Proposal: LW to CGY (COL, OTT, NYR, TBL, NYI)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This is HFboards guys, dont get all bent out of shape. Its a proposal, for fun, maybe a "trade i would make right now on NHL 16!, but not in real life. Brodie for Landeskog + is fair value (see hall for larsson), doesnt mean its a great idea. Discussion is the fun part.

Last 4 cup winning teams :

Crosby hornquist malkin hagelin kessel kunitz bonino

Toews Kane Hossa Panarin Shaw Anisimov

Kopitar Carter Williams Gaborik Brown Toffoli Pearson Richards(lol)

Toews Kane Hossa Sharp Saad Frolik Shaw Bickell (lol)

Top 6 is important. 3rd line is also very important.

You've pumped up your numbers by including third line players. That being said, do you honestly think all of those guys would be bonafide top 6 players on teams where they aren't being fed points by superstars?

I'm not getting bent out of shape, but I just don't think the Flames should be giving up major assets for a 2nd line LW. I don't disagree that depth and a top 6 are very important. It's just not possible or necessary to have 9 perfect players to fill out your top 9.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hmm, just to throw something out there... Maybe this as a framework?

Bennett, Engelland
For
Hoffman, Borowiecki

How about no.

Hoffman is more proven now sure, but we need Bennett long term at center and will likely be most cost effective for longer, and brings more sandpaper to his game.

Plus I'm hardly Engellands biggest fan, but I watch more than enough Sens games to know we don't want Boro.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Why are we trading Brodie to fill a need on LW with Gaudreau + Frolik/Tkachuk/Shinkaruk?

Our #1 D goes and we get our 2nd best LW when we have plenty of #2 LW's

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is HFboards guys, dont get all bent out of shape. Its a proposal, for fun, maybe a "trade i would make right now on NHL 16!, but not in real life. Brodie for Landeskog + is fair value (see hall for larsson), doesnt mean its a great idea. Discussion is the fun part.

Last 4 cup winning teams :

Crosby hornquist malkin hagelin kessel kunitz bonino

Toews Kane Hossa Panarin Shaw Anisimov

Kopitar Carter Williams Gaborik Brown Toffoli Pearson Richards(lol)

Toews Kane Hossa Sharp Saad Frolik Shaw Bickell (lol)

Top 6 is important. 3rd line is also very important.

Straight up is fair value.

Not a chance in hell the Avs would add to Landeskog for Brodie. We wouldn't even do it straight up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hmm, just to throw something out there... Maybe this as a framework?

Bennett, Engelland
For
Hoffman, Borowiecki

You honestly think Hoffman is bringing back a recent #4 overall?

He's a good player but he's 27 and doesn't fit a rebuilding teams needs. He's also unsigned, and likely to sign for a large amount. You're totally ignoring the cap benefits to an ELC.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

He's a good player but he's 27 and doesn't fit a rebuilding teams needs. He's also unsigned, and likely to sign for a large amount. You're totally ignoring the cap benefits to an ELC.

I assumed that post was a joke

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

No. But I also don't see a heck of a lot else on the Flames that would entice the Senators to move him. This is a team that is trying to make the playoffs, and moving Hoffman for picks and prospects (especially mediocre picks and prospects) just isn't gonna happen.

Totally get why Bennett is a non-starter, but anything less than that is probably a non-starter from a Senators perspective. These teams aren't a particularly great fit when it comes to making a trade.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We need at least two top nine wingers if we want to really be successful this season.

We're are hoping that Shinkurak or Tkachuk can take one of those spots (if not both if we are lucky) otherwise we've got someone like Chiasson or Ferland playing higher than they should be.

I'm more content with us finding a better/cheaper short term option.

They wouldn't give up what we want for Zucc, so no thanks anyways.

Let's give them a chance...
besides, what/who do we want on top of their 1st?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No. But I also don't see a heck of a lot else on the Flames that would entice the Senators to move him. This is a team that is trying to make the playoffs, and moving Hoffman for picks and prospects (especially mediocre picks and prospects) just isn't gonna happen.

Totally get why Bennett is a non-starter, but anything less than that is probably a non-starter from a Senators perspective. These teams aren't a particularly great fit when it comes to making a trade.

Really? The Flames have a solid set of defensive prospects. They also have their first rounder next year. And if you're unable to sign Hoffman and have to move him, you don't have much leverage.

If you can take a look at the Flames roster, prospects, and picks available and decide that the only thing you'd move Hoffman for is a Bennett level return, prepare to be very disappointed.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Really? The Flames have a solid set of defensive prospects. They also have their first rounder next year. And if you're unable to sign Hoffman and have to move him, you don't have much leverage.

If you can take a look at the Flames roster, prospects, and picks available and decide that the only thing you'd move Hoffman for is a Bennett level return, prepare to be very disappointed.

The Sens will be able to sign Hoffman. I doubt this is an issue unless Hoffman wants out (I don't know if a player would file for arbitration if they wanted out).

However, if they were to trade Hoffman, I'd presume that they'd be looking for a young player in return, not necessarily prospects. Where would that leave us with the Flames roster? Well, there's a trio of young forwards that the Sens would be very interested in but which Calgary would not trade. Then, you have a number of very good defensemen, which, unfortunately, the Sens cannot trade for, as they would, ultimately, lose that player or a player such as Ceci to the expansion draft. In short, should the Sens be looking to trade Hoffman, Calgary isn't the best trading partner at this time.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

I didn't ignore the cap, it's why the Boro-Engelland portion was thrown in... though at the time I though that Boro was 1.1x1 and Engelland was 2.9x2 (they're actually 1.1x2 and 2.9x1).

I was picturing... with wrong contracts:
Hoffman (5.0x5 expected)
Borowiecki (1.1x1)
for
Bennett 0.9x1, with a bigger payday coming up next summer
Engelland 2.9x2

Anyways, I was off on the contracts, have no interest in selling you on a deal you don't want and still expect Hoffman to get a long term deal in Ottawa.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

The post you quoted stated the Sens probably wouldn't move Hoffman for picks and prospects and then you list the picks and prospects you have available, see the issue here?

I guess if Hoffman is forcing his way out the Sens would take what they could get, but I'm 99% sure they would target a young, cost controlled top-nine forward over more picks and prospects.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Hoffman + Chabot/White for Monahan?

Sens are trying to complete this year so we would obviously need an upgrade if we are trading Hoffman. This gives us a young 60+ point center with room to improve. We just move Zib to the wing or down to the third line and we are good.

Calgary gets the LW they want and a top prospect which will help them in the future.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Sens are trying to complete this year so we would obviously need an upgrade if we are trading Hoffman. This gives us a young 60+ point center with room to improve. We just move Zib to the wing or down to the third line and we are good.

Calgary gets the LW they want and a top prospect which will help them in the future.

Im a sens fan. And that is brutal for the flames

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

The need a #2 LW....not at the expense of their #1 centre though. And in what universe are mid-round picks top prospects?

In what universe does any team make a similar move? You state you want to compete now, which is an acknowledgment that Calgary is giving up the more valuable offensive piece. We are also giving up the much younger piece.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The post you quoted stated the Sens probably wouldn't move Hoffman for picks and prospects and then you list the picks and prospects you have available, see the issue here?

I guess if Hoffman is forcing his way out the Sens would take what they could get, but I'm 99% sure they would target a young, cost controlled top-nine forward over more picks and prospects.

A major issue is the refusal by Sens fans to acknowledge that Hoffman will be 27 by the time the season starts and he has only 1 more year of RFA status left. I have yet to see a Sens proposal involving Hoffman that doesn't target a younger and equally (or better) offensive player. You're going to have to give up current production for youth and contract, if you want younger.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames need some competition for roster spots and another year of prospect development.

Not many teams have a top 3 D like Calgary. Not many teams have 4 guys upfront in Bennett, Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Monahan as Calgary. We have potential down the board, solid depth is all that's needed and time.

Brouwer and Frolik are perfect 1-2 RWs for now. Backlunds a perfect 3C... I have no issues with Calgary right now. I just think the team needs more competition come preseason and camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad