Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Caps just need to finish their chances better.

There seems to be a large discrepancy for the high danger scoring shooting pctg between the two teams through 4 games.

We play like we did in game 4 again and we should be good.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Not sure how much traction this argument is getting, but Reirden needs to put Kuzy, Ovie, Wilson back together. Kuzy has been in a funk and getting him back together with the linemates who helped lift him to greatness last season might do the trick. Added, Ovie, Backstrom, [insert random RW here] has never been a successful line in the playoffs, like ever. Just because Ovie, Backstrom, Wilson was working for a bit towards the end of the season and the first two playoff games isn't a good reason for me to see them continue working together.

I think the final games of this series comes down to coaching more than ever, given that Oshie is out. Reirden needs to shake things up and get things going again. I think that the first step towards achieving that goal is getting Kuzy with Ovie and Wilson. If I don't see that line combo in this series then I think Reirden is pretty much done with me.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
How many goals in the 4 games have been scored by other than Backstrom, Ov and Wilson?

Of the 9 goals scored this series, 6 have been scored by Wilson, Ovechkin, Backstrom. 3 by Backstrom, 2 by Ovechkin, 1 by Wilson.

If your post is a response to mine about splitting up that line, I will note that I don't think that it matters how many goals that line has scored so far (also noting that I believe that at least one of those 6 goals is a PP goal). There is a dearth of secondary scoring. Considering that Oshie is done and Kuznetsov appears lost, the second line is going to struggle. Put Backstrom with Vrana, where they have had success in the past.

There's gonna need to be some creativity to beat the Hurricanes. Otherwise we are just gonna watch their youthful forecheck outwork us for two more games.

(in my opinion)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If your post is a response to mine about splitting up that line, I will note that I don't think that it matters how many goals that line has scored so far

My view is that Kuzy is stinking up the show. The Caps have 1 line they can count on to create some scoring. The line you are saying wont work. What I see is putting Kuzy with Ov and killing what offense there is by unplugging both Ov and Backstrom from their current power source.

Additionally, Backstrom is the checking option against Aho. As long as Oshie is playing, either Wilson or Oshie can play the checking role with him. You can put any left wing with them and the checking remains viable. If you put Kuzy between 8 and 43, who is checking Aho with Backstrom? Hagelin and Vrana or Burakovsky? That's dangerous.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
My view is that Kuzy is stinking up the show. The Caps have 1 line they can count on to create some scoring. The line you are saying wont work. What I see is putting Kuzy with Ov and killing what offense there is by unplugging both Ov and Backstrom from their current power source.

Additionally, Backstrom is the checking option against Aho. As long as Oshie is playing, either Wilson or Oshie can play the checking role with him. You can put any left wing with them and the checking remains viable. If you put Kuzy between 8 and 43, who is checking Aho with Backstrom? Hagelin and Vrana or Burakovsky? That's dangerous.

I don’t mind Backstrom and Hagelin against Aho

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
If Kuz is currently in 'damaged goods' mode, then placing him with Wilson and Ovi helps Kuz... or... hinders Wilson and Ovi ??

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t mind Backstrom and Hagelin against Aho

I don't mind it from a checking stand point but Wilson and Oshie provide real offense. Hagelin turns Backstrom into Beagle.

Kyzy needs to carry a line. Not be carried by one.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

On the other hand, being preoccupied with shutdown match-ups when you've not scored a goal 5-on-5 for the past two games is probably not the way to go. They need not be reckless about it but scoring--and all of the details that make it a mere possibility--should be their primary concern at the moment. It's less about line configurations, though, than their structure, breakouts, forecheck and ability to get interior. They do need to get Kuznetsov going somehow and I don't think last year's lines is the worst idea. Backstrom with Hagelin & Vrana instead would be fine as a shutdown type option. Not great but they've got bigger concerns and those two wingers would at least be able to keep pace.

The problem with Oshie out is a weaker forechecking and two-way presence potentially, although Oshie wasn't having a terrific series anyway. They'll miss his leadership but they really need the third line to produce, esp. with 92 not going. One of the two have to give them something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well...sure. Kuzy is stinking it up and will drag Ov down. Taking any offensive help away will sink Backstrom. So, yea. Go Eller

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm completely against breaking up that top line or trying to "jump start" bad lines with players cannibalized from good ones, at least right now. That's something for the regular season when you can afford to experiment. If your experiment fails in the playoffs your season is over because you voluntarily dissected your top scoring threat.

The lower lines just have to play better. That's all there is to it. I think they'll get there if they all keep playing like they did for the first 55 or so minutes last night (they coasted a bit at the end).

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think with how hot Ovechstrom has been this post season you just can't break them up. Maybe toss a few shifts with Kuzy on the wing or something, but I'm not even sure I'm okay with that.

Honestly, is anyone else amazed at how Ovechkin is playing? For all the amazing and captivating things I've seen him do on the ice, I'm not sure I've ever see him give more effort and play such a complete game as he has these last two years (but this series in particular so far). It's incredible to see what he's become from those 12 minute Dale Hunter days.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think with how hot Ovechstrom has been this post season you just can't break them up. Maybe toss a few shifts with Kuzy on the wing or something, but I'm not even sure I'm okay with that.

Honestly, is anyone else amazed at how Ovechkin is playing? For all the amazing and captivating things I've seen him do on the ice, I'm not sure I've ever see him give more effort and play such a complete game as he has these last two years (but this series in particular so far). It's incredible to see what he's become from those 12 minute Dale Hunter days.

I refrained from polluting the GDT with my complaints about Olczyk last night, but he was up to his usual tricks of throwing shade at the Caps and focusing almost entirely on coaching the other team from the booth. Ovechkin would make some pass/play that would've sent him into a frenzy had it been Crosby, but nary a peep from closet Penscaster. Following one beautiful saucer pass to assist Backstrom all he could do was focus on the Canes players reactions and assignments. Same with the forecheck on Hamilton late in the game.

At least Pierre was giving out props fairly equally and was in awe of Ovechkin's performance. He's scoring, passing, hitting, fighting, causing chaos, forechecking...everything.

I think one reason they played like the Champs last night was Ovie is not only leading by example but he called them out publicly after game 4, and I'm sure in the locker room as well. If they slack again he should keep up the pressure.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn’t see it mentioned much in the GDT but I thought Siegenthaler was just what the doctor ordered. He actually played 16 more seconds than Orpik. Carlson only skated 20 minutes and Niskanen was your TOI leader with 22 minutes. I’m not sure what the TOI looks like for specific pairings and there’s some score effects to those numbers but please never put Carlson on his weak side again, thank you.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi 123 and 11 hits says it all. I have theorized that when Ovi goes into heavy passing mode, he is nursing an injury. He may also do that periodically to keep goalies and defenses honest. Or, maybe it's a directive from coaches, including telling Nick to drive the net he is going to be our finisher this series.

We scratch our heads when he passes up great scoring chances, but we literally expect him to shoot all the damn time. It ain't going to happen, and there are times when the goalie or D challenges him properly and effectively close the door on him, and he should pass. Is there another player that goalies should be challenging more aggressively? Hell no.

I flash back to game 7 OT vs philly in his first loffs, when he passed up shooting to pass to Feds. I hope that is the correct game I am remembering.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Ovi 123 and 11 hits says it all. I have theorized that when Ovi goes into heavy passing mode, he is nursing an injury. He may also do that periodically to keep goalies and defenses honest. Or, maybe it's a directive from coaches, including telling Nick to drive the net he is going to be our finisher this series.

We scratch our heads when he passes up great scoring chances, but we literally expect him to shoot all the damn time. It ain't going to happen, and there are times when the goalie or D challenges him properly and effectively close the door on him, and he should pass. Is there another player that goalies should be challenging more aggressively? Hell no.

I flash back to game 7 OT vs philly in his first loffs, when he passed up shooting to pass to Feds. I hope that is the correct game I am remembering.

Correct game and actually in OT too I believe. Would have been a great play if it worked, but I (assuming with a lot of others) was shocked he passed up launching the shot on net.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I tell you what, the Canes fans on this board are making every other fan look like idiots. You clearly can tell they have just started watching hockey and/or are extremely young

Every hit to them is a headshot or a penalty

That “icing” was supposed to be reviewable according to a post I saw

The entire NHL, refs, media has a bias for us

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I tell you what, the Canes fans on this board are making every other fan look like idiots. You clearly can tell they have just started watching hockey and/or are extremely young

It’s definitely a segment of them.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Didn’t see it mentioned much in the GDT but I thought Siegenthaler was just what the doctor ordered. He actually played 16 more seconds than Orpik. Carlson only skated 20 minutes and Niskanen was your TOI leader with 22 minutes. I’m not sure what the TOI looks like for specific pairings and there’s some score effects to those numbers but please never put Carlson on his weak side again, thank you.

Getting the dmen on their correct sides was crucial. Especially when it means maximizing your #1 dman.

He looks very smooth and composed. Big strong kid

Sep 19, 2008
Didn't see on TV as I was actually there in the arena but Forslund doing commentary for the Caps game when he is a broadcaster for the Canes seemed odd. Of course he sounded very disappointed after that 6-0 win :laugh:

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Just finally watching G5 and my mind is blown on the Carlson "GI" call. When Eddie O is calling you out on a bad call against the Caps; you probably shouldn't be officiating in the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Meh, I think it’s generally unfair to paint entire fan bases with broad strokes. Sure there are some Canes posters I could do without and some of the takes I’ve seen are laughably bad but I’ve seen plenty of posters that are solid contributors to the boards. Also let’s not act like we don’t have our fair share of duds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad