Prospect Info: LW - Nolan Foote

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Once he's done with his Junior season there's no reason we shouldn't call him up and have a look. He could make the big club out of camp next year. It would be unexpected, but not a shock.
That would be fun to see, especially on fan appreciation night at the Rock.

Reactions: mdj12784

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Thanks to all those who have come on the bolts board and gave us some scouting reports on Coleman. I'll try to do the best I can on Foote. He's definitely a very intriguing prospect with that rare combination of size and physical game to go along with good hands, a terrific shot, and top 6 skillset. Players like him don't grow on trees. We've been able to turn over some rocks and round up a number of smaller, fast, skill players over the years but a player like Foote has been hard to find and develop. Probably the reason many of us were so shocked to see him go. But obviously you have to give to get.

As a goal scorer, he can do smooth shootout goals like this at the Canada-Russia series

And rocket one times like this at the WJC

Head Coach Dale Hunter made a note to compare his shot to Ovechkins which was quite the compliment. A lot of attention is paid to his shot which many have called a NHL calibre shot, but he can score a lot of different ways. In Kelowna we've seen him use a more power forward move and bully his way to the net. But the next game you'll see him skate and play off the rush and show off some finesse. He can sit between the hashes or score from distance. He's not bad in the playmaking department either.

I think something fans should like is he's done well with the spot light on him or against good competition. With Team Canada at the Summer showcase, or at the Canada-Russia series in November, or at the WJC, he's always done well and made some standout plays. His junior team, Kelowna, will host the Memorial Cup this spring too, so that'll be another opportunity for him to get some great experience, and that's all positive for his development.

There were some questions about his skating pre-draft but he's been working on it and I don't think it's really been an issue at all. I think the biggest fear is health. He was injured last season, and he's been out for about a month right now with a "lower body injury." The Bolts flew him in to Tampa last week to meet with our doctors and they completely cleared him. His first game back might possibly be tonight. But hopefully that's not something that sticks with him, especially for a guy who you want to see use his 6'4" frame and play a physical game. Speaking of a physical game, he's not really a bulldozer. You're not going to see him running around taking names. He doesn't have that mean streak. But he has definitely shown a willingness to hit and finish his checks. Right now because of his size, he easily knocks over a lot of his teenage competition. At his current level, he has that man among boys advantage. Probably going to need some patience with him to transform his body to be able to play his physical game at the NHL level. That'll be a question too of how he handles himself in the AHL or NHL when he no longer has that advantage and everyone is bigger, fast, stronger.

I think the only other question is what he'll be at the NHL level. Is he more of a complimentary piece or can he be the focal point of a scoring line. That's hard to say right now. But, he's got a lot to work with, you guys just need to take your time with him and round him out. Best of luck with Foote. Maybe one day we'll have a Nolan vs Cal Foote game in the future.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Big boy with a big shot. Seems the type of prospect a lot of people have been asking for.
I think he and Bastian will earn spots on this club over the next few years

Foote a top-6 threat with Bastian maybe leaning toward 4th line with 3rd line ceiling

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Hoping he turns out to be Hughes trigger man, kind of like how James Neal was Malkin’s trigger man in Pitt. I think that’s a decent comparable

Reactions: Oneiro

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
So Foote seems like a slower version of what we thought Zacha would be? Maybe a ceiling somewhere around Palmieri level? Is that a fair expectation?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So Foote seems like a slower version of what we thought Zacha would be? Maybe a ceiling somewhere around Palmieri level? Is that a fair expectation?
I'm guessing around the same scoring level as Palms, but much bigger so probably works the boards better and a better net-front presence. Also probably a bit slower if what I read is correct. He doesn't seem to be afraid to use his size, but neither did Zacha back in juniors.

I'm thinking JVR is probably a good comparison.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Why is Zacha used so much in all these comparisons :laugh: They literally have nothing in common.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Why is Zacha used so much in all these comparisons :laugh: They literally have nothing in common.
I think it's purely the size.

Actually, I take that back. Zacha had a mean streak back in juniors too. I wish he had brought it with him here.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

we as devils fans only compare players to Devils players. People were comparing Hughes to Scott Gomez. Theres a prospect who can shoot, reid boucher or palmieri comparison. Prospect who is swedish, will they be Tedenby or Josefsson? big forward prospect, Zacha. People need to watch more of the nhl.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
we as devils fans only compare players to Devils players. People were comparing Hughes to Scott Gomez. Theres a prospect who can shoot, reid boucher or palmieri comparison. Prospect who is swedish, will they be Tedenby or Josefsson? big forward prospect, Zacha. People need to watch more of the nhl.
Fine, he is Lindros with a better shot.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Thanks to all those who have come on the bolts board and gave us some scouting reports on Coleman. I'll try to do the best I can on Foote. He's definitely a very intriguing prospect with that rare combination of size and physical game to go along with good hands, a terrific shot, and top 6 skillset. Players like him don't grow on trees. We've been able to turn over some rocks and round up a number of smaller, fast, skill players over the years but a player like Foote has been hard to find and develop. Probably the reason many of us were so shocked to see him go. But obviously you have to give to get.

As a goal scorer, he can do smooth shootout goals like this at the Canada-Russia series

And rocket one times like this at the WJC

Head Coach Dale Hunter made a note to compare his shot to Ovechkins which was quite the compliment. A lot of attention is paid to his shot which many have called a NHL calibre shot, but he can score a lot of different ways. In Kelowna we've seen him use a more power forward move and bully his way to the net. But the next game you'll see him skate and play off the rush and show off some finesse. He can sit between the hashes or score from distance. He's not bad in the playmaking department either.

I think something fans should like is he's done well with the spot light on him or against good competition. With Team Canada at the Summer showcase, or at the Canada-Russia series in November, or at the WJC, he's always done well and made some standout plays. His junior team, Kelowna, will host the Memorial Cup this spring too, so that'll be another opportunity for him to get some great experience, and that's all positive for his development.

There were some questions about his skating pre-draft but he's been working on it and I don't think it's really been an issue at all. I think the biggest fear is health. He was injured last season, and he's been out for about a month right now with a "lower body injury." The Bolts flew him in to Tampa last week to meet with our doctors and they completely cleared him. His first game back might possibly be tonight. But hopefully that's not something that sticks with him, especially for a guy who you want to see use his 6'4" frame and play a physical game. Speaking of a physical game, he's not really a bulldozer. You're not going to see him running around taking names. He doesn't have that mean streak. But he has definitely shown a willingness to hit and finish his checks. Right now because of his size, he easily knocks over a lot of his teenage competition. At his current level, he has that man among boys advantage. Probably going to need some patience with him to transform his body to be able to play his physical game at the NHL level. That'll be a question too of how he handles himself in the AHL or NHL when he no longer has that advantage and everyone is bigger, fast, stronger.

I think the only other question is what he'll be at the NHL level. Is he more of a complimentary piece or can he be the focal point of a scoring line. That's hard to say right now. But, he's got a lot to work with, you guys just need to take your time with him and round him out. Best of luck with Foote. Maybe one day we'll have a Nolan vs Cal Foote game in the future.

thanks for the thorough write up, friend!

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Once he's done with his Junior season there's no reason we shouldn't call him up and have a look. He could make the big club out of camp next year. It would be unexpected, but not a shock.
Yes, that would be an absolute shock.

I like Foote, but some people need to pump the brakes a bit. Quite frankly he hasn't performed well at ES over the last couple years from a point production standpoint and that is concerning. He is a monster on the PowerPlay, but sometimes orgs/scouts get concerned when a player is getting an overwhelming point share % on the PP. I'd venture this played into Tampa's decision.

Will be fun to watch him develop.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t even want him in the NHL at the start of next season because that means the team is rushing young players to fill roster spots. Boqvist is a 21 yo old who played pro hockey in Sweden so taking a chance on him on the opening day roster makes sense. Let the guy who was drafted in 2019 mature physically and work on his game more.

Reactions: My3Sons

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

Don't think there's anything wrong with that. We watch our players the closest, so even if the playstyle isn't identical it might give us better indication of the skillset than comparing to someone who we might have not seen play that much.

Foote sounds a bit disappointed, which is understandable considering his brother is still in Tampa and the bolts are a much more competitive team atm. Hopefully he'll find some solace from the possibility of getting to play with Nico & Jack, as well as the guys he already knows in Merkley and Smith.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
He’s more than a year away. He’s AHL eligible next season, so I imagine he’ll be in Bingo. I’d be shocked if he was here to start the year.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Don't think there's anything wrong with that. We watch our players the closest, so even if the playstyle isn't identical it might give us better indication of the skillset than comparing to someone who we might have not seen play that much.

Foote sounds a bit disappointed, which is understandable considering his brother is still in Tampa and the bolts are a much more competitive team atm. Hopefully he'll find some solace from the possibility of getting to play with Nico & Jack, as well as the guys he already knows in Merkley and Smith.

I wholeheartedly disagree, especially when comparing players of today to players of the previous generation where the play style is very different. There also are going to be a lot of prospects that dont fit the mold of a player we have seen come through the system before. I also think it helps anyone to try and have a greater knowledge of the full nhl.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don’t even want him in the NHL at the start of next season because that means the team is rushing young players to fill roster spots. Boqvist is a 21 yo old who played pro hockey in Sweden so taking a chance on him on the opening day roster makes sense. Let the guy who was drafted in 2019 mature physically and work on his game more.

No, it doesn't. Did Bratt make the roster at 19 because we rushed him? No, in fact, we didn't even really have a spot for him, but he forced with way onto the roster with the camp that he had. If anyone was rushed, it was Boqvist, who had a strong camp, but then should have been sent down much earlier except it wasn't an option because of his SHL contract.

If Foote forces his way onto the roster the way Bratt did, he should get a spot. The good news is he's AHL eligible, so he could start the season with the big club and always be sent down later.

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No, it doesn't. Did Bratt make the roster at 19 because we rushed him? No, in fact, we didn't even really have a spot for him, but he forced with way onto the roster with the camp that he had. If anyone was rushed, it was Boqvist, who had a strong camp, but then should have been sent down much earlier except it wasn't an option because of his SHL contract.

If Foote forces his way onto the roster the way Bratt did, he should get a spot. The good news is he's AHL eligible, so he could start the season with the big club and always be sent down later.
I spoke too broadly, I don’t even pretend to evaluate players not on the team so I agree Foote’s game could be surprisingly mature and he could stick by the end of camp. I didn’t mean to sound like I was writing Foote off and saying that’s impossible.

Teams do have a real tendency to rush prospects during a rebuild and a strong “let the kids play” approach can go very wrong. Bratt was a pretty unique case and he also played in a men’s league rather than juniors. If Foote is struggling at 5v5 in juniors I don’t believe that’s a guy you pencil in a NHL line up before they play pro hockey. I don’t pretend to have a crystal ball though, these are tough decisions for teams.

Reactions: mdj12784

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm guessing around the same scoring level as Palms, but much bigger so probably works the boards better and a better net-front presence. Also probably a bit slower if what I read is correct. He doesn't seem to be afraid to use his size, but neither did Zacha back in juniors.

I'm thinking JVR is probably a good comparison.
JVR is more of a netfront garbageman as opposed to a shooter. I think Foote compares more to James Neal.

Reactions: Nubmer6

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I dont think Foote is a net front presence garbage guy goal scorer. He is a bit mechanical and doesnt have the quickness needed to jump on pucks in front of the net. Plus if you park him in front of the net on the PP, you waste his best asset which is his booming shot! I think Foote is more a special teams player who will excel on the PP and with his reach and ability to hit, he could be decent at the point on a PK (think Brian Boyle in his prime). 5v5, his lack of creativity gets exposed and he just is not a Stamkos or Ovechkin who skate considerably better to get open for their booming shots! If he stays healthy and works hard, he could eventually be a 2nd line winger but more likely is a 3rd liner on a really good team who gets PP time that boost his point totals! A very good prospect but there was a reason he lasted until the 27th pick in a so-so draft!

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->