LW A.J. Greer (2015, 39th, COL)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess if we couldn't get Meloche on the Avs' QMJHL-affiliate, having Greer join the party isn't the worst consolation prize. This is awesome news and hope he can take off offensively.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He just didn't fit on any line for B.U.

He was really bad, there was a guy on Bentley skating circles around him.

Hopefully he can get it together.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Is it finals week?
Yes. I imagine this will all play out once final exams are over, with Saturday being the last day of BU finals, as Greer has two exams left per this French-language tweet. Further, Lepage basically says in other tweets that there's been discussion between Greer, his family, and advisor about joining the QMJHL, with confirmed interest from Bouchard/Huskies, but nothing is official there as of yet, while J.Cox has two BU sources that don't expect Greer to leave.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yes. I imagine this will all play out once final exams are over, with Saturday being the last day of BU finals, as Greer has two exams left per this French-language tweet. Further, Lepage basically says in other tweets that there's been discussion between Greer, his family, and advisor about joining the QMJHL, with confirmed interest from Bouchard/Huskies, but nothing is official there as of yet, while J.Cox has two BU sources that don't expect Greer to leave.

S.Leroux (the tweeter who said Greer was coming to RN) is extremely reliable. He's been following the QMJHL as a journalist for RDS since the early 90's. He is always spot on in his analysis and reporting. If he says it, I believe him 100%.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was there a reason given?

Not yet; but seems to be about usage/opportunities. Hope whichever way he decides it's best for his development and he can start finding his offense again; kid has some high quality tools and a great natural intensity to his play.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He just didn't fit on any line for B.U.

He was really bad, there was a guy on Bentley skating circles around him.

Hopefully he can get it together.

That's unfortunate. I haven't watched one games this year but am excited for him as a prospect. He seems to have his skating, defense and physicality on point but is lacking offense. Having a mans body on a stacked team in the q will hopefully allow him to gain that confidence.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Greer will be with the team at the end of the week. J. Cox's tweet about how this all just "Q media" was hilarious though.

In Jeff Cox's defense, there were tweets from a Quebec journalist indicating that Greer had denied the reports, that there had only been talks between his advisor and family and nothing more, and that he was focused on midterm exams.

Moreover, we've seen numerous false rumors floated by journalists who cover major junior teams. A year ago, we were hearing that Jack Eichel was about to jump to the Q. Earlier this year, there were false reports that Luke Kunin was leaving Wisconsin for the O. Greer may or may not leave BU, but this rumor-mongering practice by certain journalists crops up way too often.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
In Jeff Cox's defense, there were tweets from a Quebec journalist indicating that Greer had denied the reports, that there had only been talks between his advisor and family and nothing more, and that he was focused on midterm exams.

Moreover, we've seen numerous false rumors floated by journalists who cover major junior teams. A year ago, we were hearing that Jack Eichel was about to jump to the Q. Earlier this year, there were false reports that Luke Kunin was leaving Wisconsin for the O. Greer may or may not leave BU, but this rumor-mongering practice by certain journalists crops up way too often.

Just look at the source. The Eichel rumours last year came from a nobody.

The Greer stuff came from the best junior reporter in Quebec.

Big difference.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Greer in Rouyn with the owner of the team.

CWjOUQXXIAEylW_.jpg:large

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Wasn't cutting it at BU and didn't deserve a bigger role. He could have stuck with it and tried to earn it but I can understand wanting to go somewhere to play more. I don't hold it against the kid, but even best case scenario I never saw him as more than a 3rd line grinder.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wasn't cutting it at BU and didn't deserve a bigger role. He could have stuck with it and tried to earn it but I can understand wanting to go somewhere to play more. I don't hold it against the kid, but even best case scenario I never saw him as more than a 3rd line grinder.

What's funny is he's going to the best team in the Q, second ranked in the CHL. Not like they are in a position to just offer hand outs.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Lol at the Tweets calling him greedy. Rouyn-Noranda is as poor as you can be in the CHL. :laugh:

Yeah seriously, it's not like he's going to Moncton, Saint John, or Quebec. RN isn't getting too many guys that are threatening NCAA. They are consistently one of the best run organizations in the Q, so I'm happy that something like this has gone their way.

Also, I am not a fan of Cox at all. He is just hugely against the CHL, I have no problem that he thinks college is better but he is just such jerk about it. Saying kids have made a big mistake or made an uneducated decision when he likely is less educated on the topic or the situation than they are just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
What's funny is he's going to the best team in the Q, second ranked in the CHL. Not like they are in a position to just offer hand outs.

He's a much better fit for the Q than college. He will physically dominate there, something he didn't do in college.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

True but as we've seen with Bracco, an underclassman trying to win time in a Hockey East school has a harder job to do than a 19 year old getting a spot in the CHL. Bracco couldn't move up the depth chart at BC (which of course isn't as good as BU) but moved right into a OHL team playing .781 hockey.

I'm a BU fan. I've watched Greer for 2 years. I think he'll do fine in the Q and will put up more pts there. I just don't see a ton of long term upside in him and I don't really feel like it's much of a loss for BU. Would be nice to have him but he's been "meh" so...

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah seriously, it's not like he's going to Moncton, Saint John, or Quebec. RN isn't getting too many guys that are threatening NCAA. They are consistently one of the best run organizations in the Q, so I'm happy that something like this has gone their way.

Also, I am not a fan of Cox at all. He is just hugely against the CHL, I have no problem that he thinks college is better but he is just such jerk about it. Saying kids have made a big mistake or made an uneducated decision when he likely is less educated on the topic or the situation than they are just rubs me the wrong way.

Agreed, Cox is a mouthpiece and isn't afraid to take shots at guys who decide they'd rather play in the CHL. He's not the most professional, to say the least. Not a bad decision by Greer though, seen a few BU games and thought he looked fine, was playing 2nd or 3rd line, can't really remember to be honest but he was playing a regular shift for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad