Mackenzie Blackwood - Will he end up a top-10 goaltender (not all-time)?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It'd have been easier for us if we rebuilt twice since our last cup win like the Rags have :sarcasm:

In all seriousness the Devils being bad longer is no shocker considering they were a continual contender from 95-2005 and then still a playoff team until 2012 - meanwhile the Rangers have just been shuffling chairs on the Titanic for two decades

Huh? The Rangers have missed the playoffs 3 times since the lockout, and one of those times was on a shootout on the last game of the regular season, and the other two were by design.

Reactions: bl02

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
EVwDw2NWkAE_MBH

How exactly? This is a dumb thread, trying to project a goalies future outlook when the position is the most volatile and unpredictable in all of sports is a pointless discussion.

I think the true motive of this thread was to try and keep the Devils in the public eye. Like the Islanders are on a strong playoff run, the Rangers had an impressive season and just added a 1st overall pick, it's like "hey dont forget about us!". C'mon.

And yeah, you cant not expect to get clowned on when you have a "Subban, Hughes and Hall=Devils a contender" thread, considering how badly that all played out for the Devils this season.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
How exactly? This is a dumb thread, trying to project a goalies future outlook when the position is the most volatile and unpredictable in all of sports is a pointless discussion.

I think the true motive of this thread was to try and keep the Devils in the public eye. Like the Islanders are on a strong playoff run, the Rangers had an impressive season and just added a 1st overall pick, it's like "hey dont forget about us!". C'mon.

And yeah, you cant not expect to get clowned on when you have a "Subban, Hughes and Hall=Devils a contender" thread, considering how badly that all played out for the Devils this season.
Lmao youre on a roll today

You probably shouldnt put this much thought into why a threads made - was drinking with some Rangers friends of mine and made it mid conversation about Blackwood Shestyorkin Hart

Shouldnt you be happier than this considering you just won Lafreniere this week?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Weird considering nyr have already anointed Shesterkin the new “king” or “Czar” as I’ve heard numerous times. Did you guys not learn a lesson the first time around?.... if you call your goalie a king before he has a cup, you’re gonna have a bad time

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Who knows? Goalies are voodoo. A guy can win the Vezina one year and be washed up the next. Some guys walk into the league as starters others, including high picks like Blackwood and Campbell, can take ages to arrive.

All I can say is the Devils have reason to be optimistic.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Weird considering nyr have already anointed Shesterkin the new “king” or “Czar” as I’ve heard numerous times. Did you guys not learn a lesson the first time around?.... if you call your goalie a king before he has a cup, you’re gonna have a bad time

Yep and everytime Shesterkin is brought up we get mounds of shit for it

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Hellebuyck
Rask
Vasilevskiy
Price
Gibson
Kuemper
Hart
Bishop
Andersen
Binnington

are all locked in as the top 10 goalies right now. Markstrom, Lehner and a few others are right on the outside looking in.

Blackwood is not a top 10 goalie entering next season, who the hell knows what the future may bring and it is a pointless exercise to try and project which goalies will come and go.
It easy to rank Blackwood. Find Carter Hart spot on the list and rank Blackwood one slot ahead.

Those two goalies have virtually identical NHL stats in terms of games played, GAA and save percentage. Hart has a better GAA but he also plays on a much better NHL team. Blackwood has a better save percentage than Hart and given the poor team ahead of him, thus deserves to be ranked ahead of Hart.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It easy to rank Blackwood. Find Carter Hart spot on the list and rank Blackwood one slot ahead.

Those two goalies have virtually identical NHL stats in terms of games played, GAA and save percentage. Hart has a better GAA but he also plays on a much better NHL team. Blackwood has a better save percentage than Hart and given the poor team ahead of him, thus deserves to be ranked ahead of Hart.

Absolutely not. And I was iffy on ranking Hart that high and would have no problem replacing him in my top 10 with Markstrom and Lehner.

Of the young Metro goalies I'd have BW behind all of Samsonov, Hart, Merzlikins, Korpisalo, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Jarry and Varlamov. Which is no slight against him, that is pretty much a whose who of the best young goalies in the world.

And I like Blackwood a lot and thought he was one of the best goalies in the league down the stretch.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Absolutely not. And I was iffy on ranking Hart that high and would have no problem replacing him in my top 10 with Markstrom and Lehner.

Of the young Metro goalies I'd have BW behind all of Samsonov, Hart, Merzlikins, Korpisalo, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Jarry and Varlamov. Which is no slight against him, that is pretty much a whose who of the best young goalies in the world.

And I like Blackwood a lot and thought he was one of the best goalies in the league down the stretch.
What the hell has Sorokin done? Varlamov is 32, and theres no way Merzlikins has shown more. Samsonov has worse stats on a contender, Jarry has one good season and hes all of a sudden God in Pittsburgh, and Hart is right around what Blackwood is just a year younger with a much better defense

Theres absolutely zero reason Blackwood shouldnt be considered as good or better than all those names

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If your position is that Carter Hart will end up being a better goalie than Mackenzie Blackwood because of age, potential, whatever, that's a totally fine opinion.

But to claim that Hart is better than Blackwood, right now, today, is just factually incorrect. Not a matter of opinion, it's just objectively and empirically false.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If your position is that Carter Hart will end up being a better goalie than Mackenzie Blackwood because of age, potential, whatever, that's a totally fine opinion.

But to claim that Hart is better than Blackwood, right now, today, is just factually incorrect. Not a matter of opinion, it's just objectively and empirically false.

I don't get it either. Hart gets this mythical status in NHL goalie rankings that he hasn't even earned yet. It's because he's likely going to be the next elite Canadian goalie, and they had a full generation where they didn't produce one, but he's not actually that good right now. He's a middle of the league goalie.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

Yikes... it’s pretty clear your hatred for MB just because he plays for the Devils. He is easily just as good/better than all of those names. Sorokin hasn’t even played a NHL game yet :laugh:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yikes... it’s pretty clear your hatred for MB just because he plays for the Devils. He is easily just as good/better than all of those names. Sorokin hasn’t even played a NHL game yet :laugh:

Both Sorokin's and Shesterkin's body of work in the KHL is valid here. I'd take all of those goalies moving forward over Blackwood, and Varlamov at least for the next year or so.

I don't understand why playing on better teams is a negative for Jarry, Hart and Samsonov.

And I can just easily turn around and say "it's pretty clear your just biased towards Blackwood because he plays for the Devils. He is not easily just as good/better than all of those names".

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
He'll be a top ten goalie season to season for sure. He won't be elite but he'll be a good to very good starter.
Seems like he may already be there. Which is huge for NJ; if they didn't have a young goaltender they easily be there with Detroit and Chicago for league worst teams

Reactions: hidek91

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

So you’d rather have Blackwood over Hart this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad