LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Played Flint for the first time since the trade yesterday.

Othmann scores- the Pete’s cut Fints lead to 6-4. Othmann then stares down the Flint bench, taunts them and has his mouth just going at the bench - Othmann gets a 10 minute misconduct penalty.

There is definitely some character concerns with this kid haha

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Man... at least the look of things, did he pick the wrong team to join or what..

last 10 games Petes : 4-6-0-0 record (8 pts)
last 10 games Firebirds : 6-1-2-0 record (14 pts)

Lombardi for Flint been racking up points with almost 2 ppg average for quite some time now
leading that team to the play-offs, also Pitre been on fire among others

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Still with little to no support, it has to be said. Offensively, Flint is still very much a one man show. Those who provide depth scoring are largely carried by Othmann. Cranley has been better than expected he'll have to be even better and Flint needs to add some capable skaters if this team is to go anywhere. Othmann alone won't do.

With all the bums the Rangers are icing right now upfront in their bottom six you gotta wonder why they didn't keep Othmann. Easily one of the worst bottom six groups league wide. Some of them can at least fight or hit but when it comes to making plays with the puck they're brutal. Goodrow is the only one with some kind of hands or scoring touch.
Well this was pretty incorrect when you posted it and isn’t aging well either at this point. Now that the one man show of Brennan Othmann is gone the Firebirds are 6-2-1-1, points in 8 of the last 10 with Peterborough going 3-7-0-0 since Othmann arrived. Brennan with 2g and 11pts and -3 in 10 games in a Pete’s uniform. Is 10 games a big enough sample size yet? Meanwhile Red Wings pick Amadeus Lombardi (who has more points on the season too) has 8g 11a 19pts and is +9 in the 11 games since Brennan was suspended then traded. Blackhawks pick Gavin Hayes has 6 goals in those 11 games. 2023 draft eligible Coulson Pitre has 3g and 9pts in the last 11 which is almost comparable to Othmann’s production in Peterborough and that’s disregarding the fact Coulson had 3g, 3a in the 3 games leading up to that. Maple Leafs signee Braeden Kressler has 4g 9pts in 8 games played since. Winnipeg Jets D prospect has 5g and 14pts +8 in the 11. OA D Tyler Deline has 4g and 13pts while being +7. Nothing else in Flint except Othmann? They’ve got 2 D out producing him right now. Lombardi has more points this year and 4X the goals since the trade. I didn’t even include guys who are big contributors like Riley Piercey, Zachary Giroux, Simon Slavicek, Tristan Bertucci etc. There was PLENTY for Brennan to play with in Flint who I can ASSURE you will be adding to make a run. Brennan is off to WJC and it’ll be tough sledding for a struggling Pete’s team for a sec. I’d expect….well, I’d hope at least Brennan comes back from WJC (or getting Cut from the team) on fire and helps the Pete’s turn it around but right now the Firebirds look like much more of a contender without Othmann than the Pete’s do with him and they’ve got way more draft pick capital to use for additions.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well this was pretty incorrect when you posted it and isn’t aging well either at this point. Now that the one man show of Brennan Othmann is gone the Firebirds are 6-2-1-1, points in 8 of the last 10 with Peterborough going 3-7-0-0 since Othmann arrived. Brennan with 2g and 11pts and -3 in 10 games in a Pete’s uniform. Is 10 games a big enough sample size yet? Meanwhile Red Wings pick Amadeus Lombardi (who has more points on the season too) has 8g 11a 19pts and is +9 in the 11 games since Brennan was suspended then traded. Blackhawks pick Gavin Hayes has 6 goals in those 11 games. 2023 draft eligible Coulson Pitre has 3g and 9pts in the last 11 which is almost comparable to Othmann’s production in Peterborough and that’s disregarding the fact Coulson had 3g, 3a in the 3 games leading up to that. Maple Leafs signee Braeden Kressler has 4g 9pts in 8 games played since. Winnipeg Jets D prospect has 5g and 14pts +8 in the 11. OA D Tyler Deline has 4g and 13pts while being +7. Nothing else in Flint except Othmann? They’ve got 2 D out producing him right now. Lombardi has more points this year and 4X the goals since the trade. I didn’t even include guys who are big contributors like Riley Piercey, Zachary Giroux, Simon Slavicek, Tristan Bertucci etc. There was PLENTY for Brennan to play with in Flint who I can ASSURE you will be adding to make a run. Brennan is off to WJC and it’ll be tough sledding for a struggling Pete’s team for a sec. I’d expect….well, I’d hope at least Brennan comes back from WJC (or getting Cut from the team) on fire and helps the Pete’s turn it around but right now the Firebirds look like much more of a contender without Othmann than the Pete’s do with him and they’ve got way more draft pick capital to use for additions.
If you read this thread, I actually predicted this. Othmann outplayed the OHL last season and if it wasn't for the Onuska injury, him and Cavallin would have led Flint to the final. It's only normal for him to struggle after getting sent back to the OHL. In terms of hockey, there's nothing left for him to learn. Othmann is one of those cases who should be granted exceptional status to play AHL or over in Europe. In the OHL the only thing he can do is to develop bad habits. Should he tried harder to handle the situation professionally? Absolutely. However, if you're being honest, the Firebirds aren't necessarily a contender this season so Othmann should be better of with the Petes. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. I'm not worried unless he continues to slump in the playoff though. Othmann is just an immature young man in a rather unfortunate situation with no good solution. This was gonna be a lost year for him no matter what even though I agree with you that Othmann's season has been rather disappointing so far.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If you read this thread, I actually predicted this. Othmann outplayed the OHL last season and if it wasn't for the Onuska injury, him and Cavallin would have led Flint to the final. It's only normal for him to struggle after getting sent back to the OHL. In terms of hockey, there's nothing left for him to learn. Othmann is one of those cases who should be granted exceptional status to play AHL or over in Europe. In the OHL the only thing he can do is to develop bad habits. Should he tried harder to handle the situation professionally? Absolutely. However, if you're being honest, the Firebirds aren't necessarily a contender this season so Othmann should be better of with the Petes. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. I'm not worried unless he continues to slump in the playoff though. Othmann is just an immature young man in a rather unfortunate situation with no good solution. This was gonna be a lost year for him no matter what even though I agree with you that Othmann's season has been rather disappointing so far.
He had the chance to lead them to the Finals last year when he was in alone in Game 6 OT. He missed the net.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Othmann is playing well tonight against the islanders. We all know he's an agitator with a good shot but he's showing good passing ability.

Reactions: Dempsey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s been three top 9 forwards injured in training camp so far. That’s his only chance of making the team. If there’s a top 9 spot or two available for opening night, let’s hope it goes to him or Cuylle instead of elevating fourth line players. Otherwise, he’ll be in the AHL.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
There’s been three top 9 forwards injured in training camp so far. That’s his only chance of making the team. If there’s a top 9 spot or two available for opening night, let’s hope it goes to him or Cuylle instead of elevating fourth line players. Otherwise, he’ll be in the AHL.
I'm not sure why sending him down anyway is a bad thing. If he doesn't legitimately play his way into the top 9, let him ply his trade in the AHL. Organizationally, elevating 4th liners in the event of injuries is a great way to see what you have in the system.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Othmann is playing well tonight against the islanders. We all know he's an agitator with a good shot but he's showing good passing ability.

honestly always felt arguably his best quality was his raw hockey iq. he anticipates play well and knows where his outlets are and then he has really good hands. not so much the one on one dangle kinda hands, but the ability to haul in hard or off target passes, the ability to control pucks he intercepts, ability to make one touch redirection passes or quickly flick a puck out of a puck battle. he's not a guy that's going to pick teams apart threading seam passes, but his awareness makes him a good passer on quick plays.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
honestly always felt arguably his best quality was his raw hockey iq. he anticipates play well and knows where his outlets are and then he has really good hands. not so much the one on one dangle kinda hands, but the ability to haul in hard or off target passes, the ability to control pucks he intercepts, ability to make one touch redirection passes or quickly flick a puck out of a puck battle. he's not a guy that's going to pick teams apart threading seam passes, but his awareness makes him a good passer on quick plays.

That may be true. He's a both a good passer and shooter. However, what let him down in recent years was shot selection. Often times he's overpassing just to then take shots from almost impossible angles. I don't know if it's really hockey IQ or if it was just a kid trying a bit too hard but it kinda hurt his statlines and led to actual cold streaks as well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
7 goals in his last 6 games in the AHL

9+9=18, in 21 games. Yeah, he went over a month without a goal.
Classic Othmann. He was always a very streaky player. In Switzerland he scored 10 of his 16 regular season points over just 12 games. He was very hot and cold in the OHL as well. The good news is that he was always sharp when it mattered most, be it during playoffs or international tournaments. Also, he does play the right way even when he's not scoring. He's always agitating, fore- and backchecking hard. Sometimes taking dumb penalties though when things don't go his way.

If he can somehow solidify his scoring then he's gonna be one heck of a player. Unfortunately, I think that last OHL season was kinda a lost year for him but he was always gonna be more of a project anyway, so he's still on track in my book.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our bottom six is routinely getting caved, so up Othmann comes. He has 9+14=23 points in 28 AHL games. He will probably get his debut on Thursday and be paired with Cuylle and Brodzinski/Bonino, but there was no practice today, so we’ll know more tomorrow.

Reactions: onionsack

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ended up not playing. There was a thought he might be needed because Panarin and Vesey were game time decisions last night, and they both played.

I'd like to see him given a chance to play before the TDL. I think it makes more sense to develop him on the 3rd line for the rest of this season than trade for someone no better who costs you a lot, but probably not going to happen. Next year he'll be in the lineup.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Ended up not playing. There was a thought he might be needed because Panarin and Vesey were game time decisions last night, and they both played.

I'd like to see him given a chance to play before the TDL. I think it makes more sense to develop him on the 3rd line for the rest of this season than trade for someone no better who costs you a lot, but probably not going to happen. Next year he'll be in the lineup.

His details are nowhere near National League caliber yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad