Prospect Info: LW - Nolan Foote

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone post Scott Wheeler's blurb on Foote from his organizational rankings so here it is.

2. Nolan Foote, LW, 19 (Kelowna Rockets)

Foote is a player I was sour on for a long time because I worried that he:

• Struggled in transition as a skater, limiting his ability to get off his lethal snap shot as he progresses up levels.
  • Didn’t do a great job using his linemates or finding his linemates through traffic when he tried to. His head tended to dip, limiting his peripheral vision and turning him into a predictable, borderline one-dimensional player.

Both of those things have now progressed to a level where I’m happy with them. I worried that he might look out of place in a top-six for Canada at the world juniors that also boasted Barrett Hayton, Alexis Lafreniere, Dylan Cozens and Joe Veleno – four players who are plus-level skaters – and later added Liam Foudy – one of the fastest players on the planet. He didn’t, though, and did a good job keeping up off the rush, while providing a different element once offensive zone pressure had been established.

Top 2020 prospect Quinton Byfield, who roomed with Foote at the world juniors, was quick to point to the fact that, while his roomie has size and a lethal shot, he can also skate and move the puck, calling him an “exceptional player.” Mitch Love, Team Canada’s assistant coach and one of Foote’s rival coaches in the WHL with the Saskatoon Blades, was quick to point out how thankful he was that Foote was teeing up his shot for the good guys.

Foote’s skating has improved to a level where I would say it’s NHL average, which is fine for a kid who is 6-foot-4. And while he’s always going to be a shot first player, I am increasingly impressed with his ability to make small area plays to teammates. I think he has a chance to become a good second line scorer who provides a physical element and length to a line. He was good at the world juniors, great in the Canada-Russia series and he’s consistently dangerous on a team that lacks a supporting cast in Kelowna.

I'm sorry, but that sounds f***ing awesome. Remember when we added Pat Maroon a couple of years ago and while he wasn't as fast as Grabner, he was a big body that controlled play along the boards and was a perfect fit. I just think of that but, you know, also scoring 30 goals.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
zero reason to do this unless we draft Byfield.
It's called stacking a top line. I want to see a legitimate case for us having one of the best lines in hockey period in the hopefully near future. Every one of those three players brings something different to the table. We shall see what the future holds.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I haven't seen anyone post Scott Wheeler's blurb on Foote from his organizational rankings so here it is.

2. Nolan Foote, LW, 19 (Kelowna Rockets)

Foote is a player I was sour on for a long time because I worried that he:

• Struggled in transition as a skater, limiting his ability to get off his lethal snap shot as he progresses up levels.
  • Didn’t do a great job using his linemates or finding his linemates through traffic when he tried to. His head tended to dip, limiting his peripheral vision and turning him into a predictable, borderline one-dimensional player.

Both of those things have now progressed to a level where I’m happy with them. I worried that he might look out of place in a top-six for Canada at the world juniors that also boasted Barrett Hayton, Alexis Lafreniere, Dylan Cozens and Joe Veleno – four players who are plus-level skaters – and later added Liam Foudy – one of the fastest players on the planet. He didn’t, though, and did a good job keeping up off the rush, while providing a different element once offensive zone pressure had been established.

Top 2020 prospect Quinton Byfield, who roomed with Foote at the world juniors, was quick to point to the fact that, while his roomie has size and a lethal shot, he can also skate and move the puck, calling him an “exceptional player.” Mitch Love, Team Canada’s assistant coach and one of Foote’s rival coaches in the WHL with the Saskatoon Blades, was quick to point out how thankful he was that Foote was teeing up his shot for the good guys.

Foote’s skating has improved to a level where I would say it’s NHL average, which is fine for a kid who is 6-foot-4. And while he’s always going to be a shot first player, I am increasingly impressed with his ability to make small area plays to teammates. I think he has a chance to become a good second line scorer who provides a physical element and length to a line. He was good at the world juniors, great in the Canada-Russia series and he’s consistently dangerous on a team that lacks a supporting cast in Kelowna.

I'm sorry, but that sounds ****ing awesome. Remember when we added Pat Maroon a couple of years ago and while he wasn't as fast as Grabner, he was a big body that controlled play along the boards and was a perfect fit. I just think of that but, you know, also scoring 30 goals.
I agree.....one thing I can say is he stuck out at the WJC......Tampa was very high on him as a prospect as well and he offers more to a team like ours that lacks the skills and size he brings......

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
IDK about some of the JVR comparisons. When I think of JVR I think elite garbageman making his living in the crease. Foote sounds like he has a little more sniper to his game

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Bolts fan here- Overall I think this was a good trade for both teams. Nolan Foote is a very good but not an elite prospect. He was at the Bolts training camp this fall and did so so. He has great size and you definitely saw his booming shot on occasion but you also saw a lack of creativity and someone who got regularly beaten by the Bolts veteran speedy forwards (showing he is still long way from NHL). He had a good year in juniors last year and also played superb at WJC. But his time this year in juniors has been hampered by injury and overall ineffective play. Granted his team is bad but he he does not make those around him better which highlights his lack of creativity. All that said, I think, if given time to spend a couple of years in the AHL (just like Coleman did), he will continue to get better. By all accounts he is known as a hard worker. I think his ceiling is a second line winger who gets a lot of power play points. More likely he ends up a 3rd line winger who still gets a lot of PP points due to his booming shot.

This trade was also about the Bolts getting payroll flexibility down the road and being able to move one of their high priced wingers this offseason (reason Bolts gave up extra first round pick to make the trade happen)! They have 2 rookie forwards in the lineup this year (Carter Verghaege and Mitchell Stephens) and their play likely made the ability to trade NF a reality. Bolts still have a first and second rounder in this years deep draft and their are only so many prospects you can keep in your system!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves said the skating concerns are blown out of proportion, iirc?

The only concern is really with Foote's first-step quickness and acceleration. This is an area which can be improved through coaching, more so than with actual speed -- and I would say that Foote actually has good top speed, especially considering his 6'4 frame.

The main thing you're getting with Foote is a huge, physical winger whose shot is downright ridiculous. This is a kid who can tee it up from anywhere and make goaltenders look silly.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, it's like this dude is expecting him to be a Alexis Lafreniere or Quinton Byfield type when someone says "beast." No, he's not someone that's going to be able to carry you and lift up linemates. That's not what we acquired him to do. He's a secondary piece but a huge piece nonetheless.

His profile is like a smarter JvR. I'll take that any day of the week in a trade for a prospect.
You’re going to be disappointed. Kelowna has produced some quality nhl talent and I’ve been watching them for 13 years. He is awesome on the power play. But he struggles at even strength and against quick teams at the whl level. Can’t imagine that changing in the nhl. His wjc points also came on the man advantage. I’m cheering for him because I’m a Rockets fan and love seeing the boys graduate but I really don’t see him amounting to more than a 3rd line player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You’re going to be disappointed. Kelowna has produced some quality nhl talent and I’ve been watching them for 13 years. He is awesome on the power play. But he struggles at even strength and against quick teams at the whl level. Can’t imagine that changing in the nhl. His wjc points also came on the man advantage. I’m cheering for him because I’m a Rockets fan and love seeing the boys graduate but I really don’t see him amounting to more than a 3rd line player.

If he can ride shotgun with Hughes score 25-30 goals at his peak and provide some physical play and pushback I think NJ fans would take that. Even with most of it coming on the PP and even if he never scores more than 50-60 points. Maybe he doesn’t get there but realistically he brings an element NJ is sorely lacking and he can’t really be evaluated until he gets to play eventually with better players more suited to working worth him.

What I’m reading is that Kelowna needs him to create chances. Presumably with Hischier and/or Hughes he just needs to convert chances he is given. Big change in role and expectations and it remains to be seen how he fits.

That said your description probably isn’t that off from what others have said. How many prospects outside the NHL really have sure fire top six careers ahead of them? Projecting him as essentially a middle six guy is pretty good when you look at NJ’s prospect pool where most pundits would probably place only Jesper Boquist as a projectable top six forward right now.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
All I'd want of Foote is to win board battles/loose pucks, find open space and use his deadly shot. And yeah, if he's paired with Hughes or Hischier (especially Hughes) then that's really all he'd need to do in the offensive zone. Let Hughes draw defenders to him and then dish it to Foote. They could form a real nice combo.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If he’s was an elite forward prospect having a monster d+1 season then we wouldn’t have got him in the Coleman trade. I even don’t want him to make the NHL next year because I don’t want the team to rush him. We need shooters and size though so it’s easy to excited about having a big shot in the middle six.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably mentioned elsewhere, but just in case: Kelowna is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, so at least we'll have a reason to tune in when the tournament gets underway in late May.

Ottawa has the best record in the OHL, so it'd be great if they win their league championship and play in the Memorial Cup as well.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Except I'm not going to be disappointed at all because I don't have delusions of grandeur here. Simply put, his play style is absolutely perfect for both Nico and Jack. That's the important part. I don't care that he's not a line driver or a do it all winger. He fits a very particular need and that's all I care about.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If Foote can be a JVR type that would be good for us. A big top 6 forward, who can play in the corners and get to the front of the net would definitely be needed.

Could also potentially be a net-front presence on the PP where JVR has had a lot of success.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I wonder what his timeline projects like? When can we expect him be a regular? Is 2-3 years a stretch?
He’ll be in the AHL next season so he will most likely get some games at the NHL level at some point next season and then will definitely have a bigger impact in 2021-2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad