LW Matvei Petrov (2021, 180th, EDM)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
This kid will surprise many i think, top 6, top 9 in the NHL one day.
big, strong, quick, skilled, good shot, whats not to like.

14 goals, 13 assists, +14, 14 pim and 67 sog in 19 games so far this season

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
He might not have chosen a bad path to NHL afterall ;)

Already ELC with Oilers inked
He reminds me of Kirill Maximov a bit. Let's hope he'll be better at his pro career in the Oilers system

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He was under PPG in the MHL and had just 1 assist in 4 games at WJC U18. I personally don't remember him at all at the U18, and I watched all games. At that age kids can make fantastic progress in mere months, though. Or maybe his game is better suited to NA hockey.
Or the OHL is not that good(OMG!!!)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
3 assists yesterday, up to 3rd in OHL scoring.

24 games, 16 goals and 23 assists, 39 points, +17

Reactions: Llamamoto

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He was under PPG in the MHL and had just 1 assist in 4 games at WJC U18. I personally don't remember him at all at the U18, and I watched all games. At that age kids can make fantastic progress in mere months, though. Or maybe his game is better suited to NA hockey.

He’s got good size, excellent shot with a quick release, and he’s pretty physical as well. Guys on HFOil who regularly watch him note his strong two way play.

The North Bay Battalion are a strong team as well and he’s on the 1st line + PP1.

Reactions: Uncle

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yet somehow OHL is 25-6 against the Russian selects in the Canada-Russia challenge. Hmm go figure
This is a historical figure. We are talking about the leagues right now here. First of all the tournament does not feature top rosters for any side. Maybe for the OHL btw, but I hasn't checked thoroughly. The schedule of that tournament is always made in favor of the canadian teams which only play two games each in their part of Canada while Team Russia has to travel over half the globe for the first game and then travel and play on a very tight schedule with sometimes unexplainable fixtures like a three days pause between games nearby, but then a back-to-back game after travel for Russia.

Also, the recent three Canada-Russia-Series record vs. the OНL is 3-3. The MHL is fairly young as an org and is steadily improving since 2009 too while the OHL stays the same more or less. As I stated in another thread rating the leagues I'd say it's

1.OHL, WHL, MHL
2. USHL, QMJHL

then everybody else.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
3 assists yesterday, up to 3rd in OHL scoring.

24 games, 16 goals and 23 assists, 39 points, +17
Those are good numbers. Unfortunately with no Canada-Russia-Series this year Russia's coaches don't have the opprtunity to look at the CHL players first hand before the WJC.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Those are good numbers. Unfortunately with no Canada-Russia-Series this year Russia's coaches don't have the opprtunity to look at the CHL players first hand before the WJC.

I know, I was really disappointed we didn’t have the Canada v Russia Super Series this year. One of my favourite hockey events on the calendar.

It’s played at an important time of year as well with one of the games usually on Remembrance Day (the Canadian equivalent of your Victory Day in Russia in May). Hockey is an important cultural bond Canadians and Russians share as each other biggest rivals but also a lot of mutual respect as rivals. There’s a reason why it’s Russia who we play that series with and not any other nation.

Hopefully we get a return to normalcy and have the Super Series back. It’s a good way for Canadians to get a look at Russian players and vice versa.

In terms of Petrov, he seems to play a style of game in my viewings that just translates really well to the NA style of game, he’s strong and doesn’t shy away from the physicality. He has good hockey IQ with an excellent quick release shot. He’s a rare right shot Russian player as well.

The Oilers organization is really high on him as he’s already signed his ELC.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yet somehow OHL is 25-6 against the Russian selects in the Canada-Russia challenge. Hmm go figure

It’s because for the first 1/2 of the tournament’s existence the russian selects were comprised of garbage players nobody needed at home.

It wasnt until sometime under Bragin did the federation wisen up and use the tournament to test secondary/extended candidates for the WJC, just like Canada.
Since then results have been rather even, and it’s been a far more enjoyable event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad