Proposal: LW to CGY (COL, OTT, NYR, TBL, NYI)

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Brodie is worth more, He's a top 20-25 Dman. Landeskog isn't even a top 50 forward.

Edit - Sorry quoted the wrong person - stuck at airport on phone but my point still stands!!

Lol what a joke...Flames fans completely overrate Brodie.

Giordano is very, very good
Brodie is apparently a top-10 dman in the league (no one that's not a flames fan thinks so by the way)
Hamilton was great to finish the season

How the hell did they manage to miss the playoffs??

Lol gimme break! If Brodie was top 10 in the NHL (all nationalities combined) he'd be in the conversation for the Olympics + World Cup. That's not the case, not even close.

Start with Canada's 6 starters on D, add Subban, Hedman, Letang, OEL, McDonagh, Suter (and those are just the guys off the top of my head) and Brodie is nowhere near the top 10.

Brodie is good but I wouldn't trade Landeskog for him, no way.. He's only 23 and power forwards usually take longer to fully develop.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Edit - Sorry quoted the wrong person - stuck at airport on phone but my point still stands!!

Brodie is apparently a top-10 dman in the league (no one that's not a flames fan thinks so by the way)

Lol gimme break! If Brodie was top 10 in the NHL (all nationalities combined) he'd be in the conversation for the Olympics + World Cup. That's not the case, not even close.

Start with Canada's 6 starters on D, add Subban, Hedman, Letang, OEL, McDonagh, Suter (and those are just the guys off the top of my head) and Brodie is nowhere near the top 10.

Brodie is good but I wouldn't trade Landeskog for him, no way.. He's only 23 and power forwards usually take longer to fully develop.

Pretty simple why the Flames were so bad last year really. Hamilton was crap for the first half of the season. Brodie was injured for the first half of the season. The Flames had the worst goaltending in the league, and possibly in the modern era. Now combine that with a group of soft, extremely, young, and undersized top 6 forwards.

I actually don't care if Brodie is "top 10". That's such a subjective measurement anyways. What is true is that he's developed into a bonafide top pairing defenceman and he just turned 26. And your list that he "nowhere near" is garbage too. When you reach that calibre of defenceman, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Unless you're talking about a Lidstrom calibre defenceman, no one is clearly better.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Gladly.
Sens fans don't want to move him. Other teams fans are the ones trying to get him

I dunno....I see a lot of threads by Sens fans trying to get some top asset back for him.

The issue your going to run into with him is that his value is brought down by:

1) Contract status.
2) Age. It's not that he's old, but at 27, you can't expect teams to give up 21-23 years olds on ELC/RFA contracts and equal value.
3) One dimensionality of play. He's far from a bruiser.
4) Lack of experience and consistency. He really only has 2 full seasons of play, which is not a lot of someone of his age.

Quite frankly, he's a bad fit on the Flames. The Flames need a guy like Stone far more than a guy like Hoffman. Obviously Stone is not up for grabs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
it hamilton only returned a 1st and 2 2nds, then how does Brodie return Landeskog??

Hamilton was sold at low value. That was a steal. If Hamilton were to be resold, the price would be much higher and probably Landeskog. Brodie is better than Hamilton.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The Flames aren't trading their 23 year old, 6'5" 220lb, right hand, mobile, puck moving, 40+ point Dman for a 25 goal/60 point winger.

All else being equal, Dmen >> Centers >> Wingers

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Flames aren't trading their 23 year old, 6'5" 220lb, right hand, mobile, puck moving, 40+ point Dman for a 25 goal/60 point winger.

Neato. We aren't trading our captain for a guy we could have gotten for a handful of picks a year ago.

And you just made that up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
cool same argument could be said for hall.

Sure....Not sure how either relates to this discussion. None of the Flames players being discussed right now are being sold at low points.

As for the Hall trade, what it does show is that defencemen are highly valued right now.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Sure....Not sure how either relates to this discussion. None of the Flames players being discussed right now are being sold at low points.

As for the Hall trade, what it does show is that defencemen are highly valued right now.

if you're not sure how it relates to the discussion maybe you should read who i was quoting. cause i can guarantee landeskog sure a **** isn't being sold for low.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Were you not going to bother to add Gabe's, age, height weight, skating ability and handedness because you wanted to make him feel less valuable or because you just didn't feel like looking it up.

I'm not saying the trade would make sense or that I would be for it or not but usually when you compare players you use the same criteria

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I quite frankly don't care about top 10 whatever either, as again, its subjective and highly opinion based.

But as for the bolded, he was. Multiple sports sites, including TSN talked about him as an option, if albeit as a dark horse on some sites.

As much as some of my fellow flames fans will talk someone's ear off about how amazing Brodie is and that leads to an overrated perspective, he is a legit top pairing defenseman on a great deal. As a Flames fan we need that more than we need Landeskog, and I LOVE Gabe. I wanted to draft him back before he skyrocketed up to a top 3 pick in the predraft mocks.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

The Hall trade shows that Edmonton was desperate for defense and were willing to overpay to try to improve their blueline. I don't think it's indicative of the market as a whole.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would do Hamilton for Landeskog all day, I'd even throw in Poirier.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I quite frankly don't care about top 10 whatever either, as again, its subjective and highly opinion based.

But as for the bolded, he was. Multiple sports sites, including TSN talked about him as an option, if albeit as a dark horse on some sites.

As much as some of my fellow flames fans will talk someone's ear off about how amazing Brodie is and that leads to an overrated perspective, he is a legit top pairing defenseman on a great deal. As a Flames fan we need that more than we need Landeskog, and I LOVE Gabe. I wanted to draft him back before he skyrocketed up to a top 3 pick in the predraft mocks.

And, similarly, the Avs need Landeskog more than they need Brodie. The Avs currently have 1 proven top 6 winger. Guys like Colborne, Grigorenko, Rantanen, Greer, etc. might eventually fill in the remaining slots, but Landeskog is the only one right now.

On D, we have EJ and Barrie on the right side (for at least the next couple years, barring a trade), so Brodie isn't really a need right now.

Childish Gamsteeno

Jun 24, 2015
Canada
Neutral fan saying it's ridiculous to think Brodie isn't in the top 20 guys in the league. I get how important Landeskog is to the Avs but Brodie is absolutely worth more than him. Also, if you think you're getting Palat for less than a "high price", best of luck

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the Flames acquire another top 9 forward it will be in a trade for Wideman, the Flames simply do not have the cap space to add salary and are not yet in a position to be moving much in terms of futures just yet. Right now the Flames technically have lots of cap space (just shy of $15 million), but once they sign Gaudreau and Monahan that could be down to a million remaining with a defenseman left to sign.

I am not down on Wideman like most are and think he will bounce back this year but I do believe at this point the only thing we will get for him is an older top 9 winger that also has an undesirable contract. With Wideman having a NMC I do believe that team will at least have to be one he feels is in playoff contention.

The name I keep coming back to is Ales Hemsky. Dallas has lost a few defenders this summer and have the firepower to soften the blow of losing Hemsky. The Stars are a good enough team that I do not see Wideman saying no to a deal and I think Hemsky would be a pretty good fit on a line with Bennett and one of Tkachuk/Shinkaruk.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Frolik - Backlund - Chiasson
I am not a huge fan of Chiasson being here but I think he is the best fit to play with those two out of him, Bouma and Ferland
Tkachuk/Shinkaruk - Bennett - Hemsky
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland
x: Bollig, Vey

Frolik and Backlund will love having a black hole on their right wing

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

Brodie is apparently a top-10 dman in the league (no one that's not a flames fan thinks so by the way
Brodie was voted 11th this off-season. Sure, small sample size but there's a large portion of non-Flame fans who see him as a top defender.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2049937&highlight=brodie

it hamilton only returned a 1st and 2 2nds, then how does Brodie return Landeskog??

Brodie is substantially better than Hamilton.

Hamilton was an RFA seeking by all accounts a massive contract from Boston to stay and was offersheet eligible.

Brodie is signed long-term to one of the best contracts in the league.

Brodie gets Landeskog++

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I don't know why I feel the need to wade in everytime someone makes this poor argument, but...

GOALTENDING IS IMPORTANT.
DEPTH IS IMPORTANT.
THE FLAMES DIDN'T HAVE EITHER.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Frolik and Backlund will love having a black hole on their right wing
Solid contribution. Funny thing is certain players perform better in certain systems. I am not sure that he will do any better in Calgary but the guy has only been in the NHL for 3 years and IMO really only had the one bad year. The drop off from Dallas to Ottawa can be contributed to PP time, he had a decent amount in Dallas and next to none in Ottawa and his PPP back this up. With that line being a shutdown line first and foremost, I would be fine if he returned to 11 goals and 26 points. IF he doesn't we try Ferland or Bouma or someone else and put Chiasson on the 4th line. My hope is troy Brouwer acts as a mentor for Chiasson, Ferland and Hathaway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->