Confirmed with Link: Lyubushkin to ANA for MIN 2025 4th

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Depending how they both do in Roch, Johnson and Novikov should leap over Clague and Bryson on the depth chart.

Expecting Novikov to leap over two guys with plenty of NHL experience seems like a stretch. I'm hopeful he'll be an NHL regular in due course......but I don't think he gets an NHL game this year unless there's an apocalyptic run of injuries.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
kevyn adams shopping for defensemen
1692587330006.png

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Expecting Novikov to leap over two guys with plenty of NHL experience seems like a stretch. I'm hopeful he'll be an NHL regular in due course......but I don't think he gets an NHL game this year unless there's an apocalyptic run of injuries.
I should've clarified that I meant after this season that Johnson and Novikov could leap Clague and Bryson but both probably won't receiver contracts after this season anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think you mean "until"

Reactions: oldgoalie

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I have zero issue with this trade, but for people calling Bryson and Clague good depth? Bryson and Clague are NOT NHL defenseman. They are emergency measures at best.

At least Lyubushkin was an NHL defensman when healthy.

KA still has some work to do here.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I have zero issue with this trade, but for people calling Bryson and Clague good depth? Bryson and Clague are NOT NHL defenseman. They are emergency measures at best.

How many of these NHL defensemen that are out there are fine with being #8+ on the depth chart

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Bryson and Clague are average "get through waivers to the AHL" depth D.

Reactions: Irie and Zman5778

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Very few teams have NHL caliber defesemen playing in the AHL. Your best case scenario is an ELC who could be brought up.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
How many of these NHL defensemen that are out there are fine with being #8+ on the depth chart
Bryson and Clague are average "get through waivers to the AHL" depth D.
Very few teams have NHL caliber defesemen playing in the AHL. Your best case scenario is an ELC who could be brought up.
Alternatively, the Sabres could have more developing Dmen with upside, who still have years of waiver exemption, fighting to make the roster. This might have taken some planning the last few years in how we drafted, OR the willingness to trade a forward prospect or two for a defensive prospect or two. Bryson/Clague is a poor place to end up as your depth option IMO.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Alternatively, the Sabres could have more developing Dmen with upside, who still have years of waiver exemption, fighting to make the roster. This might have taken some planning the last few years in how we drafted, OR the willingness to trade a forward prospect or two for a defensive prospect or two. Bryson/Clague is a poor place to end up as your depth option IMO.
Like RyJo

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

As already pointed out that's what Ryan Johnson and Novikov are.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Boosh getting traded was unsurprising.

He hardly saw the ice (9min 5v5 atoi) at the end of the season during the final push for a playoff spot.

I totally get the argument that Boosh as a #8 organizationally might be better served for us this year than a 4th round pick in 2 years. But that would require us to carry 8 defensemen.

But Boosh getting traded is a CLEAR signal that we're only going to carry 7 defensemen, and we wanted to do right by Boosh (and by extension, Stillman) in not demoting him.

To me -- this is the clearest signal yet that we're going with 13/7/3 to start the year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I totally get the argument that Boosh as a #8 organizationally might be better served for us this year than a 4th round pick in 2 years. But that would require us to carry 8 defensemen.

But Boosh getting traded is a CLEAR signal that we're only going to carry 7 defensemen, and we wanted to do right by Boosh (and by extension, Stillman) in not demoting him.

To me -- this is the clearest signal yet that we're going with 13/7/3 to start the year.
That seems to be the way it's going if Bryson is waived to Rochester.

Reactions: Zman5778

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
As already pointed out that's what Ryan Johnson and Novikov are.
Novikov is not ready to be NHL depth yet. Maybe by the end of the year. We will see. We don't know about RJ yet either.

There is a group defending the current position that is missing my point.

We have Bryson/Clague as our depth because we don't have prospects ready yet to be relied on as depth. Will we get there someday? We might, but we are not there now, which IMO has been poor planning by management, and failure to keep a more balanced pipeline. The lack of balance could be ok, if the management staff showed the willingnes to make the trades to balance it, but so far we have not seen that.

I never again want to see Bryson playing an NHL game for the Sabres. Make it happen KA.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Novikov is not ready to be NHL depth yet. Maybe by the end of the year. We will see. We don't know about RJ yet either.

There is a group defending the current position that is missing my point.

We have Bryson/Clague as our depth because we don't have prospects ready yet to be relied on as depth. Will we get there someday? We might, but we are not there now, which IMO has been poor planning by management, and failure to keep a more balanced pipeline. The lack of balance could be ok, if the management staff showed the willingnes to make the trades to balance it, but so far we have not seen that.

I never again want to see Bryson playing an NHL game for the Sabres. Make it happen KA.

You're digging into a mole hill preparing to die on it?

Teams rarely balance out their prospects with like for like F <-> D trades. That just isn't a common practice. You pick BPA and hope the chips fall where you need them to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad