Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Only reason to sign him is that he is what we don't have. Not because he's a special player. With the frame, speed and shot he had, he should have destroyed the NCAA this year.

But I would sign him.

Reactions: dinodebino

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Only reason to sign him is that he is what we don't have. Not because he's a special player. With the frame, speed and shot he had, he should have destroyed the NCAA this year.

But I would sign him.

he doesn't have the skill but like Struble he's got that power game to go with the size/speed combo and likes to hit people. They tried to sign him last season so I am sure they still want to sign him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Frankly, Tuch not being signed today means nothing for me. Not yet. Because at a contract standpoint....Hutson's negotiation is....So Lane...what do you want? Yep. Sign here.

While Tuch...well it could be more complicated than that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No need to burn the first year of an elc on Tuch. Only do that with high level prospects. Sign him to his elc starting next year and an ato to finish the year.

If you have a guy who is not likely to ever break the bank, signing him at age 22 right away means we can let him walk after next year if he has no potential and not waste a contract spot. We did that with Condotta.

Tuch is not likely to get much more in 2026-27 as an RFA than his ELC cost anyway.

Reactions: Shred

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Condotta was signed to a one-year contract for 2022-23 and signed a PTO with Laval for the end of the 2021-22 season.
Same thing in effect. We were not committed to the contract slot past June 2023.

We also did a similar thing with Jordan Harris. He got to low-leverage RFA status fairy quickly, but his UFA date of June 30 2028 did not change.

Sean Farrell will be RFA after next season. Are you worried he will break the bank? He is not UFA before June 30 2029.

Last edited:

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Weird it hasn't happened yet since it seemed like they'd do it with Lane. Probably a negotiation on burning a year.
If I'm not mistaken they can only sign him for 2 years due to his age?
If so, burning the first year would give the org little time to find out what they have with him it seems.

Reactions: cphabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Frankly, Tuch not being signed today means nothing for me. Not yet. Because at a contract standpoint....Hutson's negotiation is....So Lane...what do you want? Yep. Sign here.

While Tuch...well it could be more complicated than that.
Is Tuch's agent the same as his brother's?
Hutson was with Hughes former group Quartet.
That would make a world of difference in the negotiation process IMO.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If I'm not mistaken they can only sign him for 2 years due to his age?
If so, burning the first year would give the org little time to find out what they have with him it seems.
No, it doesn't. After next year is up, he is RFA but with no offer sheet rights. Meanwhile, Tuch is waiver exempt until end of 2025-26 if his contract starts now. The waiver exempt period is the true evaluation time.

Reactions: barriers

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hutson is a very different case , obviously. I would not be surprised if Tuch only gets his ELC this summer. They definitely will sign him, they're just not in any particular hurry to see him play .

Reactions: dinodebino

Matteus

May 11, 2009
No, it doesn't. After next year is up, he is RFA but with no offer sheet rights. Meanwhile, Tuch is waiver exempt until end of 2025-26 if his contract starts now. The waiver exempt period is the true evaluation time.
OK, makes sense.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hutson is a very different case , obviously. I would not be surprised if Tuch only gets his ELC this summer. They definitely will sign him, they're just not in any particular hurry to see him play .

They do have until August 15th.

I think his ELC will kick in next year even if he's signed any day/moment. He might be signed to an AHL ATO to join Laval. They do have 3 games left. Maybe he'll get in a game. Or maybe it'll be like they did with Primeau years ago and just have him be around the team and just get practices in.

Last year, Struble was signed 5 days after his college season ended. If Tuch is signed now, I don't expect it to be 5 days because Struble signing was in March, so they had time. With Tuch, they don't if they want him with Laval or Montreal. Both their regular seasons are almost done.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

They do have until August 15th.

I think his ELC will kick in next year even if he's signed any day/moment. He might be signed to an AHL ATO to join Laval. They do have 3 games left. Maybe he'll get in a game. Or maybe it'll be like they did with Primeau years ago and just have him be around the team and just get practices in.

Last year, Struble was signed 5 days after his college season ended. If Tuch is signed now, I don't expect it to be 5 days because Struble signing was in March, so they had time. With Tuch, they don't if they want him with Laval or Montreal. Both their regular seasons are almost done.
I wonder if he is contemplating UFA...Habs have had 4 years to sign him....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad