LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Please. :shakehead He made a mistake mistaking 1 poster for another. Not the first time or last time that will happen. On the flipside, it was clear pretty clear to most of us that LSP was being sarcastic and you missed that, thus that was your mistake.

The point being that projecting Aho to be top 6 on 29 teams and top 3 on 1 team (JustaFinnishGuy's claim) is silly, particularly since we won't know what rosters look like when Aho finishes developing and don't know how well he'll continue to develop.

Yes, I admit that I didn't take it as sarcasm, although I did first read it and think that maybe it was sarcasm. But to me it was so strangely put and with especially the specific comment on the hard data, it sounded not really fitting as sarcasm. To me a bit too much details for good sarcasm. But ok, my bad with that.

Still, I was always taught that you should not carelessly blame whomever for something that someone else really did. I never took this kind of thing well, and probably never will. It irritated me the most, because I already once corrected the guy for putting the blame on me, and what he does? He still continues the same. That's what really got on my nerves. But ok, he realized his mistake, I realized my mistake with the sarcasm, and now everybody is calm. :laugh:

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is like the second time this week time my sarcasm has grown legs and started burning down villages.

I'm sorry guys... I was being sarcastic because the original quote was nothing more than a potshot at the Canes. My humor is dry and prickly. It's a character flaw.

It's quite alright... other people have character flaws too.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think he gets 3rd line minutes at the start. Our "3rd" line though hasn't been typical 3rd line roll.

I'd like a Aho-Lindholm-??? Line with vet presence to get Lindy in a center role.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think he gets 3rd line minutes at the start. Our "3rd" line though hasn't been typical 3rd line roll.

I'd like a Aho-Lindholm-??? Line with vet presence to get Lindy in a center role.

Or even Aho could be, at least occasionally, tried in a center role. He does have some talent for playing there too. Although he will need to practice faceoffs still quite a lot. They were somehow his weakness when he played in FEL.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
3rd line + PP(2) is the one and only role he should be considered at to start with, IMO. Rotate him with the other borderline roster players until he gets his feet wet, I'm thinking it shouldn't take long seeing how well he has played against adult competition all season. Being a healthy scratch wouldn't be a problem since that would indicate his training workload is bigger, it'll take a season or two to get his physical level up there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
3rd line + PP(2) is the one and only role he should be considered at to start with, IMO. Rotate him with the other borderline roster players until he gets his feet wet, I'm thinking it shouldn't take long seeing how well he has played against adult competition all season. Being a healthy scratch wouldn't be a problem since that would indicate his training workload is bigger, it'll take a season or two to get his physical level up there.

Here's what Peters had to say:

“I’d be shocked if he comes in and can’t make our hockey team from what I’ve seen of him,†Peters said. “I don’t think there’s pressure on him. We’ll bring him in, and if he makes our team – which we’d like to see happen – we’ll make sure we use him properly, surround him with good people and give him all the support he needs.â€

Like they did with Hanifin last year, I suspect they'll bring him along slowly.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Our new management will give him what he can handle, they handled Hanifin, Slavin, and Pesce really well last season. Slavin ended up playing top minutes, and Pesce was putting in lots of time also when Faulk went down.

I am very excited for Aho here. I'm hoping we grab some more Finns like Kuokkanen this draft.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ah, I was late.

But yes, I was saying that Aho will be returning to Kärpät if they try to send him down to AHL. I don't see why he wouldn't make the team, though. He even is good defensively and can fill a 4th liner's role and is good at PK. He can do everything.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Now that we've added Teravainen to our Finnish invasion:

TT - Saarela - Aho

How would that line roll?

Saarela probably isn't ready for the NHL next season but I'll give a few thoughts.

All of them are able to play both center and wing, but I think Aho is the one who can compensate his smallish stature the best with his terrific hockey IQ, so I'd put him at center. Saarela is definitely a guy with a shoot first mentality with a decent shot, so he gets to enjoy nice feeds all day from the two others. He is also very strong even if he is the shortest guy on the line, that almost reminds me of Crosby. Aho can finish his chances as well as pass the puck, I just love his game as he does all the little things right. Teräväinen's role is to be a playmaker for the two other guys. Hopefully he can gain some strength, and consequently some confidence, so he can be more effective in the NHL. The potential is still there.

That could potentially be a very good line, but I'd imagine NHL coaches would be hesitant to put only "small players" on a line. The Triplets worked so why not the Finnish version? I'd definitely test it out at some point if I was Bill Peters, assuming the guys continue developing as expected.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Saarela probably isn't ready for the NHL next season but I'll give a few thoughts.

All of them are able to play both center and wing, but I think Aho is the one who can compensate his smallish stature the best with his terrific hockey IQ, so I'd put him at center. Saarela is definitely a guy with a shoot first mentality with a decent shot, so he gets to enjoy nice feeds all day from the two others. He is also very strong even if he is the shortest guy on the line, that almost reminds me of Crosby. Aho can finish his chances as well as pass the puck, I just love his game as he does all the little things right. Teräväinen's role is to be a playmaker for the two other guys. Hopefully he can gain some strength, and consequently some confidence, so he can be more effective in the NHL. The potential is still there.

That could potentially be a very good line, but I'd imagine NHL coaches would be hesitant to put only "small players" on a line. The Triplets worked so why not the Finnish version? I'd definitely test it out at some point if I was Bill Peters, assuming the guys continue developing as expected.

They all seem to have a high hockey iq also, I think a 3rd "energy" line that could pick a defense apart would be this line.

Just a fun thought, it's exciting as a Canes fan to finally have a future looking good.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
IS had an article on Sebastian Aho's summer training. Some things.

Sebastian Aho has spent his summer training, as he needs to increase his muscle mass. He says that he's been training around 8 times a week throughout the summer. The program has been designed by Samppa Jaakola. There have been a couple of training days that have lasted for 6 hours(Gym training -> 90min ice time in the morning and aerobic training -> upper body in the evening was an example brought up).

According to his trainer, he's improved the most at power levels and muscle endurance / tenacity. A lot of focus has been put towards preparing for the overall speed of NHL. Sebastian Aho says that they have tried to improve his skating power. They've been focusing on the legs at the gym and by hopping and have also concentrated on improving his core to improve his strength for 1v1 and puck battles.

Then there was some stuff about him having a really strong focus and strong character. He's wanted to train hard so that he'd be in good enough of a condition. He states that playing in NHL has been a dream and a clear goal of his for a long time. Apparently, he's also been taking in a ton of information from Finnish NHL players, especially Jussi Jokinen.

It's good to have some updates regarding Sebastian Aho as I hadn't heard anything about him all summer long.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Aho is very good. He has all the skills required to become a legit top sixer. He is very young though so there is no telling how well or quickly he will translate into the NHL. I know he isn't interested but I think 1 year in the AHL would be perfect for him. Maybe even a half year if he met expectations.

I also think he would play well on Lindholms wing. Lindholm did a very good job at center and I think if Carolina is going to keep progressing they need this kid to become a legit top six C. I think Aho could be a guy to help bring both speed and playmaking ability without lacking the other to help Lindholm reach his potential.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
I've said it before, this kid was the best player at WJC, also in Liiga. He will be special no doubt. I still wonder why people think he is overhyped? There hasn't been a post of him for two months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad