LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Cavallin should have won MVP, according to Othmann.
Yeah. And whoever they're banking on to replace him...it's a long shot at best. If it's Cranley then good luck. Having said that, last season was also Cavallin's lone really good OHL season and I think Cranley does have upside. Still, it's a very long shot and there are only so many good goalies in the CHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He was gonna play like this regardless. His role doesn't matter. He's not gonna change. He had a much bigger role at the WJC18 and was still looking to mix things up. He was the OHL's best skater last season and still did it. He played vs men back in Switzerland and still he didn't change. He doesn't care. He just loves hitting, he loves fighting and he's never gonna shut his mouth. That's just who he is.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was gonna play like this regardless. His role doesn't matter. He's not gonna change. He had a much bigger role at the WJC18 and was still looking to mix things up. He was the OHL's best skater last season and still did it. He played vs men back in Switzerland and still he didn't change. He doesn't care. He just loves hitting, he loves fighting and he's never gonna shut his mouth. That's just who he is.

Why are you disagreeing with what he himself literally said?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why are you disagreeing with what he himself literally said?
I don't. He said it himself that he likes to mix it up. And if you were following him over the years you know he always played like this. When he came over to Switzerland he was challenging even much bigger vets to fights. That's just what he does. He also said interviews that he loves hitting and fighting.

Reactions: Dempsey

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I think he's talking about being scratched for game 1 and being dropped to the 4th line. He embraced the role deeper in the lineup and was able to show his physical side.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think he's talking about being scratched for game 1 and being dropped to the 4th line. He embraced the role deeper in the lineup and was able to show his physical side.
Yeah. My point was that Othmann always played with an edge. No matter if he was a 20min or 5min per game player he was always a hard and volume hitter and agitator. It's what he loves and the way he wants to play even though, with his skillset, he wouldn't necessarily have to.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah. My point was that Othmann always played with an edge. No matter if he was a 20min or 5min per game player he was always a hard and volume hitter and agitator. It's what he loves and the way he wants to play even though, with his skillset, he wouldn't necessarily have to.
His mindset shifting to being an energy guy may have played more a role in what he said than was visible on the ice. Thats my read at least…that mentally he didnt get down about not playing his ideal role…embraced a limited role to be a good teammate and use his minutes to up the energy kinda thing instead. Also just a random thought but he might be thinking of it as a sign of maturity hes proud of…idno what it was about but know he wasnt considered for dec because of something hc didnt like at u18s. given his production i get the impression it wasnt about anything on the ice

Reactions: Sticktape

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He’s the kind of player every team wants and needs to have. His only problem he has a tendency to take bad penalties..and sometimes at the worst possible time. He cuts down on the dumb penalties his potential is limitless

Reactions: Bone Density

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’s the kind of player every team wants and needs to have. His only problem he has a tendency to take bad penalties..and sometimes at the worst possible time. He cuts down on the dumb penalties his potential is limitless
Mainly he's the kind of player every team hates to play against :laugh:
I agree he does take stupid penalties at times if frustration gets the better of him but what many don't understand is that much what of he does is actually investment. He's building a reputation. He's done a good job at becoming public enemy nr.1 rather quickly in every league or tournament he played and he always draws many more penalties than he actually takes. At the WJC18 he was drawing penalties at an absolutely insane rate and his numbers were impressive in Switzerland as well. Many of the penalties he draws are retaliations, instigators or other dumb stuff like boardings, sucker punches etc. Everybody hates Brennan Othmann but I respect him a lot. What he does can be considered unfair but he's not dirty. He says he wants to play like the Tkachuks but I've never seen him do slewfoots or other dirty stuff you're used to see from Matthew Tkachuk in particular. He does dish out punishing hits but I've never seen him trying to cause injuries.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Seems like a guy who can really excel at the next level up and down the lineup. A lot of the 1st round guys are top 6 or bust at the next level. It is nice to know even if his scoring doesn’t translate he should make it to the NHL in some capacity

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And it is precisely why I love him as a prospect.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good start, but I highly doubt he makes the team. It'd require Kravtsov completely tanking the preseason and then Othmann lighting it up every game he plays.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Good start, but I highly doubt he makes the team. It'd require Kravtsov completely tanking the preseason and then Othmann lighting it up every game he plays.

Some fans can see that happening and considering the style of play Othmann plays less risk fans would rather have him. power forward types is something Rangers don’t have much of on the team. Another body that crashes the net is not a bad thing. He can learn from Kreider. He is scrappy with skill.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some fans can see that happening and considering the style of play Othmann plays less risk fans would rather have him. power forward types is something Rangers don’t have much of on the team. Another body that crashes the net is not a bad thing. He can learn from Kreider. He is scrappy with skill.
I can see it happening also, but I think it's more likely as of now that it doesn't.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I can see it happening also, but I think it's more likely as of now that it doesn't.

With the amount of talent this team has, if the Rangers prefer the safer Othmann to the turn over Kravtsov. Whoever players a better 200 ft game will get the spot in my opinion.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Does it have to be Othmann vs Kravtsov? Isn't Blais an eye sore in the current top 9?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Trochek - Kravtsov
Othmann - Chytil - Kakko

Possible if Lafreniere is RW. Or swap him and Othmann if the latter is good at RW. Or Kravtsov to LW.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
With the amount of talent this team has, if the Rangers prefer the safer Othmann to the turn over Kravtsov. Whoever players a better 200 ft game will get the spot in my opinion.
That's Othmann 100%. The question is what's less harmful for Othmann's development...NHL or OHL. Him playing mostly special teams in the NHL might be best for his development and gives him time and opportunity to work out and get good coaching. I don't think he's ready for playing a lot of 5vs5 hockey at NHL level but he can definitely be help with special teams, especially with the PP thanks to his shot.

Othmann is a well rounded player already. Just needs to work on his body and on his decision making. I'm not sure he can do a lot to improve that playing OHL. To improve he needs to play vs men and in a league where there's less time for decision making. The OHL doesn't really challenge him to work on his weaknesses. That's why he dominated the league. It fits him but I don't think it's a good preparation for where he wants to be. NHL isn't ideal either but at least he'd have better coaching and better opportunities to work on his body.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad