LW Matvei Petrov (2021, 180th, EDM)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1673714133308.png

He looked out of place in preseason but I hope he took that experience and builds on it for next training camp. AHL will be tough for him next year but I hope he ends up being a steal for the Oil! Still pissed we traded Samo but this Klim kid seems pretty good!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Any Oilers fans think that he would have a chance to crack your line up as early as next season?.

Scored 90 points in his rookie season
Pace for 96 points in his second season.

Big 6 foot 2, strong 200+ lbs, good skater LW
has shown this season that he is more than just a goal scorer
has found more depth to his game.

Turns 20 in 2 months.

Reactions: BMann

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Any Oilers fans think that he would have a chance to crack your line up as early as next season?
It's CHL, those points mean nothing. He will play in the AHL and if it goes well will score ~0,5 PPG, similar to Xavier Bourgault whom you also hyped to no end last year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow, arent you a downer.
It's somewhat comical you have issue with someone writing a sensible, realistic projection.

I mean, I prefer realism over seeing Pavol Regenda as a Calder candidate, yes. And realistically, 0,5 PPG is the goal to aim for a prospect who is transitioning to the AHL from juniors but has some hope of being a scorer on the NHL level.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Any Oilers fans think that he would have a chance to crack your line up as early as next season?.

Scored 90 points in his rookie season
Pace for 96 points in his second season.

Big 6 foot 2, strong 200+ lbs, good skater LW
has shown this season that he is more than just a goal scorer
has found more depth to his game.

Turns 20 in 2 months.
Hard to say, the Oilers havent had all that much luck with CHL forwards. Lavoie, Makimsov, Safin, Tullio were all recent CHL forwards that had CHL stats similar to Petrov and similar hype and are only just average in the AHL

McLeod is the clear outlier. So based on those examples, Id say anything over an average AHLer next year is a bonus

Then again, the Oilers bottom 6 is not great, so there is room

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He is a steal at his spot for sure!

BUT, like above, he did not look like a 'pro' in training camp this year. Dylan Holloway looked like an all world all start and he's barely made an impact in the NHL as a high end first rounder.

Petrov will have a tough time in AHL I think. Kind of like Lavoie or Bourgault are now. It's a very hard step.

He has the size and tools but is also more like a Perlini in that he's a top 6 guy and he may have a hard time getting out of bottom 6 in the NHL to show what he's got. He has a lot of competitiion to crack that top 6 and get one of those centres. He's more realistically looking at 10 minutes a night on line 4 with a guy like Derek Ryan (yes, I know Ryan will be gone by the time he arrives). Not PP1 and first line with Drai in 2 years.

I'm 50-50 on if he becomes a great steal for us (our last 2 were Blumel and Samo who are both gone and in the AHL) or a really good Euro league player.

Reactions: Giggleplex

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
He's been producing more lately, which is fantastic. He needs to be fairly dominant at this level if he wants to maintain his status as an NHL prospect. I expect a similar career path as Savoie, and Tullio. We had three forwards have their rookie pro years at the same time this year in Savoie, Tullio, and Bourgault, not to mention Lavoie who is still a fringe-prospect. Hopefully the Condors have better chemistry next season, and the guys mentioned take a step between now and Sept. of this year. Petrov (and fellow rookie-pro Schaefer) should be in a position to succeed next year in Bako, as our team should be better and quite skilled. Savoie, Tullio, Lavoie, Bourgault, Schaefer, and Petrov will make it a competition for ice-time, so hopefully it brings out the best in everyone.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria

1-3-4 tonight. The other two assists were less impressive, but 4 points is still a good night. He's now leading the OHL in points, and up to 1.5ppg on the season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
rookie season : 42+58=100 | 254 sog
sophomore season : 30+83=113 | 256 sog

(156 regular and play-offs games)

is 2nd in OHL play-offs points this season (so far 20 points)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Him, Holloway and Lavoie should push for a rooster spot, right?

Imagine a line of Nuge Draisaitl Lavoie/Petrov who are more pure finnishers than yamamoto.

Yamamoto gets traded.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
He'll be at rookie camp, and he might make main camp, but there is 0% chance he makes the Oilers. Holloway is a lock, and Lavoie will be given a serious chance to make the team, but his spot is less certain. Petrov will be in Bakersfield next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad