Lundqvist - Carey Price

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I think Lundqvist was healthier. 2013 and 2014 Price gets hurt in the playoffs. 2016 He’s the leading Hart candidate again and goes down. Great f***ing goalie.

Couldn’t overcome the club gutting his D in 2018 though. What a f***ing shitshow that became.

Both guys were stuck on mediocre to bad teams.

Staying healthy is a key attribute for every athlete. Durability is a virtue in all sports. If Lundqvist was able to stay healthy, then that is to his credit. It increases his value.

If Price couldn't, then that is a strike against him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Price won the Vezina, Hart, and Ted Lindsay that year. Beat out Ovi for the Hart. He was arguably the best player in the NHL.

Lundqvist only won the Vezina.

Nice try though.

Lundqvist had a GAA of 2.28 and a SV% of .923 the year BEFORE his Vezina and only lost out because of some guy named Tim Thomas

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Staying healthy is a key attribute for every athlete. Durability is a virtue in all sports. If Lundqvist was able to stay healthy, then that is to his credit. It increases his value.

I don’t credit him with a second Hart or Vezina but players are measured in different ways. It’s worth noting that difference.

If Kreider doesn’t run Price in 2014, it’s possible that Price is in the finals twice and Hank none. Should we hold that against Hank? No. But I wouldn’t hold getting run against Price either.

But that is a ‘coulda been’ situation, not what happened. That’s why I said earlier that Price has had a bit more of a coulda been career.

I think both guys are in the same class of goalie. Fantastic HOFers who would’ve won cups with decent teams. People who argue hard for one or the other are out to lunch as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009

This post makes me think of someone having his legs broken with a bat, and the attacker yelling "why aren't you durable, loser"

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This post makes me think of someone having his legs broken with a bat, and the attacker yelling "why aren't you durable, loser"
I mean, is Bobby Orr a better or worse player than Gordon Howe? One guy was incredibly durable, the other not so much. It’s a far more pronounced example but it makes the point.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If Kreider doesn’t run Price in 2014, it’s possible that Price is in the finals twice and Hank none.

You mean, *if Emelin didn’t trip Kreider*.

BothSpotlessInchworm-size_restricted.gif

Let’s not do this again. Only Habs fans and Ranger Haters blame Kreider.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t credit him with a second Hart or Vezina but players are measured in different ways. It’s worth noting that difference.

If Kreider doesn’t run Price in 2014, it’s possible that Price is in the finals twice and Hank none. Should we hold that against Hank? No. But I wouldn’t hold getting run against Price either.

But that is a ‘coulda been’ situation, not what happened. That’s why I said earlier that Price has had a bit more of a coulda been career.

I think both guys are in the same class of goalie. Fantastic HOFers who would’ve won cups with decent teams. People who argue hard for one or the other are out to lunch as far as I’m concerned.

Totally agree. The Kreider run on Price hurt Price's chances for sure, and the Habs chances also.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I mean, is Bobby Orr a better or worse player than Gordon Howe? One guy was incredibly durable, the other not so much. It’s a far more pronounced example but it makes the point.

Gordie Howe is the far superior player. You're making my point for me.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Yeah, you don't have a point. Price wasn't subjected to anything that Lundqvist didn't deal with.

Carey Price's struggles aren't entirely due to the injury excuse anyway. He was mediocre far more often than Lundqvist.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, you don't have a point. Price wasn't subjected to anything that Lundqvist didn't deal with.

Carey Price's struggles aren't entirely due to the injury excuse anyway. He was mediocre far more often than Lundqvist.
He was on worse teams. And still took those teams to playoff upsets.

Reactions: Gamimenos

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Many, many people would disagree with you.

Many people think COVID is a hoax.

That is their right.

If you want a guy on your team who lasts for 8 seasons and has 3 MVPs over a guy who lasts for 20+ seasons and has 6 MVPs, go for it. I would love to be a GM competing against teams with such terrible logic.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Many people think COVID is a hoax.

That is their right.

If you want a guy on your team who lasts for 8 seasons and has 3 MVPs over a guy who lasts for 20+ seasons and has 6 MVPs, go for it. I would love to be a GM competing against teams with such terrible logic.
Again, it depends how you measure things.

And I think most people would put Orr above Howe.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He was on worse teams. And still took those teams to playoff upsets.

Your position is understandable. If I was living in Canada and was subjected to the constant bombardment from nativist journalists exaggerating Price's greatness, I'd probably think he was as good as Lundqvist too.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Your position is understandable. If I was living in Canada and was subjected to the constant bombardment from nativist journalists exaggerating Price's greatness, I'd probably think he was as good as Lundqvist too.
I’m sorry, I mistook you for a serious poster.

My mistake.

Have a great day.

Reactions: Gamimenos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad