LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If Aho gets it going quickly in Carolina I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the race for Calder trophy.

It will be tough. The Canes play a style of game and have limited offensive talent up front, both of which keeps scoring down. Their top scorer had 51 points last year. Even if Aho does very well, Calder will be primarily about scoring, first and foremost. I think it's likely that guys like Matthews, Nylander, Laine, Connor, etc... are going to be in situations that allow for and promote more offensive output.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It will be tough. The Canes play a style of game and have limited offensive talent up front, both of which keeps scoring down. Their top scorer had 51 points last year. Even if Aho does very well, Calder will be primarily about scoring, first and foremost. I think it's likely that guys like Matthews, Nylander, Laine, Connor, etc... are going to be in situations that allow for and promote more offensive output.

That could be the case. But a case can be made for the opposite result for Aho. Everyone who has watched the Canes last year has remarked on the ability of the team to generate shots, but the inability to convert those shots into goals. So, the system is not limiting offense as much as the talent is limiting scoring. If Aho has the type of skill that translates to higher accuracy than our team average, then he could be primed to be very successful in goal scoring. Now, his assist totals would suffer as the guys around him may not be able to convert, but it is goals more than assists that drive forward Calder consideration.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That could be the case. But a case can be made for the opposite result for Aho. Everyone who has watched the Canes last year has remarked on the ability of the team to generate shots, but the inability to convert those shots into goals. So, the system is not limiting offense as much as the talent is limiting scoring. If Aho has the type of skill that translates to higher accuracy than our team average, then he could be primed to be very successful in goal scoring. Now, his assist totals would suffer as the guys around him may not be able to convert, but it is goals more than assists that drive forward Calder consideration.

I personally think it's some of both (but based on impression, not hard facts). There is NO question that talent limited scoring, but a lot of the shots generated seemed to be more of the "get the puck on net" variety, instead of "shoot because it's a good scoring chance". I think both the talent and system contribute to that.

But you are right, if Aho can help improve the skill level and generate more quality chances, it could go up.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Shot count in general is a pretty useless and outdated indicator of anything. An Ovechkin one timer off a fast pass that started on the other side of the net is nothing like a weak wrister with no previous movement. The other is an extremely high chance of scoring with a high chance of a quality rebound, the other just will never score nor cause a rebound unless the goalie falls asleep.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
I guess it's way too early to tell but any idea if they want him as center or wing in Carolina?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I guess it's way too early to tell but any idea if they want him as center or wing in Carolina?

Peters loves to have two guys on a line that can take the draw, one lefty and one righty. He did that a lot last year. During the summer, he was on a few shows touting the possible line of Aho-Lindholm-TT and talking about how Lindholm and TT would probably alternate centering the line depending upon situations. My guess is that he will quickly see that a better alternating combination at center is Lindholm-Aho of those three.

Other than that, though, I think the organization starts him on the wing to ease his transition to the NHL and the smaller ice.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Kid is gonna be a stud. Whether or not that translates to 1000 points or not, he should be a possession beast and top 6 stalwart his whole career in Carolina. If him and Terevainen hit it off, look out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Aho sort of reminds me of Dvorak as great value picks that deserve to go in the 1st rd.

Both are not flashy, but both are very smart high IQ players that can finish and create plays.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Good game yesterday with some really nice shifts ... Carolina got themselves a really promising prospect here

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Did anyone get a good look on him last night? I was only able to watch couple of shifts. At least in one of the PP shifts Aho was playing like we used to saw him play in Liiga, doing nothing but fast and smart moves with the puck.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Any word if Aho is playing tonight against the Sabres?

EDIT: Looks like he isn't playing tonight, shame.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Curious why he isn't playing preseason games. I think he only played one game so far.

Who knows, maybe they've already decided whether he has a roster spot or not. And he just played in World Cup and doesn't need these warm-up games as much as some others :huh:

Many teams have let WC players get some more rest.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Curious why he isn't playing preseason games. I think he only played one game so far.

They must have adopted the Marjamaki coaching approach of "no need to play Aho in the prelims, he's fit to be dropped in any line any time someone seems to be struggling". :sarcasm:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
They must have adopted the Marjamaki coaching approach of "no need to play Aho in the prelims, he's fit to be dropped in any line any time someone seems to be struggling". :sarcasm:

Haha, it's actually insane how easily Aho adapts. Clear proof of genius hockey IQ

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Any word if Aho is playing tonight against the Sabres?

EDIT: Looks like he isn't playing tonight, shame.

Canes and Sabres have back-to-back exhibitions here at neutral sites, so I thought he was going to get into at least one here. It just happens to be the one that's radio-only today and not the one on NBCSN yesterday for viewing convenience. He'll play on line two tonight: Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ok, so I got to see this kid live for the first time tonight. Yes, I know it's only pre-season, but I made sure to watch him closely, with and without the puck. I was worried that there was too much "hype" for him and thus, had my own expectations tempered, but after watching 1 game, I can see why there was such hype. I don't think he'll be a prolific scorer right off the bat, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how much he does well.

Away from the puck, he anticipates and always seems to be in the right spot. When he gets the puck, he processes the information so quickly and makes the right play (carry the puck, dump it, pass it, pass it back to the D, etc..) in a split second. He's defensively responsible and just a solid player.

Can't wait to see what he becomes, but I was very impressed with my first viewing.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Away from the puck, he anticipates and always seems to be in the right spot. When he gets the puck, he processes the information so quickly and makes the right play (carry the puck, dump it, pass it, pass it back to the D, etc..) in a split second. He's defensively responsible and just a solid player.

That is exactly what we witnessed last season back here in Finland in every game that he played. :)

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
That is exactly what we witnessed last season back here in Finland in every game that he played. :)

exactly this, Aho is so much overlooked, there was a good reason both Laine and Puljujärvi excelled at WHJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->