Prospect Info: LW - Nolan Foote

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Once he's done with his Junior season there's no reason we shouldn't call him up and have a look. He could make the big club out of camp next year. It would be unexpected, but not a shock.

Kelowna is hosting the 2020 Memorial Cup, so he won't be making an appearance in NJ/Binghamton this season.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
He’s more than a year away. He’s AHL eligible next season, so I imagine he’ll be in Bingo. I’d be shocked if he was here to start the year.

depends on what we let go. if Palmer is traded we are not looking at much on the wings that is established so his odds may not be as bad as you think.. I like the young guys we are getting..

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
depends on what we let go. if Palmer is traded we are not looking at much on the wings that is established so his odds may not be as bad as you think.. I like the young guys we are getting..
Having a hole and filling it with a player that's not ready is probably not the best idea, especially if we have him (or someone else) play on their off-wing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kelowna relieved Adam Foote of the head coaching duties today. It would be interesting if Kelowna were eliminated early in the WHL playoffs only to be well-rested for the Memorial Cup. This happened a couple times in recent years where the host team won the tournament despite not getting out of the second round of its league playoffs; One of the quirky side effects of naming a host a year in advance.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Kelowna relieved Adam Foote of the head coaching duties today. It would be interesting if Kelowna were eliminated early in the WHL playoffs only to be well-rested for the Memorial Cup. This happened a couple times in recent years where the host team won the tournament despite not getting out of the second round of its league playoffs; One of the quirky side effects of naming a host a year in advance.

Wait, Nolan was being coached by his dad? lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How did Nolan look in his first game?

he didn't look out of place IMO...made a nice play on Hischier's goal to get a secondary assist. Wasn't really noticeable for the most part, which I guess isn't a bad thing in your first game as a 20 year old

He didn't get much ice time unfortunately and didn't play with Nico until like the 3rd period

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
he didn't look out of place IMO...made a nice play on Hischier's goal to get a secondary assist. Wasn't really noticeable for the most part, which I guess isn't a bad thing in your first game as a 20 year old

He didn't get much ice time unfortunately and didn't play with Nico until like the 3rd period
I liked his play against the boards and he kept up with play. Outside of using his shot I don't we could of asked for much more, considering like you said not playing with Nico until the 3rd.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I watched a few of his games at Binghampton and I have no idea what that was all about. People were acting like he's the second coming of Jimmy Hayes. His skating is fine.

He'd had an apparently significant lower leg injury his last year in juniors. I don't doubt it would cause him to struggle with his on ice mobility. Hopefully he can continue to work on that skill in the offseason.

Reactions: Guadana

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
They say he has extremely high hockey IQ and works great off the boards which we saw with the assist.....If he's as cerebral as his father was at the game he will be a plus to the team.....That IQ can put him in the right place or have his puck movements ten times better and quicker then a guy that only offers pure speed.....A plus too is he was around the game his whole life and he was in awe of the fact he was getting a shot in the NHL that shows he'll be dedicated..There was no way Fitz couldn't make the Coleman trade once Foote was added imo.....

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
They say he has extremely high hockey IQ and works great off the boards which we saw with the assist.....If he's as cerebral as his father was at the game he will be a plus to the team.....That IQ can put him in the right place or have his puck movements ten times better and quicker then a guy that only offers pure speed.....A plus too is he was around the game his whole life and he was in awe of the fact he was getting a shot in the NHL that shows he'll be dedicated..There was no way Fitz couldn't make the Coleman trade once Foote was added imo.....
IQ + size + shot, basically what the doctor ordered for NJD

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I thought the pace of the game and the physicality was overwhelming him at times but that’s why these guys are getting a taste of NHL hockey; they need to learn how quick it is as the top level.
I anticipate this will get better. It will be an adjustment period figuring out how much time he has in all situations and how quickly to move the puck. I do still think he needs an extra boost to win some races for the puck.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he’s obviously big but how has he been using his size? is he physically imposing and hard hitting? is he good at using his size to protect the puck?

was hard to get a good read on his game but liked the assist obviously

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
he’s obviously big but how has he been using his size? is he physically imposing and hard hitting? is he good at using his size to protect the puck?

They say he uses his size....I'm sure once he settles down and gets comfortable that will follow in the NHL..

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

It's also tough to get a read on his game when he's with Maltsev and Merkley essentially every shift. To me, he thrives in a top 6 role as a compliment with play drivers. There's a reason Canada had him ride shotgun with Lafreniere and Veleno at the WJC and Foote lit it up in that spot. It's doing his game a disservice to stick him on an energy line and ask him to buzz around and carry the play with a group of guys that get caved in their own zone and create nothing. He seems like the perfect guy to slide onto Hughes' wing along with a strong possession/energy guy at RW.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
thanks. i guess my question is more that because most of what everyone talks about is his shot which is definitely at the top of the list of things we need, but because of his size i’m asking if he’s more than just a shot, is he a strong possession player and can he play the role of grinder/big body with those skill players?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's also tough to get a read on his game when he's with Maltsev and Merkley essentially every shift. To me, he thrives in a top 6 role as a compliment with play drivers. There's a reason Canada had him ride shotgun with Lafreniere and Veleno at the WJC and Foote lit it up in that spot. It's doing his game a disservice to stick him on an energy line and ask him to buzz around and carry the play with a group of guys that get caved in their own zone and create nothing. He seems like the perfect guy to slide onto Hughes' wing along with a strong possession/energy guy at RW.

Foote Hughes Mercer?

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad