LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Flint sucks. They played a good season but it was all thanks to Othmann, Cavallin and maybe Kuzmin but Cavallin aged out. Of course Othmann wanted out. He had nobody to play with in Flint. In Peterborough he'll get to play with Tucker Robertson and their forward depth is just much better compared to Flint where it was all Othmann.

In the statement he released on Twitter he said the decision had to do with having two sick grandparents and wanting to be closer to him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Flint sucks. They played a good season but it was all thanks to Othmann, Cavallin and maybe Kuzmin but Cavallin aged out. Of course Othmann wanted out. He had nobody to play with in Flint. In Peterborough he'll get to play with Tucker Robertson and their forward depth is just much better compared to Flint where it was all Othmann.

well if flint sucks, so does peterborough

flint have 20 points in 18 games (1.11 tppg) - last 10 : 5-1-1-3 (14 points)
peterborough have 23 points in 19 games (1.21 tppg) - last 10 : 5-3-0-2 (12 points)

Mar 12, 2009
I’m not saying that’s not true.

But it’s been rather common knowledge that Flint and Othmann weren't on the same page since he came back from Switzerland.
I used to know a couple OHL players growing up, a couple of them traded. Got the standard "wanted to be closer to home" spiel, but people I knew with ties to the management of the team hinted at more ominous reasons (this was a 6th overall pick).

The PR reasoning is usually different and more "agreeable" than the real reason, especially in these cases where the trade price is so low.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Almost like I said he'd get traded earlier this year haha! Don't want to say I told you so.....ok I'll stop.

Excited to see how he fits in with the Pete's team.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Going to the game Thursday and on the 3rd of Dec. Hope he plays Thursday, get to see Ritchie on Thursday too. 20$ tickets, love the OHL.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
well if flint sucks, so does peterborough

flint have 20 points in 18 games (1.11 tppg) - last 10 : 5-1-1-3 (14 points)
peterborough have 23 points in 19 games (1.21 tppg) - last 10 : 5-3-0-2 (12 points)
Not to mention Riley Piercey and Amadeus Lombardi had only 3 less points than Othmann and Braeden Kressler had a better GPG and PPG at the time of the trade. It wasn’t as much that Othmann wanted out as the team had to get him out. There’s reliable sources on here saying some players and the youth of the team hated him and I’ve heard the same from people that worked with the team here now too. He’s young. He’ll dial it back and figure it out I’m sure but over the last 6-7 games he had more turnovers turn into breakaways than goals and things definetly seemed off before he just fired a puck into the Sarnia bench and got suspended which was the last straw.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not to mention Riley Piercey and Amadeus Lombardi had only 3 less points than Othmann and Braeden Kressler had a better GPG and PPG at the time of the trade. It wasn’t as much that Othmann wanted out as the team had to get him out. There’s reliable sources on here saying some players and the youth of the team hated him and I’ve heard the same from people that worked with the team here now too. He’s young. He’ll dial it back and figure it out I’m sure but over the last 6-7 games he had more turnovers turn into breakaways than goals and things definetly seemed off before he just fired a puck into the Sarnia bench and got suspended which was the last straw.

The next Kravtsov or Andersson?

Exactly what we need.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The next Kravtsov or Andersson?

Exactly what we need.
I don’t think it’s that bad. He’s got an attitude. He’s got an ego. Apparently he was a d*** the younger kids on the team. You can see the attitude every game. Runs his mouth to refs and opposing coaches a little and other players a LOT but he’ll back it up himself. He’ll back check hard as hell most of the time, lay out to block a shot, throw big hits as often as he can and will drop the gloves and handle business. In addition to the lethal shot, he can pass too. Why all of a sudden he wanted to start throwing blind passes in the middle of the ice to almost no one I don’t know. He’s had his turnover issues a LITTLE but when you got the puck as much as he does and often trying high skill plays as an 18-19yo, that’ll happen. I really think he’s got a little maturing to do and a bit of an ego check coming and he’ll be fine. The bench thing though? SMH. He’s coming up the wing with the puck DURING PLAY and just fires it into the Sting bench. One. Stupid. Bush League. There’s not just players and coaches he could have lit up but the Sting have a female trainer that as far as I remember is pretty young and attractive. The optics if he blew her up? Holy s**t. He would have got 20-30 games. That stuff can never happen again and I doubt/hope it doesn’t.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t think it’s that bad. He’s got an attitude. He’s got an ego. Apparently he was a d*** the younger kids on the team. You can see the attitude every game. Runs his mouth to refs and opposing coaches a little and other players a LOT but he’ll back it up himself. He’ll back check hard as hell most of the time, lay out to block a shot, throw big hits as often as he can and will drop the gloves and handle business. In addition to the lethal shot, he can pass too. Why all of a sudden he wanted to start throwing blind passes in the middle of the ice to almost no one I don’t know. He’s had his turnover issues a LITTLE but when you got the puck as much as he does and often trying high skill plays as an 18-19yo, that’ll happen. I really think he’s got a little maturing to do and a bit of an ego check coming and he’ll be fine. The bench thing though? SMH. He’s coming up the wing with the puck DURING PLAY and just fires it into the Sting bench. One. Stupid. Bush League. There’s not just players and coaches he could have lit up but the Sting have a female trainer that as far as I remember is pretty young and attractive. The optics if he blew her up? Holy s**t. He would have got 20-30 games. That stuff can never happen again and I doubt/hope it doesn’t.
Does he have an attitude? Of course he does. However, teammates who don't like him have issues themselves. I understand every opponent for hating him...he's a pest to play against and he won't ever stop or shut up. With teammates I don't get it.

Re turnovers and other bad tendencies he developed...I told ya so. It's impossible for him to play in a league he outplayed last season on a team that won't go anywhere without developing bad habits. With nothing to play for it would have happened to anybody in his place. Hopefully the trade will spark him but watching the Rangers and their garbage bottom six I'm starting to think they probably just should have kept him. He definitely won't learn anything playing OHL. Maybe at least he'll learn how to win if the Petes go on a decent playoff run.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Does he have an attitude? Of course he does. However, teammates who don't like him have issues themselves. I understand every opponent for hating him...he's a pest to play against and he won't ever stop or shut up. With teammates I don't get it.

Re turnovers and other bad tendencies he developed...I told ya so. It's impossible for him to play in a league he outplayed last season on a team that won't go anywhere without developing bad habits. With nothing to play for it would have happened to anybody in his place. Hopefully the trade will spark him but watching the Rangers and their garbage bottom six I'm starting to think they probably just should have kept him. He definitely won't learn anything playing OHL. Maybe at least he'll learn how to win if the Petes go on a decent playoff run.
I know you THINK you can evaluate a player based off of reading your little internet stories and box scores and highlights but it turns out there’s actually a little more to assessing a player than that. He wasn’t too good for the OHL last year on a team that went to a WCF Game 7 (it wouldn’t have went to game 7 if Othmann didn’t shoot it wide on his Game 6 OT breakaway and actually buried that s**t) and he’s not too good for the league now. He’s not Wyatt Johnston or Mason McTavish. He had two teammates only 3 pts shy of him and Braeden Kressler had a better GPG and PPG avg than him. So. Not even too good for his team. Which has almost the exact same record as Peterborough. His first two games in Peterborough? One PP goal. The meaningless 4th goal in a 4-0 win over rebuilding Oshawa. So he’s averaging 0.5 pts a game right now in Peterborough. He’s good but he’s yet to show he’s gonna drive a team to the promised land and if you’d watched him in person 80+ times like me you’d know he struggles to score the clutch goals too. Read what Brennan said about Flint, the org and the fans. Then go watch the interview with Pete’s GM Oke. Flint approached Othmann with the idea of being traded. I know some of the reasons why and it’s not even hard to connect the dots here. If he was that good and it wasn’t that much of an issue, they wouldn’t have moved him in a go for it year. I wish him the best. He’ll mature and get it figured out and this should help speed that process along.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I know you THINK you can evaluate a player based off of reading your little internet stories and box scores and highlights but it turns out there’s actually a little more to assessing a player than that. He wasn’t too good for the OHL last year on a team that went to a WCF Game 7 (it wouldn’t have went to game 7 if Othmann didn’t shoot it wide on his Game 6 OT breakaway and actually buried that s**t) and he’s not too good for the league now. He’s not Wyatt Johnston or Mason McTavish. He had two teammates only 3 pts shy of him and Braeden Kressler had a better GPG and PPG avg than him. So. Not even too good for his team. Which has almost the exact same record as Peterborough. His first two games in Peterborough? One PP goal. The meaningless 4th goal in a 4-0 win over rebuilding Oshawa. So he’s averaging 0.5 pts a game right now in Peterborough. He’s good but he’s yet to show he’s gonna drive a team to the promised land and if you’d watched him in person 80+ times like me you’d know he struggles to score the clutch goals too. Read what Brennan said about Flint, the org and the fans. Then go watch the interview with Pete’s GM Oke. Flint approached Othmann with the idea of being traded. I know some of the reasons why and it’s not even hard to connect the dots here. If he was that good and it wasn’t that much of an issue, they wouldn’t have moved him in a go for it year. I wish him the best. He’ll mature and get it figured out and this should help speed that process along.
How many games did he play for the Petes? 2? Great sample size for your conclusion.

Also, I said he was better than McTavish because I watched the games. I don't even know the stats. Couldn't tell you a single number of his or McTavish's or anyone else's statline. Because I simply don't care. However, with the support McTavish and Johnston had I'd be shocked if they didn't outscore Othmann who didn't even get to play with Flint's best forwards. All in all and no matter the scores, Othmann was better than McTavish. Doesn't mean he's more NHL ready but he was better. More dominant. He did whatever he wanted vs Windsor and if it wasn't for that goalie injury and the backup standing on his head like crazy Flint wins another round. Granted, mostly thanks to Cavallin but Othmann was the main guy upfront. He was fantastic and Windsor was never able to contain him. Like not at all. And it's been like that all season. He had the puck all the time when he was on the ice...and whenever he didn't he was laying his body on his opponents or he was trash talking/fighting...he was in the middle of everything more than anybody else in the CHL. McTavish was good but he didn't have the puck so much, kept it way more simple and still had more turnovers. Johnston was decent overall but also very inconsistent. His faceoff numbers weren't always good and he had very rough nights against the puck. I also thought he was too soft even for OHL level. We're currently seeing all of this in the NHL as well. Good prospect but not necessarily NHL ready. I'm not sure Othmann is but probably more so than Johnston.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What can you tell me about Stillman?
Righty with grit and good technique. These players don't grow on trees. His offensive output so far in the OHL is rather underwhelming but I believe he mostly played in shutdown or grinding/checking roles. Now got elevated to the topline to complement Robertson and Othmann so if he sticks I'd expect him to score more. Great prospect, no question about that.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
How many games did he play for the Petes? 2? Great sample size for your conclusion.

Also, I said he was better than McTavish because I watched the games. I don't even know the stats. Couldn't tell you a single number of his or McTavish's or anyone else's statline. Because I simply don't care. However, with the support McTavish and Johnston had I'd be shocked if they didn't outscore Othmann who didn't even get to play with Flint's best forwards. All in all and no matter the scores, Othmann was better than McTavish. Doesn't mean he's more NHL ready but he was better. More dominant. He did whatever he wanted vs Windsor and if it wasn't for that goalie injury and the backup standing on his head like crazy Flint wins another round. Granted, mostly thanks to Cavallin but Othmann was the main guy upfront. He was fantastic and Windsor was never able to contain him. Like not at all. And it's been like that all season. He had the puck all the time when he was on the ice...and whenever he didn't he was laying his body on his opponents or he was trash talking/fighting...he was in the middle of everything more than anybody else in the CHL. McTavish was good but he didn't have the puck so much, kept it way more simple and still had more turnovers. Johnston was decent overall but also very inconsistent. His faceoff numbers weren't always good and he had very rough nights against the puck. I also thought he was too soft even for OHL level. We're currently seeing all of this in the NHL as well. Good prospect but not necessarily NHL ready. I'm not sure Othmann is but probably more so than Johnston.
Some solid points and just to be clear, I’m an Othmann fan and love how he plays the game. Nearly the perfect package for a forward in my book. He’s gotta dial stuff back though. There’s no need to yap after EVERY single whistle. Quit constantly barking at the refs and taking misconducts. My issue was with “too good for the league” and “better off in Peterborough”. 2 games is ridiculous to assess a player on but ANY player who is truly elite is gonna show up for his new team and do better than zeros and -3 while playing with Robertson and Stillman. As far as Windsor last year? We were all wondering if Brennsn was hurt. 7 games and 1 goal while going -4 and putting the Spits on the PP 5 times. I mean +/- is overrated but -4 in 7 is noteworthy. Braeden Kressler had more goals while being tasked with shutting Wyatt Johnston down. Who was the most dynamic forward in that series. Othmann better than McTavish? I think he’ll end up having a better NHL career but he has not reached the level of domination in the O McT had last year. As far Brennan being traded I got it from two completely different unrelated sources, days apart what was going to happen and why. His attitude and behavior was extremely detrimental to the locker room. I’m not gonna go deeper than that but it’s really easy to believe just watching him on the ice.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
What can you tell me about Stillman?
Hinterland summed him up well. He's consistently dangerous when he's on the ice regardless of who he's playing with. Really high compete level, excited to see him on the top line going forward. I'll go to Pete's games to check out prospects on visiting teams and inevitably just find myself watching Stillman.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Some solid points and just to be clear, I’m an Othmann fan and love how he plays the game. Nearly the perfect package for a forward in my book. He’s gotta dial stuff back though. There’s no need to yap after EVERY single whistle. Quit constantly barking at the refs and taking misconducts. My issue was with “too good for the league” and “better off in Peterborough”. 2 games is ridiculous to assess a player on but ANY player who is truly elite is gonna show up for his new team and do better than zeros and -3 while playing with Robertson and Stillman. As far as Windsor last year? We were all wondering if Brennsn was hurt. 7 games and 1 goal while going -4 and putting the Spits on the PP 5 times. I mean +/- is overrated but -4 in 7 is noteworthy. Braeden Kressler had more goals while being tasked with shutting Wyatt Johnston down. Who was the most dynamic forward in that series. Othmann better than McTavish? I think he’ll end up having a better NHL career but he has not reached the level of domination in the O McT had last year. As far Brennan being traded I got it from two completely different unrelated sources, days apart what was going to happen and why. His attitude and behavior was extremely detrimental to the locker room. I’m not gonna go deeper than that but it’s really easy to believe just watching him on the ice.

Yeah look. If I was a Flint fan I'd be just as pissed as you.

At the end of the day I think it wasn't meant to be this season. Flint wasn't gonna go all in this season. Maybe if Cavallin was still there that would have made them add a couple of players necessary to go all in. Cranley has been a nice surprise for Flint but he doesn't have Cavallin level just yet.

Like I said. I think it wasn't meant to be with Othmann and Flint this season. The Rangers should have kept him but when they decided not to, Othmann needed an OHL team committed to go all in. Flint wasn't gonna do that. I just wish they'd have parted ways more gracefully but you might be right that Othmann's ego got in the way there or that there was a misunderstanding where his attitude was rubbing people the wrong way. Maybe he was at fault there. I couldn't tell. Him developping bad habits was inevitable though. I predicted that ahead of him joining Flint this season and it would have happened to anybody in his place. You can't fault him for that.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

I'm surprised you think Othmann will be better than MCtavish. I thought h was nowhere close to that level in most peoples eyes. What makes you think this?

Yeah look. If I was a Flint fan I'd be just as pissed as you.

At the end of the day I think it wasn't meant to be this season. Flint wasn't gonna go all in this season. Maybe if Cavallin was still there that would have made them add a couple of players necessary to go all in. Cranley has been a nice surprise for Flint but he doesn't have Cavallin level just yet.

Like I said. I think it wasn't meant to be with Othmann and Flint this season. The Rangers should have kept him but when they decided not to, Othmann needed an OHL team committed to go all in. Flint wasn't gonna do that. I just wish they'd have parted ways more gracefully but you might be right that Othmann's ego got in the way there or that there was a misunderstanding where his attitude was rubbing people the wrong way. Maybe he was at fault there. I couldn't tell. Him developping bad habits was inevitable though. I predicted that ahead of him joining Flint this season and it would have happened to anybody in his place. You can't fault him for that.
What do you think his NHL potential is?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
1668888492990.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm surprised you think Othmann will be better than MCtavish. I thought h was nowhere close to that level in most peoples eyes. What makes you think this?

What do you think his NHL potential is?
That's not what I said. I said that Othmann was better in the OHL last season. That's all.

At the draft I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Othmann turned out to be the best forward of his draft class even though it's gonna be strong group. He's a project though. Always was and still is and it remains to be seen if he'll ever reach his full potential. Has played some Center as a kid but if he stays on the wing that might make it difficult for him to become a better player than the fellow forwards of his draft class. However, he's ahead of schedule right now and that's a scary thing. Nobody, not even I, expected him to be this good this early. I honestly think he could have played NHL this season. In a limited role but he could have played. He's good enough I think. He'd be an upgrade over just about everything the Rangers are icing in their bottom six this season.

Also, the good thing about Othmann is that his floor is very high. Even if his offense never fully translates to NHL level he'll be a highly effective grinder/power forward at the very least.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3