LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Strong rookie season, (first pro season) in the A. (for a shitty Wolf Pack team)
16 goals (tie-2nd) 42 points (1st), 50 pims (5th), 0.77 ppg (4th), 160 sog (2nd), 9 pp g (1st)

Yeah. Good to see he's doing well. I don't think his development was impacted by covid at all...in fact playing pro hockey in Switzerland even helped him. Very smart move by his uncle to help Brennan get both passport and the Olten gig.

However, Othmann essentially lost an entire year with that extra OHL season. I think this season proves he should have played AHL (or pro hockey in Europe) last season as well. I love what the CHL leagues do for the sport but there has to be a way for prospects to get out of the league when playing there no longer makes sense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2+1 tonight.

Has 21+28=49 points in 66 games. He'll be in the NHL next season, whether that's to start the season or by the all star break.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
2+1 tonight.

Has 21+28=49 points in 66 games. He'll be in the NHL next season, whether that's to start the season or by the all star break.

Big difference between the NHL and AHL. Who's to say he won't be the Rangers version or Graeme Clarke or Alex Turcotte?

Some players, regardless of their offensive abilities, take a little longer to reach the NHL than others do.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Big difference between the NHL and AHL. Who's to say he won't be the Rangers version or Graeme Clarke or Alex Turcotte?

Some players, regardless of their offensive abilities, take a little longer to reach the NHL than others do.
The key difference between Othmann and the players you mentioned, for me at least, is that I've watched Othmann play.

I can't say what is holding back Clarke or Turcotte from being everyday NHL players. Othmann's game still needs to mature a bit, but he has improved over the course of the year. His shot is NHL quality. Overreliance on that shot was a problem for him earlier in the season, but he has begun to round out his game.

We'll see if he can continue to progress. Will Cuylle was in the same position last year. He put up 45 points in 69 games, but his production wasn't as dependent on the PP, and his game away from the puck was more developed. Othmann might take a bit longer to reach the NHL, but his offensive ceiling is no doubt higher.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Don’t know about Clarke, but Turcotte has had numerous concussions and plenty of other injuries. The Kings are also a joke at giving opportunities to their young players. They’ve also started to slowly give him more opportunities this season, so that’s a slight positive there.

Othmann will get a chance because we need the ELC. Simple as that.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

Why don’t you try comparing the Turcotte and Clarke performances at their equivalent D+3 seasons. Othmann is way ahead of that curve, with the skill set to match, with a more NHL ready physical presence.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

ok....but then who's to say he won't be the rangers version of ryan kesler, mark stone, brad marchand? they all spent a year+ in the a with comparable numbers...turned into decent nhl'ers.

the best case and worst case list of guys who spent time in the ahl you could come up with is endless. if you wanna hope for the worst that's great, but it's also completely irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad