LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Aho has excellent IQ, vision and he is strong on the puck for his size. He also doesn't require much time or space at all. He's certainly more of a playmaking winger, but does have a functioning shot as well. He also is good defensively.

I have to say that if I compare Aho to Granlund when they both were the same age, I'm significantly more impressed with Aho and think that his potential is higher. I also think that his game should translate better to NHL.

To me he's definitely high end top 6, even top 3 material.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Aho has excellent IQ, vision and he is strong on the puck for his size. He also doesn't require much time or space at all. He's certainly more of a playmaking winger, but does have a functioning shot as well. He also is good defensively.

I have to say that if I compare Aho to Granlund when they both were the same age, I'm significantly more impressed with Aho and think that his potential is higher. I also think that his game should translate better to NHL.

To me he's definitely high end top 6, even top 3 material.
In Carolina he's top 3 if he continues developing as he has already
Anywhere else he's top 6

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
In Carolina he's top 3 if he continues developing as he has already
Anywhere else he's top 6

Yes... Anywhere else. In New Jersey he's a career 2nd liner, but only if he keeps up his outrageous development. These are facts backed by hard data and not something I just pulled out of my butt.

What I am trying to say is that Carolina is bad with no contribution to the actual Aho discussion. That flies here right?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes... Anywhere else. In New Jersey he's a career 2nd liner, but only if he keeps up his outrageous development. These are facts backed by hard data and not something I just pulled out of my butt.

What I am trying to say is that Carolina is bad with no contribution to the actual Aho discussion. That flies here right?

So please present your hard data. Otherwise you just pulled it out of your butt...

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
So please present your hard data. Otherwise you just pulled it out of your butt...

He's not the one making a unsubstantiated claim. I believe he was being sarcastic in light of your claim that Aho is a top liner in Carolina but anywhere else a 2nd liner.

Aho looks like a great prospect but penciling him in any line for any team at this point is premature. This is pretty obvious so it appears to him that your statement is only a personal opinion of the line strength at Carolina vs other teams and less about the prospect. His data set is 1 and that data is your post.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He's not the one making a unsubstantiated claim. I believe he was being sarcastic in light of your claim that Aho is a top liner in Carolina but anywhere else a 2nd liner.

Aho looks like a great prospect but penciling him in any line for any team at this point is premature. This is pretty obvious so it appears to him that your statement is only a personal opinion of the line strength at Carolina vs other teams and less about the prospect. His data set is 1 and that data is your post.

Very well read by you. Oh, but you didn't really even realize that I wasn't the one who made that claim. Maybe not so well read after all...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Never claimed to be well read. Just correcting your mistake.

You didn't correct anything. :D And I didn't make a mistake. My only comment was for that sarcastic guy to present the hard data that he was advertising.

I didn't claim anything, so please quit pointing anything towards me. It was the nick "JustaFinnishGuy" who made the claim. I didn't. I just don't ever like it that someone says about them having hard data on something, and then not presenting it in any kind of way. Please don't post here, if you don't bother to check who is the one who claimed something, and you start making it a claim of someone elses...

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
What he is doing now is insane for a Draft + 1 season. It gets even more impressive when you consider he was one of the youngest players in the Draft. Aho is less than two months older than Auston Matthews.

Canes fans greatly appreciate the updates from Karpat/FEL fans. Thank you and please keep them coming.

look what you started :laugh:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
look what you started :laugh:

This is like the second time this week time my sarcasm has grown legs and started burning down villages.

I'm sorry guys... I was being sarcastic because the original quote was nothing more than a potshot at the Canes. My humor is dry and prickly. It's a character flaw.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I finally caught what I did. Sorry I just assumed we had one Finnish poster and he posts non stop. My apologies for assuming it was your post. I won't edit my post(s) but just know that in any case where I said "your claim" you can change it for "that other Finnish guy." Regardless his "data" is irrelevant which was the point.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You didn't correct anything. :D And I didn't make a mistake. My only comment was for that sarcastic guy to present the hard data that he was advertising.

I didn't claim anything, so please quit pointing anything towards me. It was the nick "JustaFinnishGuy" who made the claim. I didn't. I just don't ever like it that someone says about them having hard data on something, and then not presenting it in any kind of way. Please don't post here, if you don't bother to check who is the one who claimed something, and you start making it a claim of someone elses...

Please. :shakehead He made a mistake mistaking 1 poster for another. Not the first time or last time that will happen. On the flipside, it was clear pretty clear to most of us that LSP was being sarcastic and you missed that, thus that was your mistake.

The point being that projecting Aho to be top 6 on 29 teams and top 3 on 1 team (JustaFinnishGuy's claim) is silly, particularly since we won't know what rosters look like when Aho finishes developing and don't know how well he'll continue to develop.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Please. :shakehead He made a mistake mistaking 1 poster for another. Not the first time or last time that will happen. On the flipside, it was clear pretty clear to most of us that LSP was being sarcastic and you missed that, thus that was your mistake.

The point being that projecting Aho to be top 6 on 29 teams and top 3 on 1 team (JustaFinnishGuy's claim) is silly, particularly since we won't know what rosters look like when Aho finishes developing and don't know how well he'll continue to develop.
I'm saying that right now just because of Aho is going to Carolina. I actually completely forgot what New Jersey was like so I decided to keep him at top 3 in 1 team. There are many teams in the league which top 3 forwards can't crack the top 3 in stacked teams. Now, of course, the count is larger than 1 (Carolina for Aho to crack into top 3) but right now I cant see a more easily climbable place for him. Carolina and New Jersey are both places where a newcomer draft pick when they get it on they get a top 3 spot for a lifetime.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm saying that right now just because of Aho is going to Carolina. I actually completely forgot what New Jersey was like so I decided to keep him at top 3 in 1 team. There are many teams in the league which top 3 forwards can't crack the top 3 in stacked teams. Now, of course, the count is larger than 1 (Carolina for Aho to crack into top 3) but right now I cant see a more easily climbable place for him. Carolina and New Jersey are both places where a newcomer draft pick when they get it on they get a top 3 spot for a lifetime.

Ok, maybe it's language / translation, but what you said is:

In Carolina he's top 3 if he continues developing as he has already. Anywhere else he's top 6

By saying "if he continues developing", it implies (to me) that you are talking about longer term, not right now. Even so, I'm not sure I'd agree with you. 1) we don't even know what Carolina's roster is going to look like come opening day after trades / Free agent signings. 2) It's a stretch to say Aho would be top 3 on ANY NHL team right now. Need to see how well his game translates to the NHL. 3) The Canes under Francis and Peters look to put young players in a spot to succeed, and unless Aho absolutely dominates early, I'd guess they put him in a lesser role to start and ease him along.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about Aho as a Canes fan, but want to temper my expectations.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Ok, maybe it's language / translation, but what you said is:

By saying "if he continues developing", it implies (to me) that you are talking about longer term, not right now. Even so, I'm not sure I'd agree with you. 1) we don't even know what Carolina's roster is going to look like come opening day after trades / Free agent signings. 2) It's a stretch to say Aho would be top 3 on ANY NHL team right now. Need to see how well his game translates to the NHL. 3) The Canes under Francis and Peters look to put young players in a spot to succeed, and unless Aho absolutely dominates early, I'd guess they put him in a lesser role to start and ease him along.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about Aho as a Canes fan, but want to temper my expectations.
I thought i never said ''right now''?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I can certainly see Aho in a top 6 or even top 3 role this season. But him having a top 3 role in Carolina doesn't mean he's a top 3 player, if that makes sense.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yeah, I can certainly see Aho in a top 6 or even top 3 role this season. But him having a top 3 role in Carolina doesn't mean he's a top 3 player, if that makes sense.
My point precisely
Top 6 seems to be a reasonable role, top 3 is very far fetched imo
Also top 9 isn't out of the question and the most probable
I think he'll end the season as a top 6 fwd

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I thought i never said ''right now''?

I'm not following you as you just said you were saying it "right now" 2 posts up? Maybe it's just we aren't understanding the wording each of us is using.

I'll just try to state my opinion rather than try to follow multiple posts.

I think it's too early to say Aho will be top 3 "right now" (as in this coming season) on ANY NHL team, even Carolina or NJ, as we don't even know what Carolina's roster will look like come opening day and we don't know how Aho will fair in the NHL or how the Canes plan to bring him along.

If we are trying to project him a few years down the road, then it's silly to say he would only be top 3 in Carolina, as we have no idea how many of the teams will look 3-4 years from now.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm not following you as you just said you were saying it "right now" 2 posts up? Maybe it's just we aren't understanding the wording each of us is using.

I'll just try to state my opinion rather than try to follow multiple posts.

I think it's too early to say Aho will be top 3 "right now" (as in this coming season) on ANY NHL team, even Carolina or NJ, as we don't even know what Carolina's roster will look like come opening day and we don't know how Aho will fair in the NHL or how the Canes plan to bring him along.

If we are trying to project him a few years down the road, then it's silly to say he would only be top 3 in Carolina, as we have no idea how many of the teams will look 3-4 years from now.
I meant that right now because he's a Carolina prospect we won't ever know how he would have developed in other teams but it's very likely that he will be at least top 6 at 20. I'd bet on it.
Sorry for being conspicuous.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I can certainly see Aho in a top 6 or even top 3 role this season.

While it's possible he could be in a top 3 role in Carolina, I'm not sure it's very likely. Like I said in another post, we don't even know who Carolina will sign/trade for this off season. Even with Aho, they need to sign/trade for 5-6 more forwards before the season starts so we don't even know what the roster will look like.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Aho to be that good that even on a team with weak forwards (which Carolina has), he's in the top 3 / top 6.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I meant that right now because he's a Carolina prospect we won't ever know how he would have developed in other teams but it's very likely that he will be at least top 6 at 20. I'd bet on it.
Sorry for being conspicuous.

Ah..I understand what you are saying. Thanks for clarifying it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
While it's possible he could be in a top 3 role in Carolina, I'm not sure it's very likely. Like I said in another post, we don't even know who Carolina will sign/trade for this off season. Even with Aho, they need to sign/trade for 5-6 more forwards before the season starts so we don't even know what the roster will look like.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Aho to be that good that even on a team with weak forwards (which Carolina has), he's in the top 3 / top 6.

Yes, perhaps that's correct. I still don't expect them to sign tons of free agents as for a rebuild team, finishing high is a negative. If you're not a contender, your team should be as bad as possible, if that makes sense.

I'd expect players like Aho to begin on the third line but I wouldn't be surprised if he swiftly made his way up the lineup. I have much more confidence in him than I had on Granlund. I always felt like Granlund's game wouldn't be so well suited for the small rink, I don't feel that way at all for Aho.

Still, Granlund isn't a -bad- outcome by any means, but I think that Aho has the potential to be something more. Aho actually was a prominent PKer in his team and he's very solid defensively, something Granlund has never been good at.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, perhaps that's correct. I still don't expect them to sign tons of free agents as for a rebuild team, finishing high is a negative. If you're not a contender, your team should be as bad as possible, if that makes sense.

Tanking won't happen with Carolina. They were only 4 points out of the playoffs at the deadline last year before trading guys away and want to compete asap, not go through a long, drawn out rebuild. Plus, they have to get 5-6 more forwards one way or another (trade or UFA) and have to take on $15M+ to get to the cap floor, so it's inevitable that they sign / trade for some guys.

I'd expect players like Aho to begin on the third line but I wouldn't be surprised if he swiftly made his way up the lineup

That's what I'd expect as well, although the Canes "may" not have a true 1, 2, 3 line (depends who they acquire). Jordan Staal will likely be the "shutdown" 2nd line with Nordstrom and Nestrasil again but other than that, it's anybody's guess.

I'd love to see Aho with Lindholm and Skinner on a 3rd "scoring" line (or maybe Skinner and Rask).

EDIT: figured I'd put this here as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia