Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He should have never been signed.

There was nothing wrong with signing a Hobie Baker Top-10 Finalist to a pro contract. Not every signing produces an immediate NHL player, but Farrell is in the right place right now, which is Laval, and his production is decent for a first year player. Will he make it as an impact NHLer? Maybe, maybe not. Fourth round picks are never sure things!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There was nothing wrong with signing a Hobie Baker Top-10 Finalist to a pro contract. Not every signing produces an immediate NHL player, but Farrell is in the right place right now, which is Laval, and his production is decent for a first year player. Will he make it as an impact NHLer? Maybe, maybe not. Fourth round picks are never sure things!
No issues with his talent, my issue is more with how you build a contender and having too many small players doesn't get it done.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No issues with his talent, my issue is more with how you build a contender and having too many small players doesn't get it done.
The player is turning 23 in November there isn't much race track left for him to blossom into an NHL player IMO.
He's only managed 44 games for Laval this season so durability is a factor for sure.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

While that is true it doesn't change the fact that players like Farrell can hold trade value to teams who have more available chairs for this type of player. Building a contender starts with accruing assets and then actualizing those assets into specific roles. Farrell himself may or may not have a role as part of this team's NHL roster but he can impact the roster through trade value or by helping to provide a winning developmental environment in Laval.

I am generally not a fan of smaller players as they are factually less likely to develop into Stanley Cup pieces but I do recognize that you can't ignore them as there are too many examples of great players who were undersized. Ultimately you should draft players that you think can benefit an NHL contender and sometimes it is not as linear as projecting the player on your roster. Later picks should be strictly asset value based decisions and a player like Farrell is worth a lot more than a 6'4" 220lb player who is a dud in junior/college.

The first 3 rounds should be players that you are 100% targeting to play for you and after that fill it up with goalies and skaters that are more likely to be pros even if they don't fit the prototype that you typically target.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Ok so would you rather have Tuch under contract, and give him what he wants, or let him walk to FA?

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with him, but he seems like a bit of a late bloomer type.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I guess I just don't see the harm in giving him whatever deal and ELC burning he wants.

Feels like it's either that or he's not under contract at all.

Edit: Of course I guess he could still sign, and he may just have never wanted to sign.
Oh I agree, you send him the offer. But I’m not going to cry if he goes elsewhere. He’ll lose my respect but it won’t change the future of our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad