LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers have Jimmy Vesey on the third line and this kid is going to score 125 points in the O this year.

No AHL rule for players drafted out of the CHL needs to go. He’d be up on the big club after like three weeks if he started in the AHL.

Why does only the CHL get to benefit? The other developmental hockey leagues aren’t taken care of by the NHL like this.

He has 11 points in 5 games, if you wanted to keep track.

Reactions: thebus88

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
a bump

strong start

10 goals
13 assists
23 points
1.77 ppg
+7
25 pim
1.92 pim pg
77 sog

Still with little to no support, it has to be said. Offensively, Flint is still very much a one man show. Those who provide depth scoring are largely carried by Othmann. Cranley has been better than expected he'll have to be even better and Flint needs to add some capable skaters if this team is to go anywhere. Othmann alone won't do.

With all the bums the Rangers are icing right now upfront in their bottom six you gotta wonder why they didn't keep Othmann. Easily one of the worst bottom six groups league wide. Some of them can at least fight or hit but when it comes to making plays with the puck they're brutal. Goodrow is the only one with some kind of hands or scoring touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still with little to no support, it has to be said. Offensively, Flint is still very much a one man show. Those who provide depth scoring are largely carried by Othmann. Cranley has been better than expected he'll have to be even better and Flint needs to add some capable skaters if this team is to go anywhere. Othmann alone won't do.

With all the bums the Rangers are icing right now upfront in their bottom six you gotta wonder why they didn't keep Othmann. Easily one of the worst bottom six groups league wide. Some of them can at least fight or hit but when it comes to making plays with the puck they're brutal. Goodrow is the only one with some kind of hands or scoring touch.

Gallant is a dinosaur and Drury is too into the toughness, hitting, grit mindset from his playing days.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cool but you need a little bit of skill and scoring as well. Also, much like Goodrow, Othmann offers a bit of both. Can't say the same about everybody on that Rangers team.

I agree with you.

The way the NHL salary cap and rosters work, it’s not like football. You can’t call a player up from your academy system at no cost.

I wish the NHL could find a way that who plays at the NHL level isn’t so much based on who qualifies for waivers and who is AHL eligible and stuff like that.

The movement of players from roster to roster should be a lot easier to allow for the best players to play game to game. We shouldn’t be stuck with Kravtsov and his antics if he doesn’t work out without being able to decide we’re moving on and replacing him with Othmann.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Are you not including Chytil because he's injured? Chytil has become a very good middle 6 player and MUCH better than Goodrow. When he's healthy the bottom is 6 still isn't great but is much better.

As far as Othmann is concerned why rush him? The Rangers have not been great developing top talent prospects why risk ruining him?

Edit: Also the Rangers banked on Kravtsov being better than he is. It was a mistake (so far) but has nothing to do with the Rangers overvaluing toughness.

Reactions: Kupo

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Are you not including Chytil because he's injured? Chytil has become a very good middle 6 player and MUCH better than Goodrow. When he's healthy the bottom is 6 still isn't great but is much better.

As far as Othmann is concerned why rush him? The Rangers have not been great developing top talent prospects why risk ruining him?

Edit: Also the Rangers banked on Kravtsov being better than he is. It was a mistake (so far) but has nothing to do with the Rangers overvaluing toughness.
I like Chytil but Kravtov is most likely a bust. Overrated. Soft and average hands/talent. Never understood why the Rangers drafted him 9th overall.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I like Chytil but Kravtov is most likely a bust. Overrated. Soft and average hands/talent. Never understood why the Rangers drafted him 9th overall.

Yeah, but the point I'm making is that they thought he'd be better and that's why we have holes in the bottom 6 because he's not. Not because of toughness only.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, but the point I'm making is that they thought he'd be better and that's why we have holes in the bottom 6 because he's not. Not because of toughness only.

Yeah, and my point was that the Rangers bottom six consists of mostly useless bums. That point still stands. The Rangers bottom six forwards suck.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Huh, thought a Ranger prospect thread bump meant that they got a game misconduct. It is the Ranger prospect thing to do after all.:sarcasm:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, and my point was that the Rangers bottom six consists of mostly useless bums. That point still stands. The Rangers bottom six forwards suck.

Eh, early in the season before Chytil got hurt they had the best analytics on the team. They're just not as much of a threat to score as you'd like. The 4th line is trash. The 3rd line is trash without Chytil though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had no problem with the pick of Kravtsov. Very talented winger that had a very good playoffs in the KHL right before being drafted. You can't always know about the character of the player. He seems like he was spoiled his whole life and is very immature. Once he hit some adversity, he crumbled. I've doubted for a few years now that he'd amount to much. If he does, I think it's much later in his career, like 26 or 27 where he has a little more general life experience and isn't going to crumble at the first sign of some difficult times.

I highly doubt that Othmann ends up better than Lafreniere or Kakko. I'm not going to suggest everything has went as planned with those two, but they are both starting to get better, and are going to be very good NHL players, potentially stars. They just weren't instant stars, like you'd expect with where you were picked. It doesn't help either that the Rangers haven't given them prime situations right away. Othmann is looking pretty similar to Chytil in overall potential. Chytil has had some inconsistencies and is always injured, but he's starting to turn a corner, and I have little doubt he'll be at least a second line player. Othmann probably will end up of a similar ability, but Chytil is a few years older and more can go wrong with Othmann than Chytil.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
almost 6 sos per game. the ranger could use a guy that likes to shoot.

Brennan is a year or two away.

Sucks that he wasn’t eligible for the AHL because that would have been better for his development than another year in the OHL. Missed the cutoff by 5 freaking days.

He made some nice plays in the preseason but he couldn’t stay on his feet. There’s no reason to rush this kid. Let him marinate a bit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wow didn't expect Flint to be sellers.

Maybe this is Othmann wanting out. I have heard for quite a while he wasn't happy there.
Flint sucks. They played a good season but it was all thanks to Othmann, Cavallin and maybe Kuzmin but Cavallin aged out. Of course Othmann wanted out. He had nobody to play with in Flint. In Peterborough he'll get to play with Tucker Robertson and their forward depth is just much better compared to Flint where it was all Othmann.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad