LW Matvei Petrov (2021, 180th, EDM)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Him and Coe have been money.

That line is arguably the best line in the CHL. Jackson is also having a great year on that line as well.

OHL Scoring:
1. Coe (48 points)
2. Petrov (42 points)

8. Jackson (37 points)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How the in the world did this kid fall to the 6th round? lol.
Russian

To be fair Poltapov was ahead of him in goal scoring in the MHL last season. Other than that Chirbikov and Svechkov were already playing on a higher level. So basically 4th best 2003 born russian forward based on last season stats. But they all go lower than they should in the draft(excpet for the inexplicably overhyped Poltapov).

Too bad he plays in the OHL though and decided to squander the opportunity to play in a better league in Russia. I'd like to see his numbers there at this age.

He is still comfortably ahead of Guschin as a WJC candidate in my book at this point.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russian

To be fair Poltapov was ahead of him in goal scoring in the MHL last season. Other than that Chirbikov and Svechkov were already playing on a higher level. So basically 4th best 2003 born russian forward based on last season stats. But they all go lower than they should in the draft(excpet for the inexplicably overhyped Poltapov).

Too bad he plays in the OHL though and decided to squander the opportunity to play in a better league in Russia. I'd like to see his numbers there at this age.

He is still comfortably ahead of Guschin as a WJC candidate in my book at this point.

Russia would be silly not to consider him for their WJC team.

He’s arguably been the best player in the OHL this year as an 18 year old.

Covid, scouting, and the silly “Russian factor” may have played into him falling in the draft that hugely benefited the Oilers.

Petrov mentioned soon after his draft how much he loved having the opportunity to play in Canada and wanted to be here. Seems like a really good kid in his interviews.

He’s already signed his ELC with the Oilers ahead of all of their picks from last years draft.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Covid, scouting, and the silly “Russian factor” may have played into him falling in the draft that hugely benefited the Oilers.

Petrov mentioned soon after his draft how much he loved having the opportunity to play in Canada and wanted to be here. Seems like a really good kid in his interviews.

He’s already signed his ELC with the Oilers ahead of all of their picks from last years draft.
I get it he escaped the ususal no-AHL-trap by being drafted out of Russia. It is still not the best thing to happen to him to play in the OHL. He could be playing in the VHL, maybe the KHL by now.

As for the WJC aruably best in the OHL might be not enough this year for a winger.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He didn't look impressive at WJC U18. Like at all. So it was not just COVID and Russian factor.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I get it he escaped the ususal no-AHL-trap by being drafted out of Russia. It is still not the best thing to happen to him to play in the OHL. He could be playing in the VHL, maybe the KHL by now.

As for the WJC aruably best in the OHL might be not enough this year for a winger.

I’m not so certain that playing 5 or less minutes in the KHL would be the best for his development. The KHL isn’t a development league, it’s a men’s league and the 2nd best league in the world. Coaches and franchises are concerned with winning first and foremost as they should be, just like the NHL isn’t a development league.

The OHL is an excellent development league and being arguably the best player in that league this year is nothing to turn a persons nose at. Especially given Petrov’s combination of size, skill, and two way play.

I understand the generally issues at times for some Russian forwards who come to Canada, particularly forwards. Russian D men tend to develop better in the CHL than they do in Russia for whatever reasons though. It’s a strange distinction between Russian forwards and D men.

However, there are exceptions and Petrov seems to really be finding his game in the OHL and if he doesn’t get an honest look and potential opportunity to make the Russian WJC that would be foolish. Even if he doesn’t make it this year, to not get consideration makes zero sense given his play.

I agree with you, it’s best he avoided the AHL trap many young Europeans face after being drafted. That’s a very tough and physical league for any 18 year old to play in.

Reactions: Hairy Apparatus

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Watched this kid yesterday against Barrie, as others have noted his shot is exceptional... easily NHL quality. Looking like a potential steal already. Hope he makes the WJC roster!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I’m not so certain that playing 5 or less minutes in the KHL would be the best for his development. The KHL isn’t a development league, it’s a men’s league and the 2nd best league in the world. Coaches and franchises are concerned with winning first and foremost as they should be, just like the NHL isn’t a development league.

The OHL is an excellent development league and being arguably the best player in that league this year is nothing to turn a persons nose at. Especially given Petrov’s combination of size, skill, and two way play.

I understand the generally issues at times for some Russian forwards who come to Canada, particularly forwards. Russian D men tend to develop better in the CHL than they do in Russia for whatever reasons though. It’s a strange distinction between Russian forwards and D men.

However, there are exceptions and Petrov seems to really be finding his game in the OHL and if he doesn’t get an honest look and potential opportunity to make the Russian WJC that would be foolish. Even if he doesn’t make it this year, to not get consideration makes zero sense given his play.

I agree with you, it’s best he avoided the AHL trap many young Europeans face after being drafted. That’s a very tough and physical league for any 18 year old to play in.
The trick about the MHL/VHL/KHL system is though that a player can be moved between them during the season even on a daily basis. He is not stapled to whatever minutes in the KHL. As a perspective most of the top players on Russia's WJC rosters will have MHL,VHL and KHL games played this season. That's for starters.

Then that general idea that a player should play 15-20 minutes a night to develop at all is just wrong. At that age games aren't the most important part even, while they are or course necessary too. Thaere is much more happenning in the development department than "5 minutes" when a player is with the KHL team. He gets to practice with KHL teammates and coaches and actually see what the bigger stage looks like before he has to perform on it as a 15 minutes a night player. Also it did work just fine for so many Russians, that I refuse to feel concerned until a player really barely getting to play on any level.

The OHL in my book is an okay option for a pre-draft player. If he at least gets to play in the AHL after the draft it might work. Spending an another season in the OHL would be wasting time though.

There is nothing strange about the D development. It is just worse in general in Russia. Also the CHL is not producing better russian D-men per se. It is just certainly not worse of an option than the development in Russia. With forwards it's different because the forwards development is excellent in Russia and I sicerely don't understand what rides those forwards to choose the CHL. In Petrov's case it might be that he wasn't in one of the established MHL/VHL/KHL systems. Some guys just want to be with a big shiny team.

This year there was no Canada-Russia-Series. That did objectively hurt the stock of all russian CHL players in terms of WJC invites. There was no chance for the coaches to see them first hand. They will have to decide based on very limited input and bare stats. And this year's roster is exceptionally tough to make for wingers. The 1st and 2nd lines are set. If anything Petrov would have to convince he is a 3rd line option. And Miroshnichenko is by the looks of it 3rd on the LW depth chart. Is Petrov better than Miroshnichenko?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dempsey

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It's basically his 1st season, where he shows a top prospect potential. I'd say one season isn't enough. Let's see how good he'll be next year.

I don't think its gonna be in the OHL thou. He plays like a pro, but without a pro body/physique.

6 foot 2, i think after next summer, he'll be 192 lbs - around that figure i predict.

He will be 19 and 200+ days old when the next camp starts, has possibly worked
on his game all summer, super ready to the camp.

I see not much of reasons why he couldn't take a spot from that Oiers roster from the get go.

Sure, i might get a bit too ahead of things, but...this is my take.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think its gonna be in the OHL thou. He plays like a pro, but without a pro body/physique.

6 foot 2, i think after next summer, he'll be 192 lbs - around that figure i predict.

He will be 19 and 200+ days old when the next camp starts, has possibly worked
on his game all summer, super ready to the camp.

I see not much of reasons why he couldn't take a spot from that Oiers roster from the get go.

Sure, i might get a bit too ahead of things, but...this is my take.
9 games are not out of the question, sure. Playing in the NHL on the regular basis is I think too high a bar. Though he wasn't drafted out of the OHL, so he can play in the AHL next season. In that case yes, he would not be in the OHL anymore.

Reactions: barriers

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
1+3, 4 shots on goal.

In 28 games : 20 goals, about 50 points, +19, 18 penalty minutes, 91 sog.

Most points of any player from the 2021 draft class I believe as well now.

Still shocked he’s not even getting any consideration for the Russian WJC team. I get that the Russians are strong this year and particularly on the wing but having a right shot player with his size and talent are always a plus.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Most points of any player from the 2021 draft class I believe as well now.

Still shocked he’s not even getting any consideration for the Russian WJC team. I get that the Russians are strong this year and particularly on the wing but having a right shot player with his size and talent are always a plus.
Russia took zero players in N/A so I wouldn’t stress too hard over it - they even left Kuznetsov and Chayka off the roster who are returning players.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ken Holland was trying to trade the 180th pick to Toronto to acquire Hyman's rights before free agency hit, and Kyle Dubas decided this was the time to take a hardline stance and refused getting any compensation for a player he was losing for nothing. The Oilers have lucked out big time so far.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Finland did the same

I think its the whole Covid shit, that's making national teams scared.

Well Russians had more viewings of players playing in Russia and this year those in NA were not head and shoulders above the Russian based players. Mintyukov and Chayka are the only changes I'd really argue about making for their team but their coach has his preference. Finland has Merilainen from the CHL , Maata from NCAA and Jarventie from AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad