Proposal: LW to CGY (COL, OTT, NYR, TBL, NYI)

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
A major issue is the refusal by Sens fans to acknowledge that Hoffman will be 27 by the time the season starts and he has only 1 more year of RFA status left. I have yet to see a Sens proposal involving Hoffman that doesn't target a younger and equally (or better) offensive player. You're going to have to give up current production for youth and contract, if you want younger.

Main issue is most sens fans don't want to move Hoffman. If we move him we want someone similar in age and talent or younger with potential.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Cammalleri might end up available within the next year if he wants to make a three peat in Calgary. With Hall at 1LW and everyone of our prospects pushing into the LW spot, he might become expendable soon.

Would likely cost less than those assets as well.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
Yeah, I don't get it....

Gaudreau is one of the best LWs in the league. So we're talking about a #2 LW. As we have many prospects in the pipe to potentially fill that role, we'd be looking at a stop gap veteran. That's probably the easiest piece to acquire via free agency. A 40-50 point 2nd line LW. We should not be giving up any assets for that.

If the Flames feel this is really the year to compete and none of the prospects are ready, just sign Tanguay for a year or see if Hudler will re-sign for 1-2 years.

Not a flames expert or anything, but I would expect one of "Backlund/Jankowski/Monahan/Bennett" will play wing this year. Backlund+Monahan at C, but I can't see them using Jankowski or Bennett on the 4th line... and there's also a possibility of one of the other prospects he listed stepping in this year. From an outside perspective, given their prospect depth it doesn't look worth it to spend significant assets on a LW right now. Maybe a shorter term/cheaper option for now, but even that doesn't look necessary to me.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I dont really believe its a reasonable possibility with our cap structure that we can obtain another top 6 winger without becoming considerably weaker at another position. at this point in time our top six will be:

Gaudreau- Monahan- Frolik or Brouwer
Bennett or Backlund- Bennett or Backlund- Brouwer or Frolik

I see no problem with this. We need to build through the capacity of running four solid lines not try and be top heavy. If we acquire another forward who is payed top 6 money we wont have the budget to pay a goalie, which isnt a good thing either. At this time our best bet is to wait for one of Tkachuk, Shinkaruk, or Porier to turn into a top 6 winger. We cant afford totrade anything of value at this point. POur roster is set for years, we just need patience and we will contend.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Need a LW to fill out top six. Guys i would love:

High price:
Landeskog
Hoffman

Medium:
Kreider,
Palat,
Lee,

What do we give up to solidify the top six? Backlund +, or Gio? :confused:.

Brodie for Landeskog makes so much sense, but both teams would be too gun-shy to do it.
Gio for Landeskog is intriguing. Not saying i would do it, but hes 10 years older than Landeskog.
Backlund plus D prospect for Krieder.

Also have a ton of guys ready in the wings ( klimchuk, poirer, andersson etc.) but most of those guys will demand a roster player +

Currently the Avs need wingers more than they do Dmen. While they do need a high end Dman they have prospects on the way to eventually fill it, they dont have any solution for their lack of wingers.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Currently the Avs need wingers more than they do Dmen. While they do need a high end Dman they have prospects on the way to eventually fill it, they dont have any solution for their lack of wingers.

Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Greer, Morrison, Nantel, Beaudin?

Jost has 1st line upside, and the rest of those have differing levels of second line upside.

The top 4 there is pretty damn strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Jost has 1st line upside, and the rest of those have differing levels of second line upside.

We should be happy if 3 of those guys listed stick in the top-6 long-term. Now unfortunately, you're both right in that wing and D are our top needs.

I'd go for Landeskog for Hamilton (not that CGY fans would necessarily) under the assumption that Barrie would then get flipped for a top-6 forward. That just boils down to me preferring Hamilton over Barrie and Landeskog being the sacrifice needed to make that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
A major issue is the refusal by Sens fans to acknowledge that Hoffman will be 27 by the time the season starts and he has only 1 more year of RFA status left. I have yet to see a Sens proposal involving Hoffman that doesn't target a younger and equally (or better) offensive player. You're going to have to give up current production for youth and contract, if you want younger.

That much is obvious, but it doesn't mean we have to take unproven prospects back either. I just don't see a young, NHL ready player that the Senators would be interested in as part of a package for Hoffman. There are (almost) assuredly be another team willing to give up a better centerpiece than a guy like Shinkaruk or Klimchuk.

I mean, the Flames would be crazy to give up Monahan, Gaudreau or Bennett for Hoffman, but the Sens would be crazy to give him up for anything else the Flames have. It's just a really bad fit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Need a LW to fill out top six. Guys i would love:

Medium:

Lee,

Also have a ton of guys ready in the wings ( klimchuk, poirer, andersson etc.) but most of those guys will demand a roster player +

Anders Lees goals drop from 25 in his rookie season to 14 in his sophomore season.
Isles really missed his presence in front of the net, when he was out during the playoffs.

Considering his trade value's taken a hit and how missed he was, I cannot see the isles looking to move him.
Especially for prospects. Isles have their own prospects knocking on the door.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Jost, Nantel and Compher are all centers, all others 2 years out at minimum if they make it at all. Even with Rantanen and Gabe on wing they have no other top 6 wingers on their roster or a replacement that will be ready anytime soon.

Not wise to put so much faith in prospect. Nor does it change what I said.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We should be happy if 3 of those guys listed stick in the top-6 long-term. Now unfortunately, you're both right in that wing and D are our top needs.

I'd go for Landeskog for Hamilton (not that CGY fans would necessarily) under the assumption that Barrie would then get flipped for a top-6 forward. That just boils down to me preferring Hamilton over Barrie and Landeskog being the sacrifice needed to make that happen.

I like Hamilton but the Avs give up the better player. Trading away a top ten LW for a top 4 dman is questionable and would set them back.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

No freaking way.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Straight up is fair value.

Not a chance in hell the Avs would add to Landeskog for Brodie. We wouldn't even do it straight up.

U might not want to trade landy because hes your captain and such, but theres not ways hes worth straight up brodie, hes closer to hamilton

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
U might not want to trade landy because hes your captain and such, but theres not ways hes worth straight up brodie, hes closer to hamilton

The same Hamilton that got traded for a bag of pucks last year?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If the Flames acquire another top 9 forward it will be in a trade for Wideman, the Flames simply do not have the cap space to add salary and are not yet in a position to be moving much in terms of futures just yet. Right now the Flames technically have lots of cap space (just shy of $15 million), but once they sign Gaudreau and Monahan that could be down to a million remaining with a defenseman left to sign.

I am not down on Wideman like most are and think he will bounce back this year but I do believe at this point the only thing we will get for him is an older top 9 winger that also has an undesirable contract. With Wideman having a NMC I do believe that team will at least have to be one he feels is in playoff contention.

The name I keep coming back to is Ales Hemsky. Dallas has lost a few defenders this summer and have the firepower to soften the blow of losing Hemsky. The Stars are a good enough team that I do not see Wideman saying no to a deal and I think Hemsky would be a pretty good fit on a line with Bennett and one of Tkachuk/Shinkaruk.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Frolik - Backlund - Chiasson
I am not a huge fan of Chiasson being here but I think he is the best fit to play with those two out of him, Bouma and Ferland
Tkachuk/Shinkaruk - Bennett - Hemsky
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland
x: Bollig, Vey

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

The OP listed specific players he was targeting for trade. When you do that, expect fans to demand a premium.

We're not shopping Hoffman - you're the ones specifically asking for him. We're not going to agree on a sweet trade for you guys simply because you want him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Zuc, Nash
Brass = W/C
Stepan = C, allows a C to shift to W

Any can be had IMO reasonable, not over market value, IF you pay with the right currency. Not ideal currency, may still be do-able, but the price goes up.

Go Chaka Khan on my ass...
Tell me something good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad