Lundqvist - Carey Price

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
So with what we've seen so far in the Finals by Price, I think it's easy to say Lundqvist is the superior goaltender of his era, just want to stir up a debate about this, because I'm a Rangers fan and the Habs fans have irritated me for a long time saying Price is better than Hank, so I just wanna put this debate to rest and see if everyone agrees.

Here are their stats compared.

Player Comparison: Henrik Lundqvist vs. Carey Price | Stathead.com

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
upload_2021-7-3_12-51-9.png

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
So with what we've seen so far in the Finals by Price, I think it's easy to say Lundqvist is the superior goaltender of his era, just want to stir up a debate about this, because I'm a Rangers fan and the Habs fans have irritated me for a long time saying Price is better than Hank, so I just wanna put this debate to rest and see if everyone agrees.

Here are their stats compared.

Player Comparison: Henrik Lundqvist vs. Carey Price | Stathead.com
Buddy you can’t even spell your guy’s name. How sad.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hank. Price peaked higher in regular season but he doesn’t come close to Hank’s playoff stats which are among the best all time for goalies

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I want to say Hank but I honestly feel like a lot of Price's career is defined by playing in Montreal.

We all know it's been pretty rocky for him and a lot of that is bc of the pressure that the Habs throw on their goalies (even Roy left). I'm of the opinion that Price's peak is better than Henrik's by a fair enough margin; and who's to say Price wouldn't have a similar consistency if he was welcomed to a franchise with open arms?

New York treats Henrik like a King unconditionally; the pressure of winning and losing comes from Henrik more than the fans. In fact, sometimes the media even says he takes it too seriously, I can't imagine a Montreal broadcaster ever saying that. That kind of stuff makes a difference.

If I was a GM for a low profile defensively sound team like Nashville, I'd likely take Price.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Lundqvist and it's honestly not even close. Lundqvist has been the best goalie of the post-cap era and no goalie might touch his consistency outside of Andrei Vasilevsky. The guy finished no worst than 6th in Vezina voting for nearly a decade straight...

I don't think any goalie of the post-cap era comes close to:

1 Vezina, 4 additional top 3 finishes, 2 top 5 finishes, 1 First Team All Star, 1 2nd Team All Star, 1x Hart Finalist

Vasilevsky is on that trajectory, but for now Hank is the King...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Their peak vezina seasons werent that far off either. Price has the edge for sure in terms of single season performance, but a lot of his Hart victory comes from the forwards just not doing anything that year. Malkin's 50 goal 109 point season is just objectively a lot harder to win against than Jamie Benn's 87 point season.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
This is like arguing who is the taller midget. They are both overrated, and both choked in the biggest series of their career.

Reactions: BigBoyNoise87

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Price is slightly better and his career isn't done yet. A couple more good seasons by Price puts him clearly ahead(if he's got that left in him). Lundqvist played on average on better teams than Price their entire careers. The Rangers were consistently a playoff team and semi-contenders. There was certainly no "cinderella run" talk when the Rangers made the second-third round or the finals.

Lundqvist also played almost his entire career in the inflated goalie stats era before the pad adjustments; which is one reason why Price's numbers(along with injury) have dropped comparatively as a greater bulk of Lundqvist's career was played in the inflated stats era. Let's say for arguments sake goalie 1 played 500 games in a low scoring era then 100 in a high scoring. His numbers look good. Then goalie 2 played 300 in low scoring and 150 in high scoring, his stats look slightly worse even though comparatively speaking he was better in every head to head year; because that's how averages work.

So even though Price was better statistically in the low scoring era, he still played and will play more seasons in the high scoring era which will average him slightly lower than Hank and makes it no longer a direct comparison as Price is dealing with a higher quality of competition with worse equipment.

On top of this Price has played for basement teams his entire career and carried them to the playoffs, and even the finals. Lundqvist's only finals appearance is because Price was injured, Habs would have slapped the rangers. I see a lot of revisionist history lately that "McDonagh wasn't even a #1" or that Girardi-Staal-McDonagh-Stralman wasn't considered the best top 4 in hockey. Or that the top free agents didn't consistently sign with the Rangers every year for a decade.

This is such a close argument and most of the people who work in hockey don't share your viewpoint. The only time you even dare to make this argument is when Carey has a bad game. Which shows the bias and weakness to your argument to begin with.

Reactions: abo9

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This is like arguing who is the taller midget. They are both overrated, and both choked in the biggest series of their career.

Wow that's an awful take. Lundqvist had a .923 in the 2014 finals. It's not his fault the Rangers skaters were nowhere near as good as the Kings. Lundqvist was incredible in that final. He dragged them to one OT and two 2OT games in those finals too.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Price is slightly better and his career isn't done yet. A couple more good seasons by Price puts him clearly ahead(if he's got that left in him). Lundqvist played on average on better teams than Price their entire careers. The Rangers were consistently a playoff team and semi-contenders. There was certainly no "cinderella run" talk when the Rangers made the second-third round or the finals.

Lundqvist also played almost his entire career in the inflated goalie stats era before the pad adjustments; which is one reason why Price's numbers(along with injury) have dropped comparatively as a greater bulk of Lundqvist's career was played in the inflated stats era. Let's say for arguments sake goalie 1 played 500 games in a low scoring era then 100 in a high scoring. His numbers look good. Then goalie 2 played 300 in low scoring and 150 in high scoring, his stats look slightly worse even though comparatively speaking he was better in every head to head year; because that's how averages work.

So even though Price was better statistically in the low scoring era, he still played and will play more seasons in the high scoring era which will average him slightly lower than Hank and makes it no longer a direct comparison as Price is dealing with a higher quality of competition with worse equipment.

On top of this Price has played for basement teams his entire career and carried them to the playoffs, and even the finals. Lundqvist's only finals appearance is because Price was injured, Habs would have slapped the rangers. I see a lot of revisionist history lately that "McDonagh wasn't even a #1" or that Girardi-Staal-McDonagh-Stralman wasn't considered the best top 4 in hockey. Or that the top free agents didn't consistently sign with the Rangers every year for a decade.

This is such a close argument and most of the people who work in hockey don't share your viewpoint. The only time you even dare to make this argument is when Carey has a bad game. Which shows the bias and weakness to your argument to begin with.
Price’s playoff stats aren’t even close to Hank’s

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It’s the former Caps. goalie for me. Lundqvist carried the rangers in his back for over 10 years. He covered up a lot of their deficiencies. The guy was an all time goalie for sure.

Technically still a Capital right? :laugh:

Reactions: SI90

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Lundqvist's Vezina record gives him the nod over Price in this one. Price however has a Hart and Pearson and that peak makes it closer then one would think. To be fair, Henrik played behind a better team most if not all of his career then Price did.

Henrik Vezina: 1,2,3,3,3,4,5
Price Vezina: 1,3,4,5

Henrik AS: 1,2,4,5
Price AS: 1,3,4,4,5

Henrik HART: 3
Price HART: 1

Reactions: llamateizer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad