LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I've said it before, this kid was the best player at WJC, also in Liiga. He will be special no doubt. I still wonder why people think he is overhyped? There hasn't been a post of him for two months

Most of the hockey "gurus" around here don't really watch hockey. So they likely wouldn't have noticed his WJC performance. Aho even went under my radar up until WJC last year as well. After seeing one period of him I knew he was special and was actually able to pick him up in my dynasty leagues.

They also are unlikely to understand and gauge Liiga stats or other European leagues. So unless a spec is playing for a NA league they will be off the radar to most fans here.

One other tough thing is that it can be hard to find decent video on European prospects. Even when you do find film it's obviously not in English. We are mostly a one language deal over on this side of the pond.

And then there will be another factor that could keep Aho off the radar. Unless he jumps in the NHL and absolutely dominates the stat sheet, nobody will hardly notice him because he plays for the Hurricanes. That and again, people don't tend to really watch hockey around here. They prefer just stat watching.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Or there's the fact that time and time again players are hyped to hell while playing on European sized rinks (aka, every game Aho played in this year), then come to the NHL and look like they need to re-learn the game again without the extra time and space. And being undersized just adds to the impact a difference like that can make.

It's completely justified to remain cautious about projecting guys like Aho. It's hard to be confident in a player like that until you see them up against NHLers on NHL ice. (I'm saying this in relation to his ceiling projection. I don't doubt he'll carve out a respectable NHL career as a middle 6 forward at least)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Or there's the fact that time and time again players are hyped to hell while playing on European sized rinks (aka, every game Aho played in this year), then come to the NHL and look like they need to re-learn the game again without the extra time and space. And being undersized just adds to the impact a difference like that can make.

It's completely justified to remain cautious about projecting guys like Aho. It's hard to be confident in a player like that until you see them up against NHLers on NHL ice. (I'm saying this in relation to his ceiling projection. I don't doubt he'll carve out a respectable NHL career as a middle 6 forward at least)

Aho is hyped like hell even though no ones been talking about him for months?
Franchise player isn't the expectation for Aho right now.

Barkov, Rantanen, Pasta, Nylander have looked pretty good in NA ice wouldn't you say?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
"Aho doesn't play against other elite talent"
- Aho proceeds to dominate the WJC filled with the best prospect talent in the world
"Aho only played well due to linemates"
- Aho proceeds to place 2nd in FEl MVP voting
"Well Aho hasn't proven anything against NHLers"
- Aho proceeds to dominate against NHL Star-calibre teams at the World Championships
"But, but, but... Rink size..."

Sometimes a star is just a star. I'd suggest his detractors actually watch him (for once) as he plays for Finland in the World Cup. His ability is hard to miss once you put eyes on him.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

Theres a lot of players that are hyped and don't pan out. About 12-15 players per draft become of any real significance in the NHL. Over 93% of all players drafted don't become a top six F or top 4 D.

So I think your stretching very far to somehow target and classify European players this way.

So why should Aho be any less hyped or acknowledged than all these other prospects who are just as likely to bust? I don't know what ones those are right now, but if you wrote down all the specs on the first two pages of of this forum section and we looked at it in five years. How many do you think will be busts? What percent of them will be NA specs to European specs?

So in reality, what your saying is... Because other Euro or Fin prospects have failed to transition to either NA ice or the NHL that we shouldn't waist our time having expectations for a player of Ahos caliber? I think Aho has much less hype and discussion about him then a LOT of prospects who have shown less than he has.

Completely unjustified and very wrong thought process you had here.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Eh, the same can be said for NA prospects playing in juniors. Many of them struggle making the transition from playing against boys to playing against men, whereas most EU prospects have played against men for multiple seasons already. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

First of all, Aho is very underhyped considering how good he is.

Second, Panarin had no NA rink experience either. Of course, you will just completely ignore the samples that go against your argument, right?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
IS had an article on Sebastian Aho's summer training. Some things.

Sebastian Aho has spent his summer training, as he needs to increase his muscle mass. He says that he's been training around 8 times a week throughout the summer. The program has been designed by Samppa Jaakola. There have been a couple of training days that have lasted for 6 hours(Gym training -> 90min ice time in the morning and aerobic training -> upper body in the evening was an example brought up).

According to his trainer, he's improved the most at power levels and muscle endurance / tenacity. A lot of focus has been put towards preparing for the overall speed of NHL. Sebastian Aho says that they have tried to improve his skating power. They've been focusing on the legs at the gym and by hopping and have also concentrated on improving his core to improve his strength for 1v1 and puck battles.

Then there was some stuff about him having a really strong focus and strong character. He's wanted to train hard so that he'd be in good enough of a condition. He states that playing in NHL has been a dream and a clear goal of his for a long time. Apparently, he's also been taking in a ton of information from Finnish NHL players, especially Jussi Jokinen.

It's good to have some updates regarding Sebastian Aho as I hadn't heard anything about him all summer long.
This is great to hear. Nice to have him trying his hardest to get better. Thanks for the update

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
In Liiga he was able to avoid body checks. My biggest concern is how he is able to do it in a smaller rink. So it might take a while for him to adjust but a player with his smarts will eventually blossom

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think Aho has a chance to become as good as Zetterberg and that's some serious praise. They are both very cerebral players and essentially of the same size when you compare a 19 year old Z to 19 year old Aho. Their skill sets are pretty similar as well, both are great with the puck, primarily playmakers, can play both C and wing, great two-way players. Obviously everything has to go right for Aho to reach Zetterberg's level, but I don't think that it's an entirely implausible scenario either.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
In Liiga he was able to avoid body checks. My biggest concern is how he is able to do it in a smaller rink. So it might take a while for him to adjust but a player with his smarts will eventually blossom

I think he can avoid clean hits just fine. Problem is dirty hits against his knees or head. Not sure if he is ready to face players who want to end his season.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I've said it before, this kid was the best player at WJC, also in Liiga. He will be special no doubt. I still wonder why people think he is overhyped? There hasn't been a post of him for two months

I've watched him and I think he's a great player and it's tempting to say he will succeed in the NHL. But we've seen this story before with Finnish prospects. Especially Mikael Granlund and Teravainen recently who were extremely hyped and so far have turned out a lot worse than expected. Once bitten twice shy.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I've watched him and I think he's a great player and it's tempting to say he will succeed in the NHL. But we've seen this story before with Finnish prospects. Especially Mikael Granlund and Teravainen recently who were extremely hyped and so far have turned out a lot worse than expected. Once bitten twice shy.

MG and TT were very much hyped, but Aho leaves Finland as a way better overall player than those two. TT and MG only relied on their skill, but Aho has it all except the physical game.

It's not fair to compare a whole lot different players, even if they're from the same country.

People call Aho overrated, but he's actually underrated. And this upcoming season you'll see why. Too bad he'll probably never get the right recognition playing in Carolina, but that's that.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
MG and TT were very much hyped, but Aho leaves Finland as a way better overall player than those two. TT and MG only relied on their skill, but Aho has it all except the physical game.

It's not fair to compare a whole lot different players, even if they're from the same country.

People call Aho overrated, but he's actually underrated. And this upcoming season you'll see why. Too bad he'll probably never get the right recognition playing in Carolina, but that's that.

Mikael Granlund relied on his smarts and slowed the game down all the time while he played in europe. That game is brutal for NHL with really high pace, limited room and time to create offense. Teuvo played bit similar game but relied more on his hockeyIQ and bit more on the perimeter. Sebastian Aho plays the game in high tempo and pace. Most of his offense is off the rush and his lower body strength seem to be extremely good for player of his stature and age. He can shield the puck even against NHLers like we saw in WC's where he was most dangerous player for team Finland in SF and Finals. That is most underrated part of his game. People only watch his eliteprospect profile measurements and see him being lightweight player but he seems to be damn strong on his skates.

When i watch Aho i think he could be Zetterberg lite in the future. 55 to 80 point player with excellent two-way game and can play every situation. But has long way to reach that level. I like him more than Mikko Rantanen for example.He seems to be really high touted in Carolina staff and they have penciled him into lineup for next season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Both Teräväinen and Granlund were not even close to as good as Sebastian Aho. As for hype, Aho is severely underrated for how good he is, actually. Granlund on the other hand was massively overhyped. I don't think Teräväinen was nearly as hyped as Granlund. Personally, I didn't consider Granlund or Teräväinen to be all that good when they were hyped, I do consider Sebastian Aho much better in practically every way. He's extremely multi-dimensional and all-around.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Yea that's why I'm passive about hyping him up. I'll have you know though, Aho is a tier above those two in hockey IQ

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't understand the whole "Teravainen turned out much worse than expected" mantra.

1) He was being hyped, to some extent but not overly, before the draft and was drafted #18 in the first round.
2) He's only 21 without a fully developed body and has only played 1 FULL season in the NHL where:
- He put up 35 points
- He was #8 forward on his team in PP TOI/GP
- He was #7 forward on his team in ES TOI/GP
- His most common linemates were Desjardins and Danault
- He started in the O-zone only 43% of the time and faced above average competiton.
- He was a positive possession player.
- He played multiple roles/positions (from what I read).

First off, what did people expect he'd do in his first full season and second, are we really now judging how a player turned out after 1 full NHL season where he played 3rd line minutes and he's only 21?

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't understand the whole "Teravainen turned out much worse than expected" mantra.

1) He was being hyped, to some extent but not overly, before the draft and was drafted #18 in the first round.
2) He's only 21 without a fully developed body and has only played 1 FULL season in the NHL where:
- He put up 35 points
- He was #8 forward on his team in PP TOI/GP
- He was #7 forward on his team in ES TOI/GP
- His most common linemates were Desjardins and Danault
- He started in the O-zone only 43% of the time and faced above average competiton.
- He was a positive possession player.
- He played multiple roles/positions (from what I read).

Are we really now judging how a player turned out after 1 full NHL season where he played 3rd line minutes and he's only 21?

Yep, even Hawks admitted that TT had the toughest role last year, he was played all over the lineup, mostly with 4th liners which for player like TT is a nightmare.

His 2way game was developing nicely, he got minutes on the penalty kill, but he's a skill/high IQ player and needs to play with skill players, players who can keep up with his thinking.
You saw it in Chicago that his linemates were never ready for his passes.

If he adds strenght I still think he has #1Rw potential(low end)/top6 potential.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yep, even Hawks admitted that TT had the toughest role last year, he was played all over the lineup, mostly with 4th liners which for player like TT is a nightmare.

His 2way game was developing nicely, he got minutes on the penalty kill, but he's a skill/high IQ player and needs to play with skill players, players who can keep up with his thinking.
You saw it in Chicago that his linemates were never ready for his passes.

If he adds strenght I still think he has #1Rw potential(low end)/top6 potential.

Some early indication in Carolina is that Peters wants to try a line of Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen and if that's the case, he'll be playhing with some higher skill/IQ players. Thing is, one of those guys will have to be more selfish and shoot the puck and I think both Lindholm and Aho are capable of that.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's going to be interesting to see whether Aho can finally kill this myth about small Finnish forwards with unimpressive landings in the NHL. Meanwhile, neither Teräväinen nor Granlund are nowhere close to being done (of becoming what they can become). Also I think the Canes will provide a positive change of atmosphere for TT. While having the occasional luxury of playing with some of the best players in the Hawks, he was often used in the off-wing and if not, then getting little ice time. That atleast for what I've gathered from reading the Hawks section (feel free to correct if wrong).

Aho has the edge over the two no doubt about it. If I had to place them in order now it would be Aho, Teräväinen and Granlund holding the last spot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Some early indication in Carolina is that Peters wants to try a line of Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen and if that's the case, he'll be playhing with some higher skill/IQ players. Thing is, one of those guys will have to be more selfish and shoot the puck and I think both Lindholm and Aho are capable of that.

I was thinking the same when I read he wants Euro line, well who's going to shoot the puck :laugh:
But I want to see it and it has the potential to develop into strong 2way line.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I was thinking the same when I read he wants Euro line, well who's going to shoot the puck :laugh:
But I want to see it and it has the potential to develop into strong 2way line.

Maybe just send it back to Faulk from the blue-line and let him bomb away. :laugh:

Lindholm has actually shown he has a pretty good shot and needs to use it more. Maybe this line will allow him to do that. I think when he previously was on more veteran lines, with guys like Staal and Verteeg, he deferred to them more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino