LW Matvei Petrov (2021, 180th, EDM)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Goal-scorer that put up 22-20-42 in 58 MHL games this year. Stand-out trait is clearly his shot, and he flashes strong vision at times, but I'm not sure he brings much else to the game. Skating could use work. Ranked 35th by Central Scouting (EU) so could potentially be picked in the 3rd round or so.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Krylya Sovetov team announced that Petrov is moving overseas, so I guess that means he will play for the OHL's North Bay Battalion next season.
Yay, NB is collecting a real group of high end players. I imagine he will get top line ES and PP mins from the get go

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Selected first overall by the North Bay Battalion in the 2020 CHL Import Draft, it looked like there was a good chance Petrov would be headed for the OHL for his draft season. With the COVID pandemic raging, and the OHL season not starting on time, Petrov opted to stay in Russia. He played for MHK Krylia Sovetov Moskva in the MHL. Petrov scored 22 goals and 20 assists for 42 points in 58 games this season. He also played for Team Russia at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Petrov would bring a silver medal home from Plano, Texas. He scored just one assist in four tournament games. Petrov was also scratched by the Russian team later in the tournament. Whether he was injured or a healthy scratch was not made clear by the Russian team.

In 2019-20 Petrov put up five goals and four assists for nine points in 21 MHL games. He also played one game each in the Under-18 and Under-17 Russian Leagues. He played one playoff game in the Under-17 league. Petrov also played nine games with the Russian National Under-17 Team. He put up five goals and four assists for nine points.

2021 NHL Draft #79: Matvei Petrov Scouting Report

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Loved this pick for the Oilers.

Didn’t like most of the draft but this was one pick I thought was fantastic value where he was picked. Will be following him closely.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a start to his OHL career. Hopefully he can rolling and have a really strong OHL campaign and maybe get on the Russian WJC team in spite of being in the CHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What a start to his OHL career. Hopefully he can rolling and have a really strong OHL campaign and maybe get on the Russian WJC team in spite of being in the CHL.
Russia's WJC team will have no lack of talent. Why would it need a 18 year old OHL runaway? Has he shown something playing against men? Oh, I forgot, he can't do that in NA.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Next year - sure. This year, not gonna happen..
Russia's WJC team will have no lack of talent. Why would it need a 18 year old OHL runaway? Has he shown something playing against men? Oh, I forgot, he can't do that in NA.

I'll take your words for it because you likely know a lot more about the team's potential depth than I do. As for him being a "runaway", you can't fault a kid for choosing what he feels is the best path to the NHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As for him being a "runaway", you can't fault a kid for choosing what he feels is the best path to the NHL.
Sadly I think it is a pretty relevant reason, many people in Russia think the same way Atas does. He would have to move mountains to even get a fair shot at the roster spot.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'll take your words for it because you likely know a lot more about the team's potential depth than I do. As for him being a "runaway", you can't fault a kid for choosing what he feels is the best path to the NHL.
Winger spots are for the nobles on Team Russia most of the time anyway:laugh:

And this time around there are so many talented underagers who all but cemented their spots already that it would be a miracle if a guy who hasn't even played a single game in men's league or utterly dominated a junior league all by himself, has had a meager one point at the U18 WJC and last but not least is an underager would make the team. He would have to lead the OHL by 20 points or something to get the call.

And he can choose whatever path he wants. If he chose the obviously wrong path that was a graveyard for development curves of russian forwards for years and years now though it speaks volumes about his decision making. And that is of course my opinion, but it's based on empirical data and statistics. I seriously don't know what those parents and the kids are thinking when they decide that CHL is a good option. The paths to the NHL for russsian forwards are many, but CHL is seemingly not one of the better or working ones. Yet they still do it to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00