Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Tuch and Florian are good picks to one day land that Lucic type player. Both guys have the size and physicality, but importantly have skating ability and some skills. Habs too often have just gone for the size and truculence without the other qualities. Florian is especially impressive so far but I would definitely keep Tuch.

Reactions: phillytennis

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Especially when you look at what Struble did after 4 years of the NCAA.

Luke Tuch could similarly be more effective in the NHL than he has been at that level because of the style of game he plays.
I agree with your point, it should help.

Generally speaking, I feel bigger player with skills and physicality translates their game better to the pros than most diminutive scorers.

I'll always admit personally I was wrong about Struble as his transition to the pros was so much better than I anticipated. I speculate even management was surprised with this.

However, to predict how Tuch's transition might go, your guess is probably as good as mine. For every seemless transition like Struble's, there is a lot of players who can't figure it out as fast or their skillset aren't as pro-league friendly.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Where's the notion that MSL likes a soft team coming from - just because the ORGANIZATION sent Xhekaj down to work on his complete game?
It's a question. And it doesn't have to be the extreme of MSL" liking" a soft team, it could be that he has a lower threshold for guys that play a rougher game. So I think MSL preferred Hartis' game when Wifi was still up, while I preferred WiFi.

True enough that Hughes as GM brings guys up and down, but I'm thinking there is some discussion with the coach. And no problem with Wifi going down to work on things. But I think Harris needs to work on offense and be a bit more ascertive, but he is still up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's a question. And it doesn't have to be the extreme of MSL" liking" a soft team, it could be that he has a lower threshold for guys that play a rougher game. So I think MSL preferred Hartis' game when Wifi was still up, while I preferred WiFi.

True enough that Hughes as GM brings guys up and down, but I'm thinking there is some discussion with the coach. And no problem with Wifi going down to work on things. But I think Harris needs to work on offense and be a bit more ascertive, but he is still up.

Well the simple answer to that is...

Jordan Harris would have to clear waivers.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Tuch lacks top end skill and speed to be a top 6 forward consistently but he will IMO definitely eventually make the NHL.

He already has an NHL body and unlike Anderson and Armia he loves playing in the dirty areas. So tuck loves the front of the net, the boards, he is fantastic fore checker and relentless in that, and a very good two way forward. He is also one of the leaders in Boston University, wears an "A" but is seen on the ice when they are down a goal or up a goal in close games. His coach relies on him a lot. At the beginning of the year he was playing with Celebrini to "mentor" him and so nobody would mess with Celebrini.

Anyways, bottom 6 forward who will from time to time be bumped to a top line depending on the situation and the type of forward we do not have on the team or in our prospect pool.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well the simple answer to that is...

Jordan Harris would have to clear waivers.
😳

Lol. Okay. Still Harris is a good example for me. I would have been playing Wifi more than Harris and MSL played Harris more. Doesn't mean MSL wants a cream puff team and I want some Enforcer blue line, just that there are preferences.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Regarding Tuch, an NHL team is only big and tough if it has size and toughness up and down the lineup.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
😳

Lol. Okay. Still Harris is a good example for me. I would have been playing Wifi more than Harris and MSL played Harris more. Doesn't mean MSL wants a cream puff team and I want some Enforcer blue line, just that there are preferences.

There are multiple plausible legitimate reasons for the Habs' to play Harris in the NHL and Xhekaj in the AHL.

Among these, it maximizes the development and trade value of everybody involved. Harris for example has already played three (four?) years in the NCAA, so there is no advantage to playing him in the AHL. By playing Harris in the NHL, his development and his trade value is being maximized. Meanwhile, Xhekaj can develop his game splendidly in the AHL, and seems to be doing so.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There are multiple plausible legitimate reasons for the Habs' to play Harris in the NHL and Xhekaj in the AHL.

Among these, it maximizes the development and trade value of everybody involved. Harris for example has already played three (four?) years in the NCAA, so there is no advantage to playing him in the AHL. By playing Harris in the NHL, his development and his trade value is being maximized. Meanwhile, Xhekaj can develop his game splendidly in the AHL, and seems to be doing so.
Well Harris and others being waiver eligible while Wifi is exempt is correct asset management and reason enough to have him in the AHL.

I have no issue with him being in the AHL. I stand by that MSL prefers what Harris brings at the. moment, to what Wifi does. Not saying overwhelmingly so, but just prefers his game more. I don't think that's so contentious.

Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I stand by that MSL prefers what Harris brings at the. moment, to what Wifi does. Not saying overwhelmingly so, but just prefers his game more. I don't think that's so contentious.

I do not agree with that assessment at all and there isn't a shred of evidence to support that claim. I respect that this is your opinion but I would argue that it is devoid of any real evidence. Xhekaj was easily our worst dman when he went down as he was turning the puck over and out of position at alarming rates, thus the demotion. There is no reason to believe that MSL thinks that Harris is a better long term fit, only that MSL may have believed, and correctly so imo that Harris was currently performing at a higher level than Xhekaj.

The combination of waivers and performance made this decision a viable option, looking any further into it without inside knowledge is closing in on tin foil hat territory.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I do not agree with that assessment at all and there isn't a shred of evidence to support that claim. I respect that this is your opinion but I would argue that it is devoid of any real evidence. Xhekaj was easily our worst dman when he went down as he was turning the puck over and out of position at alarming rates, thus the demotion. There is no reason to believe that MSL thinks that Harris is a better long term fit, only that MSL may have believed, and correctly so imo that Harris was currently performing at a higher level than Xhekaj.

The combination of waivers and performance made this decision a viable option, looking any further into it without inside knowledge is closing in on tin foil hat territory.
Appears I'm in a minority of one. Its cool. Possibly I'm seeing it wrong, but no reason to keep peeing in the wind on the board so I'll stop replying here.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Everybody who has walked the face of this planet has underestimated Struble.

There were some of us who held fast in our belief and I suspect that Hughes, Gorton and the people around him knew better than to foolishly write him off. You can already see some of the same behaviour regarding Reinbacher much like the same type of fans did with McDonagh. Admittedly the latter two are higher profile but the layman will almost always view a prospect through the lens of their stats and that is simply an entirely backwards methodology.

The least knowledgeable fans always lean on stats due to an inability to recognize talent. And....not just fans, fake scouts like Pronman who again doubled down on Lane Hutson being a better skater than Kaiden Guhle lol. Most people including that clown are just not even close to being able to take part in a meaningful conversation about hockey prospects.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad