilevskiy
Price
Gibson
Kuemper
Hart
Bishop
Andersen
Binnington

are all locked in as the top 10 goalies right now. Markstrom, Lehner and a few others are right on the outside looking in.

Blackwood is not a top 10 goalie entering next season, who the hell knows what the future may bring and it is a pointless exercise to try and project which goalies will come and go.

sorry for bumping an august reply. I’ll say I feel the same way about this today as I did in august.

Kuemper, Andersen, Binnington, Hart are definitely not locked to top 10.

I have my doubts on Bishop but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. His teams greatest success has been without him. Both in Tampa and Dallas actually. He played behind some solid teams.

A huge part of being a great goalie is a great system. The other goalies you mentioned are indeed elite athletes near the top every year. Not just a few seasons here and there. Hart and Blackwood may join this one day.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just watching him play he has all the tools you look for in an ideal #1 starter.

Good positioning, reads the plays well, size, quick reactions etc.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Definitely looks like he has great potential to be a top 10 goaltender in the league for 5+ years. Probably one of the favorite in the league to do so. Will that actually happen? Who knows. Goalies are so unpredictable right now. I'd probably say there are only a few goalies in the league I'd bet on still being starters in 3 years.

Hellebuyck and Vasilevskiy might be the only locks. Then you have Gibson, Samsonov, and Markstrom. I'd put Blackwood in with the next group that includes guys like Hart, Merzlikiens, Korpisalo, Georgiev, Binnington etc... guys that clearly have the talent, but just haven't played enough games to establish themselves as long term #1 guys. These third tier is all great, but has more uncertainty.

Not sure about the vets, in Rask and Price. They'll be 36 in 3 years.
georgiev? is georgiev the starter of the rangers?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
But he has won playoff games, can Blackwood? If your going to use that argument then every single goalie could be scrutinized for that. Would Rask be Rask on the devils? He’d be good but elite as he is now? You can only go off of performance in a way, I’ll take that tiny margin Blackwood has over Hart for regular season games knowing he can absolutely set up for the playoffs and is younger.
well blackwood for his career didn't lose a single nhl po game - yet. :nod:

sounds pretty elite.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
georgiev? is georgiev the starter of the rangers?

Georgiev has played 2 of 3 games for the Rangers. He has 79 NHL games with a .913 average, much of which was on a rebuilding team. Might not get there, but he's on his way.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Good for Mackenzie. He should start getting the recognition he deserves

best young goaltender in a stacked Metro. His stats are ever so slightly better than Hart's while having been on a worse team (closer this year but still worse)

Reactions: Devils Army

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
First game in almost a month (and having had covid and breathing issues) and Mackenzie stops 37 of 39 for a Devils victory 5-2 over NYR

I was at first not pleased to hear he was starting as I was concerned about his breathing. However he showed me he really wants to be out there

currently at a 1.92 and .948 in four games (2vsBOS, 2vsNYR)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
We're still dealing with a small sample size, but I think it has to be stated that what Blackwood has done in the NHL so far is absolutely extraordinary. The .915 he put up last season was backstopping one of the worst NHL defenses I've ever seen and playing several games with a concussion that hurt his stats. He give the team tremendous confidence when he's out there. Devils are 3-0-1 with him, 2-3-1 without him. I mean...

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019

Lol Hart is not better than Blackwood. Bringing up winning a playoff series is not a good argument since Blackwoods team wasn’t there because the devils couldn’t win jack when he wasn’t playing, so their record suffered greatly when he wasn’t between the pipes for them.

you compare their actual stats from the regular season and take into account that hart has a better team in front of him, they post similar stats, with Blackwood having the slightly better save percentage. And when you look at advanced stats for goaltending, Blackwood is in the top in quite a lot of them, a lot of the time from 1-3 or at worst in the top 10.

TonyDeAngelo

Aug 31, 2019
South Jersey
Lol Hart is not better than Blackwood. Bringing up winning a playoff series is not a good argument since Blackwoods team wasn’t there because the devils couldn’t win jack when he wasn’t playing, so their record suffered greatly when he wasn’t between the pipes for them.

you compare their actual stats from the regular season and take into account that hart has a better team in front of him, they post similar stats, with Blackwood having the slightly better save percentage. And when you look at advanced stats for goaltending, Blackwood is in the top in quite a lot of them, a lot of the time from 1-3 or at worst in the top 10.

Carter Hart is why we are 8-2-3. Carter Hart has kept us in, games we didn't deserve to win. The playoffs are fair game NJD made the 2018 playoffs like us so, You can't make excuses for Blackwood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->