LW Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 26th, SJS)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I still have trouble understanding the lack of excitement for this guy overall.

Agreed, he's one of the highest upside guys in the draft. Biggest question mark for me is just consistency and motor. Defensive flaws for a winger at this stage doesn't mean much IMO. But he's arguably a top 5 talent in this draft.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think he’s going to go higher than public lists. I could see him as high as his hometown team at 13

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This is no indictment of him at all because I'm obviously a big fan and I do think he'll be a good NHLer....but I think he's gonna go much higher than what the mocks are suggesting because "the idea of Matthew Tkachuk" is going to spur alot of bad emotional decision making this offseason as many GMs and owners are gonna feel the need to recreate a version of Matt Tkachuk on their rosters in some way shape or form.

Therefore these forwards with size and any hint of skill are gonna be in real high, even much moreso than usual

It's gonna take awhile for those idealists to learn that "Matt Tkachuk" isn't a prototypical player you can find that easily.

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
5 years from now, people may question why Barlow and Wood went ahead of him in the draft, but it’s actually quite easy to understand.

If you breakdown his game, he needs a ton of work on his 200 ft game, and he doesn’t find the seams in transition very well. Which is a bit weird for a top scoring winger. All 3 of them play well in traffic and create space. The other two just do it more consistently.

Overall though, it really is just not having as structured of a game as Barlow, and especially Wood. No way he falls out of the 1st round though. Goals are just at too much of a premium. Probably 3 years away at least though, where Barlow and Wood are much closer to the NHL. Especially Wood.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me, and I'm okay with it if KA skews towards family building.
I think it’s less that he’s local and Adams knows and has seen him more than anyone…and more that he proved coachable and improved steadily all year. Adams loves risers. And he loves watching Tuch make those passes in the offensive zone while also being able to snipe it. Big body’s who have playmaking are rare. Everyone wants to chase Tkachuk’s toughness when that is hard to predict development on. Chase Tuch’s skills in a player with a power frame…I bet you’ll hit at a higher rate. Especially when a guy is coachable and improves steadily.

Reactions: majormajor

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I watched him live quite a few times this year, thought he was much better post coaching change, and I've always been surprised he was ranked late first. I seem to remember some lists even having him as a second rounder earlier in this year.

Reactions: Kulich Man

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I watched him live quite a few times this year, thought he was much better post coaching change, and I've always been surprised he was ranked late first. I seem to remember some lists even having him as a second rounder earlier in this year.

That's just the Wolves in general to be fair lol. The transition from Duncanson to MacKenzie was a pretty radical improvement in coaching and development haha.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
That's just the Wolves in general to be fair lol. The transition from Duncanson to MacKenzie was a pretty radical improvement in coaching and development haha.

Yes, I am disappointed that MacKenzie is leaving next season, hopefully there is not a regression in the clubs performance.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have seen a few mocks where he is going to the Kraken. Our scouting group has been watching Goyette's development, so they likely have a good idea of Musty.

I am kind of surprised that he didn't outscore Goyette, but he did play 10 fewer games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad