LW A.J. Greer (2015, 39th, COL)

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Ok, so is he the next jankowski, foegele?
He is more talented than Foegele and not raw like Jankowski was (and really, still is) since he's already 6'4'' 200+.

He'll also have plenty of visibility, as instead of KUA or Des Moines, he will be at BU, possibly alongside Jack Eichel.
He's listed on Des Moines' 30 man roster and was still listed as a 15-16 commit a couple weeks ago, but told me that he had accelerated in June.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He is more talented than Foegele and not raw like Jankowski was (and really, still is) since he's already 6'4'' 200+.

He'll also have plenty of visibility, as instead of KUA or Des Moines, he will be at BU, possibly alongside Jack Eichel.
He's listed on Des Moines' 30 man roster and was still listed as a 15-16 commit a couple weeks ago, but told me that he had accelerated in June.

He has great size. The only concern is that he will have a period of transition from prep hockey to college. It will be quite the change. Usually the players who have done a year in the USHL at 16/17 will adapt to NCAA hockey quicker. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact he makes at BU.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
He has great size. The only concern is that he will have a period of transition from prep hockey to college. It will be quite the change. Usually the players who have done a year in the USHL at 16/17 will adapt to NCAA hockey quicker. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact he makes at BU.

He played 2 games for Des Moines (USHL) last year and didn't look out of place at all. I watched both of his games during this time as they were against Cedar Rapids. Had a line of 2-1-3 in 2 games played. That being said jumping to Hockey East is a big jump and it should be interesting to see how the progression goes.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Is he going to be the next Lucic if he goes the college route?

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you are asking whether or not going to college (where there are no fights) will hurt his fighting ability or style, there are LOTS of enforcers who played NCAA like Parros and John Scott.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you are asking whether or not going to college (where there are no fights) will hurt his fighting ability or style, there are LOTS of enforcers who played NCAA like Parros and John Scott.

True but Scott is ridiculously sized, Parros is pretty damn huge to. Green could reach 6'5 but could easily stay at 6'3, I guess fighting can be learnt in the AHL but if he's got Lucic like potential he might not be spending much time in the minors. Does he play a really mean game Lucic? because that's something you can't really teach.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Guys like David Backes also came through NCAA. The NCAA may not have fighting, but it does produce some hard-nosed players.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
True but Scott is ridiculously sized, Parros is pretty damn huge to. Green could reach 6'5 but could easily stay at 6'3, I guess fighting can be learnt in the AHL but if he's got Lucic like potential he might not be spending much time in the minors. Does he play a really mean game Lucic? because that's something you can't really teach.
I have not seen that type of streak from him and don't really think it's a good comparison, as Lucic is really a unique player.
The comparison may come about because of where he's playing.

I would say he's more of big skilled forward, but he has apparently developed a mean streak since the majority of my viewings (he has gained a few inches and about 30 pounds in the time since, I only watched him once during his time at KUA and it was online so not much to go off of).
I'm not sure if he's any good at fighting, but it goes without saying that if he is, he has not been able to show it as he has always been in leagues with full cages (obviously that doesn't truly prevent it, but it's certainly not a common occurrence).

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
I did always like Greer. Big, and talent. Can play physic but he does not play like Lucic. Greer can does play more skill.
Herbst20, you did forget to say of the whole story in Des Moines of this player. He did play on the front for game 1. He did score the sole goal for his team. The other night was played defense. We did see him as the best player in the two teams. He did scored a goal as defensemen and his team has 2 men numeric disadvantage. Very skills goal. He did wear the demi-visière. Also, he can fight. We did see him at Boston at the April tournament. He did win easier with a player of the USHL that I did forgot the name. My colleague did saw this on the internet.
With 2015 draft it will can have many Québécois in 1e and 2e rounds. I do like J.Roy, Sprong and Greer for my best choices. After can be N. Roy. A good year for draft.
Thank you.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
It's a very difficult move to NCAA hockey as a true freshman. That's why you don't see many players outside NTDP have much if any impact at all. Ntdp play about 16-20 NCAA games , all on the road, which makes it an easier transition. Basically, playing 1/2 a season of NCAA while still in HS. even Out of those players only a few have a real impact. Every situation is different ... Team, line-mates , D-partner, etc. and those play a major role on success

Average age for a NCAA Freshman hockey player was 20.1 yrs old a few years ago, probably a little lower now but not much. So , an 18 yr old playing against 21-24 yr olds who are usually bigger, stronger , faster ,etc is no easy task.

What Larkin is doing is impressive.

Now think about Eichel, who accelerated !!! Werenski and Hanafin having good years too

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's a very difficult move to NCAA hockey as a true freshman. That's why you don't see many players outside NTDP have much if any impact at all. Ntdp play about 16-20 NCAA games , all on the road, which makes it an easier transition. Basically, playing 1/2 a season of NCAA while still in HS. even Out of those players only a few have a real impact. Every situation is different ... Team, line-mates , D-partner, etc. and those play a major role on success

Average age for a NCAA Freshman hockey player was 20.1 yrs old a few years ago, probably a little lower now but not much. So , an 18 yr old playing against 21-24 yr olds who are usually bigger, stronger , faster ,etc is no easy task.

What Larkin is doing is impressive.

Now think about Eichel, who accelerated !!! Werenski and Hanafin having good years too

Nick Bjugstad accelerated too.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I saw him in the first half, I think anyone that saw him last year (in high school) could tell he would not have a strong first half just because it's unlikely the kid was gonna go into the top six in hockey east early. They had him on the PP screening the goalie because his frame is just huge and he's very athletic so he gets around the offensive zone with a lot of force. He had a nice goal off of a point shot rebound where he makes a timely cut to the net as the puck gets sent to the point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgp4PtsGLgs (#26)

I think he'll show more down the stretch and be more of a key guy for them next year. He has a lot of upside, I think a year of junior may have helped instead of trying to make the jump - in large part because of the scoring line role he would have assuredly have had. But it looked to me like he's coming along in Hockey East regardless. Just depends how bad an NHL team wants to bet on him..

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
He hasn't lit the world on fire, but freshmen rarely do other than exceptional talents like Eichel. He's played most of the season on the 3rd line with a mix of linemates. He played what I thought was his best game of the year against UMass Lowell, and it's no coincidence that was the game where he was the most physical. He finished all of his checks, and was very strong in the cycle along the boards.

If he can continue the physical play, the points will start coming from the possession game in the offensive zone and his increased confidence at a higher level of competition.

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
I did watch Greer play in the Hockey East championships. He is a solide 2e ronde choice.
He made the most physique dominant player on the ice. He did play against men 4-6 years older. He is very responsible in the d zone and he is a very strong back checker. The TSN did mentuoned that Greer is the younger player. He did had two break a ways. He skates very strong now. I like this player for Montréal or Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad