Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think last year was a phenomenal concurrence of factors they couldn't repeat, and they sensed it. The same spark and underlying certainty wasn't there, and except for a few bursts they played to not-lose rather than win. That never works.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No it's not. Rewatch game 5 and tell me DSP was a non-factor. He played his ass off. But the coach didn't reward him, and instead cut his minutes.

You know what else he brought - energy.

The arena sounded awful dead last night, especially in OT. I cannot say for fact but do think players feed off of energy. And I bet if he got some shifts say in OT2, he would have been shot out of cannon. Instead, he remained benched.

Reactions: thelebaron

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think last year was a phenomenal concurrence of factors they couldn't repeat, and they sensed it. The same spark and underlying certainty wasn't there, and except for a few bursts they played to not-lose rather than win. That never works.

Good observation and well said. The more I think about it, the more I think the seeds of doubt crept into their heads after Oshie bowed out. The do it for Oshie game 5, was the best we were able to give and thus tough to be replicated. The boys may have known that we were toast.

In hindsight I would say we needed that effort to happen in game 7, for us to advance.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Just watch the condensed game.
This game (and series) was so Capitals playoff luck pre Cup.
Posts, lucky bounces don't go our way but the opponent's. And you lose G7 at home in 2OT.

This elimination will be hard to swallow, in the next weeks, months. Harder than it is now.

Holtby, what happened on the first goal? :(

Ovi :bow::bow: That 2nd goal, what a move, what an effort. Wonderful.
So glad to be an Ovi and a Caps fan, how you cannot like him? What a player.
I wouldn't trade Ovi's career against anything (even Crosby's). Skill, Power, Flashy, Goalscoarer, Leadership. He has everything.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Trotz was a choker for a while in Washington, but the minute he decides to stop choking, he is let go which is bs. Non choking Trotz is a good coach as witnessed in NYI

The Caps got what they were gonna get out of Trotz. There was nowhere to go but down.

I am giving Reirden a chance, and a chance is at least three seasons. Also, I hate to break it to you, but chances are Reirden won't win a Cup either.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The Caps got what they were gonna get out of Trotz. There was nowhere to go but down.

I am giving Reirden a chance, and a chance is at least three seasons. Also, I hate to break it to you, but chances are Reirden won't win a Cup either.
There needs to be a coach or at least coaching group that can get deep in playoffs. Pens have 3 head coaches. Ovi was miles ahead as conn smythe winner and measly Carolina eliminates the Caps in game 7 ot in round 1. It feels like there's no point watching RS if the result will always be losing to inferior teams in round 1 and 2 due to poor coaching.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
It's a damn shame either the Islanders or the Canes are going to be in the ECF. Definitely rooting for CBJ, Sharks, or Blues Cup from here on out.

I would trade Holtby. Florida, Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Chicago all could be possible places. Clear some of his cap, let Connolly walk, trade Niskanen for whatever picks you can get from him. Inject some new blood, get some new assistant coaches and roll the dice for next year.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

kmart

Jan 23, 2008

they didn have to go down, they could have stayed at the top for one more year.

there are 0 reasons to depart the coach who just won a cup with ur team. maybe after a few seasons when he loses the team, when the team begins to suck... yes yes yes ! but not before... the normal route for a coach is hang with his team after a cupwin and see what happens... maybe it turns out into a dan blysma situation, maybe in a mike sullivan back to backrun... we will never know. anyway, holding on to berry was the best bet. everything else is just dissonance, trying to explain the worse decision into something positive. caps front office decided to just wing it without paying trotz and now we fans have to deal with a frustrating exit in the first round because of this greed.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
After sleeping on it, and replaying the game in my mind, it's pretty clear that the Caps simply did not have the hunger driving them that they did last year. Having already won the big prize takes away that last little bit of drive one has to dig down very deep to tap into when tired, and that showed late in the game and in overtime; the Canes had it, most Caps did not.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Keep in mind 8 of the last 10 Cups were won by one of three teams: Chicago, LA, or Pittsburgh. Even though these franchises were able to sustain high levels of play and accumulate multiple Cups, only the Pens were able to repeat. That was the first repeat of the salary cap era, and the third since the dynasty era of the 70s and 80s (Pens in early 90s, Red Wings late-90s). All of these teams, including the Caps and Bruins, have had a chance almost every year.

So it is possible for the Caps to come back and win again next year, or the year after that, with a retooled lineup.

Repeats are rare now. Winning after taking a year off is more common.

As a side note, if the Isles win then Trotz will be the first coach to win b2b Cups with 2 different teams in around 80 years.

hacknwack

Apr 6, 2019
Hey guys. Canes fan here. I posted one comment right before game 1. That was one hell of a dogfight. You guys have an incredible team and it took our team playing outside of themselves and a lot of luck to pull that series out. I know that we get tempted to want to see changes if our teams dont win...but let me tell you...you guys are a great team and scary as hell to play against. I have no doubt that you guys probably could have won the cup this year if it wasnt for a few miracles that took place for our team. I absolutely think you're roster is amazing and you could very easily win the cup again next season. Ovie is a monster...and your team is incredibly physical. Truly the only reason we won that OT is because Roddy is our coach and were young...so it was conditioning. If you guys go into the offseason and focus on conditioning the Caps will steamroll everyone.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You know what else he brought - energy.

The arena sounded awful dead last night, especially in OT. I cannot say for fact but do think players feed off of energy. And I bet if he got some shifts say in OT2, he would have been shot out of cannon. Instead, he remained benched.
Just one of many mistakes, IMO, by Reirden. Play the 3rd and 4th lines more to at least find some energy and give the top lines some rest. Not to mention that they could apply some pressure and grit in Carolina’s end. Reirden was trying to get the game over with, and in my opinion that was another example of him not having a pulse on the game; our top 6 was not going to increase its chance of scoring with volume of minutes, but it sure increased Carolina’s chance. That was Wilson’s man at the end, he looked pooped. How is it that an almost 40 year-old Justin Williams had more energy than Wilson?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Uh huh....enjoy your break. Shocked the glow of the Cup has worn off some of you so fast.

I woke up this morning a little bummed, but the least upset I’ve ever been after a series loss. I’m pissed a few of these under performing ****ers wasted one of Ovy’s last seasons more than anything, but life goes on.

A quick clarification of my position. After the Caps choked out again 2 seasons ago, I said I had enough of that til the proved different.

After winning the cup I spent money on the team and believed in them. After another typical Caps choke job. I can't imagine how I have any confidence in them next playoffs.

I expected them not to blow. 3 games to 2 opening round lead and a 3 goals to 1 g7 lead.

We are back to pre cup Caps. If you think you won't feel that way next April, good. I am not upset. The cup was a highlight of my life.

The waiting for the annual choke is not. Thars all I am saying.

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Keep in mind 8 of the last 10 Cups were won by one of three teams: Chicago, LA, or Pittsburgh. Even though these franchises were able to sustain high levels of play and accumulate multiple Cups, only the Pens were able to repeat. That was the first repeat of the salary cap era, and the third since the dynasty era of the 70s and 80s (Pens in early 90s, Red Wings late-90s). All of these teams, including the Caps and Bruins, have had a chance almost every year.

So it is possible for the Caps to come back and win again next year, or the year after that, with a retooled lineup.

Repeats are rare now. Winning after taking a year off is more common.

As a side note, if the Isles win then Trotz will be the first coach to win b2b Cups with 2 different teams in around 80 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if they win it next year.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Regarding the coaching, TR may end up not having been a good choice but IMO it's way too soon to make that call. For this season he basically delivered the same result as Trotz did in his first seasons... a top seed and early playoff exit.

Barry squandered three younger, at least as stacked Caps teams (not to mention 14 years of Preds rosters) before finally getting past R2. Reirden's squad had the benefit of experience winning but also was older, had more significant injuries, and probably was struggling with fatigue after playing so much hockey over the past 19 months.

The test of Todd will be next year. Does he develop as a coach? Does he learn from his mistakes? We probably will never know why he made the decisions he did in this series, but can he evaluate those accurately and change where it's needed?

Time will tell, but IMO it's just unreasonable to draw meaningful conclusions from the sample size available, and doing so is more about personal bias than the information currently on offer.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A quick clarification of my position. After the Caps choked out again 2 seasons ago, I said I had enough of that til the proved different.

After winning the cup I spent money on the team and believed in them. After another typical Caps choke job. I can't imagine how I have any confidence in them next playoffs.

I expected them not to blow. 3 games to 2 opening round lead and a 3 goals to 1 g7 lead.

We are back to pre cup Caps. If you think you won't feel that way next April, good. I am not upset. The cup was a highlight of my life.

The waiting for the annual choke is not. Thars all I am saying.
You're entitled to your opinion and you may be right, but you may also be wrong. It's not uncommon for reigning Cup champs to stumble in the playoffs the following year. One series is not a pattern. So I for one will hope you're wrong.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You're entitled to your opinion and you may be right, but you may also be wrong. It's not uncommon for reigning Cup champs to stumble in the playoffs the following year. One series is not a pattern. So I for one will hope you're wrong.

All I know is that series did fit a pattern that we all know well. That is the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->