Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The quick throw the puck around the boards pass comes from players lacking confidence and trying to avoid being hit.

Let’s say he does stop and turn the other way he could easily take a devastating hit or throw a game changing pizza then be sitting for Djoos next game

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They're also often trying to stretch the neutral zone out with stretch passes rather than more patiently support one another with crisp short passes and playing as five man units. It's a sloppy game plan that in no way can be blamed on Kempny's injury. Kempny just made it easier on a talent level to reach a certain level but they're fundamentally not doing many things they drove their success last season, esp. on the road. They may not be terribly far from being gassed, with the notable exception of Ovechkin and maybe Orlov. Home ice may pump them up to prevail in Game 7 but thereafter who knows how much they really have left. The Islanders fourth line and overall diligence to make it a hard game will be a challenge, particularly if they're not able to be the sort of cleaner skilled exit and entry team that they want to be.

I'd be interested in seeing the player tracking data on this once/if it becomes available in the upcoming seasons because I agree with this completely. I feel like the forwards rarely help the defensemen with breakouts compared to other teams and I'd like to see if the data backs this assertion.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This team has been flipping the playoff cough desperation stretch pass breakout / tip play at the center red to avoid icing, for close to a decade. Actually, I think I have seen it a little less so this year. Erskine and friends used to just take slap shots at a cap at center.

Probably because we are being hemmed in effectively, heh.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Vrana and Hagelin are just killing any offense on that 2nd line... Maybe we should give Kuznetsov Connolly and Burakovsky.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I keep seeing mentioned how the caps have more skill......

From the games I’ve watched the canes got skills too.

For example, making their PK look like a 5x5 is mad skillz. They got skillz all over the ice, and those skillz are currently matching- or exceeding- the Caps skillz.

I also agree with what some have been mentioning r.e. Wilson. Outside of here and there moments, he’s not the same Wilson that ran roughshod and impactful last POs. I shouldn’t be surprised tho, the league finally got to him.

DSP was, sadly, invisible last night. If ever a game where DSP needed to be DSP, it was last night. Hopefully he brings his game 5 to game 7, cause it sure as shit wasn’t there in 6.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Too late. There is going to be a lot of nervous sweat tomorrow.

tumblr_or5kghGmkG1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Stock up on your favorite adult beverage and listen to that Modest mouse song and you’ll be good.

If in Canada grab an edible or roll up a phatty

Reactions: RandyHolt

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm looking forward to it. Lots of players are due, and hopefully angry/frustrated with themselves. That wouldn't have helped in the past, but the Cup seems to have changed a lot of attitudes. No existential dread --> better performances under pressure, I hope.

I'm looking forward to either enjoying round two or taking a break from playoff hockey. Obviously I'd prefer the former, but I have a lot of books/games/shows to catch up on. And the stress of watching your team in the POs is real.

I can’t give this enough likes. Agree 100

Reactions: Devil Dancer

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
To be honest that disallowed goal has me flashbacks of game seven versus the Flyers

We lost that game in OT and felt totally screwed by the refs. I believe our friend Mike Knuble scored it to knock us out

For the bright spot at least it happened in game six and not game seven

Having a ref take a goal away like that is a real backbreaker
Speaking of Knuble and goalie interference. How about him getting called for it in game 7 against Halak and the Habs in 2010 which would have tied the game. Was at that one and I still don't know what he did to make it interference.

Goalie interference so far in this series, Holtby is spun around and Canes score, ruled a goal and Reirden challenges and loses. Carlson outside the crease is pushed by Canes defender into Mracsek who's also outside the crease, referees call goalie interference. Then last night, highlights show that Mracsek was not in possession of the puck but rather the puck was on the ice in front of him and between his pads, not under his pads mind you. Mracsek on his own and on his knees turned towards his goal about 90 degrees and with it guided the puck but still never possessed it and this is when Ovechkin hit Mracsek's pad and the puck and we know the rest of the story. It also doesn't help the referee to maintain sight of a puck when one of the team's uniform is all in black.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Vrana and Hagelin are just killing any offense on that 2nd line... Maybe we should give Kuznetsov Connolly and Burakovsky.

I forgot who mentioned it, but Vrana doesn't look as good when he's not the fastest guy on the ice. We still need his speed though, but maybe sticking him on the 2nd for this series isn't the answer we've been looking for

Reactions: um

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Canes are good but if Caps showed more that wouldnt be a problem. Now they need to win G7 somehow and deal with Trappy Trotz.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Stock up on your favorite adult beverage and listen to that Modest mouse song and you’ll be good.

If in Canada grab an edible or roll up a phatty

lol

Got ‘em racked and stacked in the fridge. Was at aslin last Sunday, so I gots whatever is necessary. Good stuff...DIPAs, imp stouts, sours, fruits, all the way to trash....natty light and yuengling premium light.

Sep 19, 2008
They recorded the post-Game 6 Capitals Talk podcast live in an Uber and then the hotel :laugh:

Alan May is just concerned that Dan O'Hallaran could be the referee and doesn't want him to ref the game. For any big Caps fan this podcast is really worth it. They do a great job of breaking down the game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be interested in seeing the player tracking data on this once/if it becomes available in the upcoming seasons because I agree with this completely. I feel like the forwards rarely help the defensemen with breakouts compared to other teams and I'd like to see if the data backs this assertion.
It's probably partially related to not having a strong forecheck either with forwards cheating to get up the ice. One dysfunction leads to another and another. Overall, it's in stark contrast to the sort of neutral zone lockdown some credited Reirden with last season against PIT and beyond. Overall they just seem sort of complacent in relying on their ability rather than creating more consistently favorable terrain through engaged, patient and intelligent team play. Some of that may be their flagging energy levels and managing around it but even then you'd think there would be greater emphasis on discipline and trying to play a smarter ugly game compared to their road slop. They have pedigree but only to a certain extent when careless.

What Carolina impresses me with mostly is their awareness and structure. Their defense is also very good, young and energetic. Structural discipline, tenacity and the ability to dictate are increasingly difference makers. Teams need a MacKinnon or Benn but most everyone has those guys (Aho comes somewhat close) and they rarely get it done by themselves. Kuznetsov needs to be way better but so do his linemates for sure. No points for Vrana is shocking, although I think that's mostly because Carolina can match his speed and without that there's not a great deal else to have to deal with. The same goes for Hagelin, even if he's more willing to do some dirty work. It's where they miss Oshie most and probably where they should consider moving Burakovsky up if need be.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
lol

Got ‘em racked and stacked in the fridge. Was at aslin last Sunday, so I gots whatever is necessary. Good stuff...DIPAs, imp stouts, sours, fruits, all the way to trash....natty light and yuengling premium light.

Clearly you got your game face on! I’ll grab some domestic light beer and be 4 or 5 in by puck drop

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Vrana seems off. He does have 3G and a whopping 0A in 14GP since his fight, but the speed or jump is lacking. Maybe he is nursing a lower. He did get cut on the bridge IIRC.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's probably partially related to not having a strong forecheck either with forwards cheating to get up the ice. One dysfunction leads to another and another. Overall, it's in stark contrast to the sort of neutral zone lockdown some credited Reirden with last season against PIT and beyond. Overall they just seem sort of complacent in relying on their ability rather than creating more consistently favorable terrain through engaged, patient and intelligent team play. Some of that may be their flagging energy levels and managing around it but even then you'd think there would be greater emphasis on discipline and trying to play a smarter ugly game compared to their road slop. They have pedigree but only to a certain extent when careless.

What Carolina impresses me with mostly is their awareness and structure. Their defense is also very good, young and energetic. Structural discipline, tenacity and the ability to dictate are increasingly difference makers. Teams need a MacKinnon or Benn but most everyone has those guys (Aho comes somewhat close) and they rarely get it done by themselves. Kuznetsov needs to be way better but so do his linemates for sure. No points for Vrana is shocking, although I think that's mostly because Carolina can match his speed and without that there's not a great deal else to have to deal with. The same goes for Hagelin, even if he's more willing to do some dirty work. It's where they miss Oshie most and probably where they should consider moving Burakovsky up if need be.

I also feel that this kinda connects together. Even if we make stretch passes and don't connect, Vrana and Hagelin can catch up to the puck or sometimes wash out icing. With Carolina's speed, any missed stretch pass always ends up on Carolina sticks or always called for icing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Vrana seems off. He does have 3G and a whopping 0A in 14GP since his fight, but the speed or jump is lacking. Maybe he is nursing a lower. He did get cut on the bridge IIRC.

He’s had some chances for sure. Just haven’t gone in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just watched the rewind of the no goal call last night. The NBC crew had no defense for the no goal call. They had no explanation for it. Its a shame stuff like that has to happen. That happened in my end of the ice and I had no reason to believe that it wasn't a goal. In the arena you had to be paying attention that it was even being reviewed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s had some chances for sure. Just haven’t gone in.

His possession time. His being part of the play as opposed to Burakovsky is non existent. Maybe that is a biproduct of Kuzy stinking it up. He wasn't doing anything with Eller either while 65 clearly is

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Why mess with Connolly and Eller? Why mess with Connolly Eller and Burakovsky? They played well again last night. The Caps have 2 lines going right now. Kuzy is good enough to get going on his own. He doesn't need Eller's wingers to do it. Even if it does you are just trading Eller line goals for Kuzy line goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad