Confirmed with Link: Lyubushkin to ANA for MIN 2025 4th

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They brought him in to be a physical presence and he didn't really play that way. Not sure why. Hope he enjoys SoCal.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So has Boosh. I don't really get this point.
Boosh had one such season. Johnson and Jokiharju have missed many games over the past three seasons.
He just turned 24 & is an RFA. There's much more potential going on with Joki. Boosh is what he is at this point.
And he's bad, he can't play defense, he can't play attack, he can't play the physical game, he's prone to injury. Age is nothing. Some here defended Risto, it looks very similar. Jokiharju is not a top 4 defender and is not sure if he is a good fit for third pair. I would prefer Boosh in the third pair than Joki.
Jokiharju.png

He's looked fine to me. Has shown more flashes than Boosh offensively. Looks pretty similar defensively. Throws more hits than Boosh & will drop the gloves if he has to.
I have no questions for Stillman, though for Granato he doesn't seem to be too many ice-time, but he's a LD, he can come in handy and probably a better fit than Bryson and Clague for our depth.
Because this is goofy. We've seen non playoff teams (like us) had to overpay for goalies like Husso/Korpisalo. We've seen playoff teams like Toronto/Colorado/Carolina get goalies to sign for cheap. Like do you honestly think goalies that were interested in contenders are willing to sign reasonable deals here? Adams is the GM. Not Pierre Dorion.
Why don't you look at trades, but only at UFA? Vanecek, Gustavsson, MAF, Hill, Georgiev, Samsonov (although he was UFA), DeSmith, Talbot. All of these goalies have been traded over the last few years and in my opinion most of them would be better than Comrie, UPL, Dell and Subban.
It was an extremely low risk move to gamble on a guy that had a good stretch of games as a backup. He had a .920 save % in 16 games. What's the alternative? Signing Jack Campbell or Ville Husso to 5M a year deals to put up similar stats?
He played 19 games that season and was not good in almost half of them. In the end Adams took a risk and signed him, it didn't work and here we are again.
Like who? We've had rumors of Brett Pesce having us on his list. Same with John Gibson. We've had Matt Murray turn down a trade. We've had guys mention that Buffalo was interested in FA and they signed with another team. Any guy we've had to sign in FA has had to been an overpay. Boosh for near 3M. Erik Johnson for 3M. Clifton for 3.3M for 3 years.
Friedman said, plus someone else, that most players no longer add Buffalo to their no-trade list. Murray and Gibson were before that. As for Pesce, I don’t know, I haven’t seen reliable information that Buffalo is on his list, but it’s possible. Many players don't have NTС and they don't mind playing for Buffalo.
Seems like you think this is like a video game with everyone up for grabs with no consideration for if they want to be here or if they actually fit with the team.
Or people like you are stuck in the plush reality of unicorns, where everything is fine, all moves of Adams are correct and he does not make mistakes. It cannot be criticized and can only be praised. I think this is wrong, it can and should be criticized if a person believes that Adams is doing something wrong. I'm not against Adams and I like a lot about him, but there are also things I don't like. The position goalie is the most painful place for me, after the departure of Ullmark, Adams did not solve this problem and enters the season with a very dubious team of goalies, imo.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Boosh had one such season. Johnson and Jokiharju have missed many games over the past three seasons.

And he's bad, he can't play defense, he can't play attack, he can't play the physical game, he's prone to injury. Age is nothing. Some here defended Risto, it looks very similar. Jokiharju is not a top 4 defender and is not sure if he is a good fit for third pair. I would prefer Boosh in the third pair than Joki.
View attachment 737141

I have no questions for Stillman, though for Granato he doesn't seem to be too many ice-time, but he's a LD, he can come in handy and probably a better fit than Bryson and Clague for our depth.

Why don't you look at trades, but only at UFA? Vanecek, Gustavsson, MAF, Hill, Georgiev, Samsonov (although he was UFA), DeSmith, Talbot. All of these goalies have been traded over the last few years and in my opinion most of them would be better than Comrie, UPL, Dell and Subban.

He played 19 games that season and was not good in almost half of them. In the end Adams took a risk and signed him, it didn't work and here we are again.

Friedman said, plus someone else, that most players no longer add Buffalo to their no-trade list. Murray and Gibson were before that. As for Pesce, I don’t know, I haven’t seen reliable information that Buffalo is on his list, but it’s possible. Many players don't have NTС and they don't mind playing for Buffalo.

Or people like you are stuck in the plush reality of unicorns, where everything is fine, all moves of Adams are correct and he does not make mistakes. It cannot be criticized and can only be praised. I think this is wrong, it can and should be criticized if a person believes that Adams is doing something wrong. I'm not against Adams and I like a lot about him, but there are also things I don't like. The position goalie is the most painful place for me, after the departure of Ullmark, Adams did not solve this problem and enters the season with a very dubious team of goalies, imo.
> Boosh had one such season. Johnson and Jokiharju have missed many games over the past three seasons.

They have not missed many games. Erik Johnson was injured for a year 3 seasons ago and hasn't missed many.
Last 2 years: Jonhson (24 games) Joki (24 games) Boosh (19 games)
Wow what a big difference...

> And he's bad, he can't play defense, he can't play attack, he can't play the physical game, he's prone to injury. Age is nothing. Some here defended Risto, it looks very similar. Jokiharju is not a top 4 defender and is not sure if he is a good fit for third pair. I would prefer Boosh in the third pair than Joki.

Where's Boosh's chart? Neither are good as is. Joki just has more potential.

Risto has actually been really decent as a bottom pair d man right now. That doesn't help your argument. I don't think Joki is a top 4 d man. I think he can be an effective bottom pair guy. Thought the same about Risto.

I also don't put my entire player evaluation into charts. Same reason why I didn't think Tage Thompson was the "literally worst player in the NHL" as some analytics gurus called him 3 years ago.

> Why don't you look at trades, but only at UFA? Vanecek, Gustavsson, MAF, Hill, Georgiev, Samsonov (although he was UFA), DeSmith, Talbot. All of these goalies have been traded over the last few years and in my opinion most of them would be better than Comrie, UPL, Dell and Subban.

This is why I can't take you seriously. Really MAF? He's coming to Buffalo? Is this like when Letang was coming here too? Just throwing out every name at this point. Georgiev signed a contract in Colorado. Samsonov signed a similar deal to Comrie with Toronto. Do you really think those guys were willing to sign those kind of deals with us and Adams decided not to sign them? Adams literally offered Ullmark a deal and he went to Boston. I bet he's offered deals to a lot of goalies and they've went to other teams. I just can't understand how you look at a goalie signing a cheap deal with a contender and say, "why didn't Adams do that?"

> Many players don't have NTС and they don't mind playing for Buffalo.

Do you know them personally or something? Who are you even talking about? We've had to overpay just to get bottom pair d men in FA lol.

> Or people like you are stuck in the plush reality of unicorns, where everything is fine, all moves of Adams are correct and he does not make mistakes

I just look at things realistically. I know we have to overpay to get guys to come here currently. I'm not interested in trading away our promising prospects. I don't want to sign bad players in FA to long term deals. I don't freak out just because we traded a depth defenceman who would've been a healthy scratch.

Reactions: StlSwedes

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They have not missed many games. Erik Johnson was injured for a year 3 seasons ago and hasn't missed many.
Last 2 years: Jonhson (24 games) Joki (24 games) Boosh (19 games)
Wow what a big difference...
Johnson almost completely missed the 20-21 season, playing only four games. He missed almost 20 games last season. Jokiharju constantly has a lot of minor injuries in recent years, he used to miss at least a month, and so more than once. But this is of course not a key factor, he is just not a very good player and overrated.
Where's Boosh's chart? Neither are good as is. Joki just has more potential.

Risto has actually been really decent as a bottom pair d man right now. That doesn't help your argument. I don't think Joki is a top 4 d man. I think he can be an effective bottom pair guy. Thought the same about Risto.

I also don't put my entire player evaluation into charts. Same reason why I didn't think Tage Thompson was the "literally worst player in the NHL" as some analytics gurus called him 3 years ago.
Here are Boosh's charts, he knows how to play defense and the physical game, Joki does not. In Arizona, Boosh looked decent for his role. Yes, he is a third pair guy, but he did a good job. Jokiharyu is a completely incomprehensible player, either he is so bad, or he simply does not fit the Granato game system, but I would trade him to find a better defender. He is almost 25 years old, it's time to stop talking about his prospects if he does not improve and is not a top 4 defender.

Risto is just a dumb player, but he is at least physical unlike Jokiharju, although they both make stupid mistakes in defense, both should not play in the top 4 and as I said, I would prefer Boosh in the third pair, not Joki, because he is better in defense and plays physical. game.

Well, I don't agree, what does Thompson have to do with it? Are we going to wait forever for Jokiharju to shoot like Thompson or what? Joki plays poorly and is not a top 4 defender, this confirms eye test and metrics, that's all.

I will say so. I would give a second chance to Lyubushkin than to give a fourth or fifth chance to Jokiharju.
21312.png
23423423.png
434234.png

This is why I can't take you seriously. Really MAF? He's coming to Buffalo? Is this like when Letang was coming here too? Just throwing out every name at this point. Georgiev signed a contract in Colorado. Samsonov signed a similar deal to Comrie with Toronto. Do you really think those guys were willing to sign those kind of deals with us and Adams decided not to sign them? Adams literally offered Ullmark a deal and he went to Boston. I bet he's offered deals to a lot of goalies and they've went to other teams. I just can't understand how you look at a goalie signing a cheap deal with a contender and say, "why didn't Adams do that?"
Can't you take me seriously? These are your problems, but you yourself answered me in this thread, and I see you for the first time on these boards.

I wrote a list and it was mostly trades. Georgiev was traded, Vanecek was also not in the conteder, the same with the young Gustavsson. Hill was available. There have been even more options to trade over the years and I'm sure there are now too, it's just that Adams seems afraid to spend assets to get a legitimate goaltender, not necessarily even a Vezina goaltender, at least average or slightly above average. MAF was also traded from Vegas, who knows if he would have been ready to come to Buffalo, but he has a great relationship with Bales and Vegas just threw him out. I wasn't talking about now, but about that trade from Vegas.
Do you know them personally or something? Who are you even talking about? We've had to overpay just to get bottom pair d men in FA lol.
How do I know who it is, but it was information from journalists a few months ago. For what I bought, for that I sell. Yes, but at the same time, Johnson says that he had better offers, but he chose Buffalo. I'm sure there was a lot of demand for Clifton too.
I just look at things realistically. I know we have to overpay to get guys to come here currently. I'm not interested in trading away our promising prospects. I don't want to sign bad players in FA to long term deals. I don't freak out just because we traded a depth defenceman who would've been a healthy scratch.
Debatable. It's not just about this trade. I already said that I don't like Adams' offseason.

1) I don't like our goalies team, two inexperienced goalies with a bad season, fickle and unproven. And a young college guy who will have to clean up all this shit.

2) Top 4 defender is still in question. I like Clifton, but he's a wild card. Johnson is basically just an experienced player for third pair. It might work, but it might not. Perhaps Adams could have handled it better.

3) What is the problem with trading prospects? We have a lot of them and we need to fill the roster with quality players, trading one prospect is not the same as what Murray did earlier.

4) New Jersey before the past season added a normal goalie (not Vezina's caliber), a legit top 4 defender in the person of Marino, who we also really needed and Palat in UFA. And it helped them a lot and they made it to the playoffs.

Adams should have done the same, which is a great example. We needed goalie and top 4 D. Moreover, Palat signed a long-term contract, and guys like Bertuzzi, Tarasenko and probably Tatar signed (will sign) a contract for one year, which does not affect the cap in the future.

That's what I don't like about Adams' offseason.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If we just trade one D, I would have prefered it would be Joker.
I liked Lubu in his limited role.
I rather see him than Joker on the 3rd pair.
Havent seen enough of Stillman yet, but he deserves a full season before I make a judgement about him.
There is a lot of competition for the 3rd pairing, but other than Clifton I dont see many options for Powers parntner.
I just hope they re not trying Joker in that role again.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So assuming Bryson goes to Rochester, we are down to 7 NHL defensemen, right?

is the competition between Stillman and joker for the third pairing?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If I remember, he got injured pretty early in the season and just never materialized into a physical shut down guy that we were hoping for. Not a bad player but never really seemed to fit well or settle in. Some salary and one less log in the jam. Seems fine.

So assuming Bryson goes to Rochester, we are down to 7 NHL defensemen, right?

is the competition between Stillman and joker for the third pairing?
Despite our collective wants, I would imagine it's joker with Stillman as the 7th. Somebody in Rochester will stick out as well.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dahlin, Sammy, Power, Clifton, E. Johnson, Joki, Clifton, Stillman, Boosh, Bryson. That's 10. Like how many d men are you gonna hold for depth lmao? Gonna have 4 NHL defenders in the press box at all times just in case? What would he be on our depth chart? 8th or 9th? No point in having multiple guys being healthy scratches for "depth" purposes.

There have been a few goalies on the market that have been overpaid & some goalies that didn't want to be here. Unless you were big on us singing Jack Campbell or Koorpisalo to mega deals?

"Adams hasn't been able to get one" He literally signed Comrie? Who has honestly looked better than some of the goalies that signed these big deals in FA.

" It's a failure for Adams and we'll probably miss the playoffs again." This isn't NHL 23. It's not just throw money at any player and they will automatically fit well on your team. I'm not sure if you think every single player wants to sign here & Adams is just saying no?

Let‘s start with how you got to 10. Come on man. I don’t know if it was on purpose or accident but come on.

He got Comrie? He waited until everyone settled their goalie position…like he did the year before…and this is what was left. What a get! And he followed up two years of inaction with…NO MOVE IN GOAL. He’s getting worse.

This is Adams 4th off-season. Any position he has completely failed to address like top 4 D and Goalie are his fault.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Boosh was likely the worst defenseman in the NHL last season who played 1000+ minutes.
Yeah, but we've been talking over the past seasons, he's been fine in Arizona and Toronto. He also had an injury and played with a broken leg (which he himself confirmed last season). So I would like to give him a second chance.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
And for those celebrating Lyubushkin being the first man out…he, at least, looked like a good third pairing D with Stillman. Joker hasn’t looked good with anyone and now is going to either play his offhand or the Dahlin/ Samuelsson pairing is being sacrificed to accommodate him.

When does the parade start?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lyubushkin wasn't staying past this season anyway, and it was reported a few months ago that he wanted more ice time and wasn't going to be happy as a scratch. This was both a favor to him as a pending UFA to get more ice time and a chance at a better contract somewhere else, and a practical move to clear a roster space. He wasn't that good aside from being necessary last season, compared to the slop that was rotating between the 3rd pair and Rochester.

They can still keep eight or waive Bryson and go with -

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Stillman - EJ/Joker

I'm a bit surprised a trade was made, but if it was going to happen now, Lyubushkin makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Let‘s start with how you got to 10. Come on man. I don’t know if it was on purpose or accident but come on.

He got Comrie? He waited until everyone settled their goalie position…like he did the year before…and this is what was left. What a get! And he followed up two years of inaction with…NO MOVE IN GOAL. He’s getting worse.

This is Adams 4th off-season. Any position he has completely failed to address like top 4 D and Goalie are his fault.

Well. Some people are getting worse at least!

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I like these trades where you set the player up to have a top-6 spot. It's good karma. I thought Anaheim made the most sense for *Joker* but Anaheim isn't interested in trading 2nd round picks which may be the value they want for Joker.

I like the Stillman-Joker pairing a lot. Hopefully Power-Clifton click

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If we just trade one D, I would have prefered it would be Joker.
I liked Lubu in his limited role.
I rather see him than Joker on the 3rd pair.
Havent seen enough of Stillman yet, but he deserves a full season before I make a judgement about him.
There is a lot of competition for the 3rd pairing, but other than Clifton I dont see many options for Powers parntner.
I just hope they re not trying Joker in that role again.
The problem with trading Joker is he would cost more due to age and RFA status, if we had traded Joker for a 4th people would be up in arms and ANA either wasnt interested or wasnt interested at the price.

Reactions: Dingo44

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I like these trades where you set the player up to have a top-6 spot. It's good karma. I thought Anaheim made the most sense for *Joker* but Anaheim isn't interested in trading 2nd round picks which may be the value they want for Joker.

I like the Stillman-Joker pairing a lot. Hopefully Power-Clifton click
I don't see both Stillman/Joker playing with everyone healthy. Most likely Stillman-Johnson IMO. They didn't sign Clifton or Johnson to warm the press box.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Unless the Sabres are making a trade or signing someone, this is all about saving money. Once Bryson is sent down, cap room is close to $10 M. LOL

The logjam on D argument seems to be based on every D man in the top seven not getting injured. Not to mention, the idea Stillman is okay is based on games.

If this is the lineup, count on seeing Bryson/Clague playing 24 games or so this year and Stillman at close to 50, once injuries happen. And they will. They always do.

People tell me Pegula will spend but I see a team $10 M below cap with serious depth needs. Even saving money for rookie bonuses, we have tons to cap room.

The new excuse is we need cap room for 2024-2025. It's just absurd, we threw away depth signed for one year and there are tons of contracts out there for one year deals.

This looks like Pegula saving money once again.

Love to be wrong and maybe moneybags shift some coin in but this is the guy who didn't even give his lowest paid staff their vacation pay when he laid them off.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Are we really bringing the 'Adams has neglected goalie' & 'Pegula is cheap' arguements into this thread? :eyeroll:

I mean, i agree with the former. But this is clearly about giving a guy who is now your organisational 4th or 5th RHD but deserving of a regular bottom pair role, a chance to do that somewhere else. He was an upcoming UFA who obviously wasn't going to be resigned.

If you want to be pissed off at this move - then complain about the signings of Clifton/Johnson - because they are bottom pair RHDs who were/are the direct replacements for Lyubushkin.

Clifton provides possible top four upside & familiarity with Granato's system while Johnson provides top quality veteran leadership. Lyubushkin provides neither of these things - which is why he was further down the depth chart.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Lyubushkin wasn't staying past this season anyway, and it was reported a few months ago that he wanted more ice time and wasn't going to be happy as a scratch. This was both a favor to him as a pending UFA to get more ice time and a chance at a better contract somewhere else, and a practical move to clear a roster space. He wasn't that good aside from being necessary last season, compared to the slop that was rotating between the 3rd pair and Rochester.

They can still keep eight or waive Bryson and go with -

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Stillman - EJ/Joker

I'm a bit surprised a trade was made, but if it was going to happen now, Lyubushkin makes the most sense.
That lineup seems most likely to start the season.

The wildcards (jokers?) are:

> is Ryan Johnson ready to play at this level?
> can Jokiharju play on the left side?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I really dont think trading Boosh was because of money. And sending down Bryson doesn't save a dime, its a cap saving of 1.35 as all for transactional buried contract but Bryson is still getting paid in full

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I really dont think trading Boosh was because of money. And sending down Bryson doesn't save a dime, its a cap saving of 1.35 as all for transactional buried contract but Bryson is still getting paid in full
1.15 is what can be buried so the big club would still have a 700k cap hit from Brysons contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad