L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
download (1).jpeg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Look

Look up Hank's game 7 record. He's clutch AF.
Okay but why penalize a guy who finishes an opponent before having to get to a game 7? Again, Price was pretty spectacular in the postseason. There are some pretty huge upsets on his resume.

Again, I have them both in the same class of goalie. I think Price's health was more of a factor as he misses some key series and probably another Hart season in 2016.

Both are awesome goalies who played on teams that weren't good enough to win. From 2018 onward Montreal guts it's blueline and that derails Price's numbers, Lundqvist played on some poor teams later in his career as well.

Put either of them on better teams and both have multiple cups.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Look

Look up Hank's game 7 record. He's clutch AF.
They were all in the first two rounds, against inferior opponents as the higher seed, against less paid goalies, in series that should have never gone the full 7 games in the first place.

The guy’s a chump.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
They were all in the first two rounds, against inferior opponents as the higher seed, against less paid goalies, in series that should have never gone the full 7 games in the first place.

The guy’s a chump.
Eh, what? A lot of those game 7's were against Capitals when Ovechkin was in his absolute prime.

You have no idea what you're on about.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
People saying it’s “not close” are being moronic

also Price is better

Reactions: abo9

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
E46UG-XXoAgRUix

In terms of goalies since the lockout, Lundqvist lives in his own little dimension sequestered from reality.

And that's not even including his rookie or sophomore seasons, both of which were Vezina finalist seasons and ones where, while we don't have the same advanced stats, he had significantly better save percentages than league average (.922 compared to league average .899 in '06 and .917 compared to league average .903 in '07). Hockey-Reference doesn't take shot quality into account but their GSAA based solely on shots against and save percentage compared to league averages, gives him an extra 53.2 GSAA for those two years. Considering the Rangers weren't exactly great defensive teams those years, I'm assuming his numbers would shoot up that much more if we had them

Last edited:
Reactions: optimus2861

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We do this every year. Lundqvist didnt even play this season. Let it go...

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
There’s no realistic argument anyone could make for Price. Hank dominates him in pretty much every analytical stat.

5fh4xw.gif

You actually think Price is the best player in the playoffs. Helen Keller saw the game of hockey better than you. :laugh:
Yeah coming into the finals people were discussing whether Price would win the Smyth even if the Habs lost

A quick look at your posts show you talking him up too, funny how quick that changes isn’t it?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah coming into the finals people were discussing whether Price would win the Smyth even if the Habs lost

A quick look at your posts show you talking him up too, funny how quick that changes isn’t it?
I think he’s a great goalie. Never suggested he wasn’t. But Lundqvist has had the better career.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

The Marsh King

Feb 7, 2020
I feel that no matter which you prefer, they're in the same tier of goalies: Vezina caliber goalies without cup wins. Elite, but not legends of the game. Outside of that, you're splitting hairs.

In this case, I'll split hairs over the fact that Hank was seemingly healthy for the majority of his career. Price had a chance to set himself apart, and had a season long injury that cost him a Vezina, along with injury trouble seemingly every season. So Hank 1a Price 1b.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I feel that no matter which you prefer, they're in the same tier of goalies: Vezina caliber goalies without cup wins. Elite, but not legends of the game. Outside of that, you're splitting hairs.

In this case, I'll split hairs over the fact that Hank was seemingly healthy for the majority of his career. Price had a chance to set himself apart, and had a season long injury that cost him a Vezina, along with injury trouble seemingly every season. So Hank 1a Price 1b.
Both would’ve been legends of the game on better teams.

I look at Price before and after the gutting of his D in 2018, same goalie but the team makes a huge difference. Put either goalie on the same teams Roy was on and they both have multiple cups. Sometimes it’s the luck of the draw. Look at McDavid now...

Reactions: The Marsh King

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Price is very overrated a lot of the time.

Hes been nominated for the Vezina only twice, with one win. (other time he finished in 3rd).

He only won the Hart/Pearson because we had that really random low scoring year where the Art Ross winner had only 89 points and finished 9th in Hart voting.

While he was great the 2014 Olympics, its Team Canada - most guys would post superb numbers.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
And only missed the playoffs ONCE and even that season the Rangers were only finally eliminated at Game 82 in a shootout.

This is a great point that should not be ignored. Jokkinen vs the Flyers in a shootout loss, it was a brutal loss, brutal way to lose and miss the playoffs, in a f***ing shootout. And we didn't lose because Hank got scored on, we lost because Jokkinen gave a pathetic effort and didn't score.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is a great point that should not be ignored. Jokkinen vs the Flyers in a shootout loss, it was a brutal loss, brutal way to lose and miss the playoffs, in a f***ing shootout. And we didn't lose because Hank got scored on, we lost because Jokkinen gave a pathetic effort and didn't score.
Both goalies have been on mediocre teams but Price's have been especially terrible. Much of his prime was with David Desharnais as his first line center. And he STILL managed to take those teams to first place.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Price is very overrated a lot of the time.

Hes been nominated for the Vezina only twice, with one win. (other time he finished in 3rd).

He only won the Hart/Pearson because we had that really random low scoring year where the Art Ross winner had only 89 points and finished 9th in Hart voting.

While he was great the 2014 Olympics, its Team Canada - most guys would post superb numbers.

I respect you can show judgement when assessing Price's game with top tier D but show no disregard in judging his ability with the team he plays with season after season.

Reactions: MakeTheGoalsLarger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad